• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU to the Big 12 in the next two days...

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you do not think that Virginia tech joining the Big Ten would not warrant the BTN being on people's cable bills, you have never been to DC.

Read this:
The Geography of College Football Fans (and Realignment Chaos) - NYTimes.com

Play with this:
CommonCensus Hotspot Sports Map

Problem is, there's a huge difference between what team are you a fan of, and are you an actual fan. Someone who is from Nebraska and says they are a Nebraska fan is likely an actual fan. Someone from NYC and says they are a Rutgers fan likely has never watched a CFB game in their life. The closer you are to a city in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, the less likely you are to care at all about CFB.

And do you honestly think that if you went around DC asking random people if they would pay $12 a year for the BTN, they would say yes? Hell, go ahead and offer them season tickets for any CFB team vs. 1 ticket to a Redskins game, and watch them choose the latter.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, there's a huge difference between what team are you a fan of, and are you an actual fan. Someone who is from Nebraska and says they are a Nebraska fan is likely an actual fan. Someone from NYC and says they are a Rutgers fan likely has never watched a CFB game in their life. The closer you are to a city in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, the less likely you are to care at all about CFB.

And do you honestly think that if you went around DC asking random people if they would pay $12 a year for the BTN, they would say yes? Hell, go ahead and offer them season tickets for any CFB team vs. 1 ticket to a Redskins game, and watch them choose the latter.

If VT and or Maryland were in the B1G, then yes, a dollar more a month on their cable bill would not be an issue. You are talking about my home town....:L

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem is that I am a Virginia Tech fan.

That is the only explanation for you lashing out at them. I am telling you like it is, not like the idiots on your team board are saying and I happen to be a VT fan. therefore you decide to trash them and get all out of sorts. If I were an Oregon State fan you would be hating on them.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

me thinks you're just arguing to be arguing at this point, cause thems some mighty big blanket statement assumptions you're working with now, sonny

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bowl game has nothing to do with being independent.

It's all about the fanbase. We don't have a state that's ours. We don't have a geographic territory locked down. If our fans consisted of just northern Indiana, we would have a high-school sized stadium.

Our fans come from Seattle to Miami to Boston to San Diego. Hell, we even have more international fan clubs than most teams have in the US. If we join a conference, we resign to putting almost all of our games in a small tiny area of the country, and gradually, we would lose our national fanbase.

Eh. My sister lives in San Diego and she tells me that there are 6 Hawkeye sports bars within 25 miles of her and thats just Iowa for Gods sake. 2 of the 5 most nationally relevant teams in the country reside in the B10 in Michigan and Ohio State and Nebraska and Penn State used to be in the same boat. Being nationally relevant is a function of winning games not where you play those games.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
321138_10150885404665377_212641675376_21106349_1551960378_n.jpg

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an FYI;

When Nebraska was added to BTN... if you had Dish network or Direct TV, or up in Omaha (Cox Cable), there was not an added cost if you already subscribed to the top 150 channels I believe or 100. So to say that people in the East coast would not pay to get to see whomever.. is not really relevant in the overall picture of it. BTN would be added to the market through local/national providers and thus get a share (%) of revenue from # of people who subscribe and thus these details would be worked out with the provider in question.

Side note: Delany was very adamant that providers could not charge additional cost to those people who already subscribe to a certain level of channels. It is this way throughout the Big Ten Coverage area!

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech in the B1G is about the dumbest comment I have seen on these boards since joining them.

They have no rivals in the B1G and offer very little to the B1G athletic wise and academic wise.

GT is to Georgia what Vanderbilt is to Tennessee. Both are second rate to bigger State schools that dominate their states respectively.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article about Geography of realignment sucks by the way. There are at least 3 million UT Vols fans in the state of Tennessee alone. I know that there are far more Georgia fans, Bama fans, etc. then listed. The numbers are way off.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech in the B1G is about the dumbest comment I have seen on these boards since joining them.

They have no rivals in the B1G and offer very little to the B1G athletic wise and academic wise.

GT is to Georgia what Vanderbilt is to Tennessee. Both are second rate to bigger State schools that dominate their states respectively.

....short sighted.....

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have no rivals in the B1G and offer very little to the B1G athletic wise and academic wise.GT is to Georgia what Vanderbilt is to Tennessee. Both are second rate to bigger State schools that dominate their states respectively.

:faint:

Both schools are sitting in the middle of top-10(probably top 7) recruiting states.

OSU gets players out of those two areas already but it would be so much easier telling a mother you can watch a game in your home state.

Academically, GIT would fit right in with the Big Ten elite. The only thing is that they are not the BIG PUBLIC STATE UNIVERSITY that is the Big Ten profile(outside of NU)

VaTech is certainly as good as Nebraska and is probably closer to IU than it is to the Huskers academically.

VaTech is also pretty good at football and GIT has alot of potential with history.

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of rivals:

You don't think VaTech vs PSU in Dover,Maryland wouldn't be a national game every year?

How about VaTech vs scUM? VaTech vs OSU? VaTech vs UNL?

Some sweet games on paper.

Just match up GIT vs the same teams. Hell, OSU has NEVER played GIT. It would be cool.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no real long term rivals outside of Virginia. Our history goes back to about 1992. We are a young program capable of being brought in and grown within a conference. However, unlike some other up and comers like Boise St. etc, we have a pretty high end academic institution and a big time recruiting base and widespread alumni base.

VT-PSU would be great!

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30,000+ students.

Top-30something Public Institution

Good Football

Good Basketball

Good State

Not really far out. Only about 5 hours from Columbus to Blacksburg(Same from CBus to Champaign)

The only down side is the AAU status and the Endowment($590M)

Those last two can be overcome with time(Just like Nebraska will step up their game)

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no real long term rivals outside of Virginia. Our history goes back to about 1992. We are a young program capable of being brought in and grown within a conference. However, unlike some other up and comers like Boise St. etc, we have a pretty high end academic institution and a big time recruiting base and widespread alumni base.

VT-PSU would be great!

I hate to jump into this pissing contest, but you are thinking of uva