• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have to keep "our #1 starter" in the rotation no matter what even it means putting Heaney, Scherzer, Mahle and deGrom in the bullpen. and i'm not talking about Eovaldi
When deGrom came back from rehab with the Mets the year before at the same time of year he will be coming back with us this year he was the #1 starter in baseball and to put him in the pen would be ludicrous.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
deGrom to the pen?
With the qualifier I gave, I would definitely put the very fragile guys in the pen. I did say I doubt that qualifier would be the case.

If a guy is pitching great in the rotation, I would not take him out for guys who have great difficulty staying healthy. I am a little worn out in trusting fragile pitchers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Who is the number 1 starter.
I would say the guy who can be expected to pitch the best the rest of the season, and who will more than likely be available to do that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When deGrom came back from rehab with the Mets the year before at the same time of year he will be coming back with us this year he was the #1 starter in baseball and to put him in the pen would be ludicrous.
There are two things significantly different this time. This time, it is a Tommy John surgery he is coming back from, and a second one at that. Also, he will be 2 years older when he returns, and those 2 years can make a significant difference at his age. Not to mention, he is one more injury down the line to where he could be considered fragile.

If a guy is just pitching well then deGrom should definitely replace him. If everyone is going great, I don't mess that up.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When DeGrom and Scherzer come back, there no way they’re going to put both of them in the pen.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how I would rank our current starters.

Eovaldi
Dunning
Gray
Bradford
Heaney

Things could change during the season, but I would rank them this way going into the season, as of now. I do think we will get Montgomery so he moves most of them down a peg once he signs.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how I would rank our current starters.

Eovaldi
Dunning
Gray
Bradford
Heaney

Things could change during the season, but I would rank them this way going into the season, as of now. I do think we will get Montgomery so he moves most of them down a peg once he signs.
the issue will pop up later in 2024. the first pitcher that will start the season on the 60-day and need to be added to the active roster will be Carson Coleman (the Rule 5 pick). he will have to pitch for the team in at least 90 games. that would require that he be returned to the active roster before the 25th of July which will require clearing a spot on the 26-man.

next would be Max Scherzer who should be ready sometime in late June or early July followed by Tyler Mahle in July or August and then Jacob degrom in August. each will require a roster spot

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe DeGrom needs to be piggybacked once he comes back. I can see that.

Maybe Scherzwr too for a few starts. I don’t see him as one who is ever going to go deep inning wise this year regardless

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know but someone is suggesting putting him, Scherzer and Mahle in the pen and i was just showing how ridiculous that was

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe DeGrom needs to be piggybacked once he comes back. I can see that.

Maybe Scherzwr too for a few starts. I don’t see him as one who is ever going to go deep inning wise this year regardless
i would set pitch limits or maybe inning limits but you still have to clear 26-man spots for them. we may have to trade at least 1 of our starters prior to the July 31st trade deadline (Heaney makes the most sense here) and return at least 1 to the minors (Bradford makes the most sense here).

and that still doesn't cover dealing with Mahle and Coleman coming onto the 26-man. Coleman i guess could just be returned to the Yankees but Mahle?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the issue will pop up later in 2024. the first pitcher that will start the season on the 60-day and need to be added to the active roster will be Carson Coleman (the Rule 5 pick). he will have to pitch for the team in at least 90 games. that would require that he be returned to the active roster before the 25th of July which will require clearing a spot on the 26-man.

next would be Max Scherzer who should be ready sometime in late June or early July followed by Tyler Mahle in July or August and then Jacob degrom in August. each will require a roster spot
By the time deGrom is ready to come back, Scherzer will probably be on the DL again, maybe even the 60-day.

I am still not convinced we won't have another injured starting pitcher who will be due to come back late in the year. Kershaw.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know but someone is suggesting putting him, Scherzer and Mahle in the pen and i was just showing how ridiculous that

"I probably put Scherzer in the pen. If everyone in the rotation is going great then Mahle and deGrom would go to the pen as well. I doubt that will be the case, but you never know. It might be too late to trade anyone.."
What I said and what you are saying I said are vastly different. I think you know that, too.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would set pitch limits or maybe inning limits but you still have to clear 26-man spots for them. we may have to trade at least 1 of our starters prior to the July 31st trade deadline (Heaney makes the most sense here) and return at least 1 to the minors (Bradford makes the most sense here).

and that still doesn't cover dealing with Mahle and Coleman coming onto the 26-man. Coleman i guess could just be returned to the Yankees but Mahle?
Of the three starters there is a significant possibility that at least one never returns to health in 2024. A lot can happen health-wise with all of our pitchers between now and then and probably will.

You also are assuming our pen won't be able to be improved by a starting pitcher. That would make some of the guys in the pen expendable, so they could be traded or demoted instead of starting pitchers. They aren't bolstering the pen like you and I wanted, so there is going to be some fodder in our pen and in pen depth in the minors.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the three starters there is a significant possibility that at least one never returns to health in 2024. A lot can happen health-wise with all of our pitchers between now and then and probably will.

You also are assuming our pen won't be able to be improved by a starting pitcher. That would make some of the guys in the pen expendable, so they could be traded or demoted instead of starting pitchers. They aren't bolstering the pen like you and I wanted, so there is going to be some fodder in our pen and in pen depth in the minors.
assumptions not possible to prove. i haven't lost faith that the Rangers aren't going to improve the bullpen through possible free agency and trade.