• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this. This us what I am hoping will happen. A return to channel 21 would be awesome.

Welp… there goes my Rangers viewing. Living up here in the FCC dead zone just inside the 75 mile “border” but not having access to 21 is a bummer. Guess I’ll be seeing what streaming opportunities will be presented to us but that obsolete 75 mile buffer really sucks.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is where MLB Pipeline has ranked the 5 guys I am following as potential first round draft picks for the Rangers in 2024.

CF Mike Sirota 11th
SS Anthony Silva 38th
RHP Drew Beam 22nd
RHP Trey Yesavage 36th
LHP Thatcher Hurd 16th

They currently have RHP Ryan Sloan at 30th. Here us what they have to say about Sloan.

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

The Illinois high school ranks produced a pair of first-round pitchers (Owen Murphy, Noah Schultz) in 2022 and another arm who got first-round money (Blake Wolters) in 2023. Sloan may have a better combination of stuff and polish than any of them and could be the first prep pitcher selected in July. He dominated throughout the summer showcase circuit while getting swings-and-misses with three different pitches that could grade as plus once he's fully developed.

Sloan shows the ability to manipulate a 91-94 mph fastball that tops out at 96, as he can ride and run it at the top of the zone, cut it in on left-handers or sink it for ground balls. He has a more advanced changeup than most prepsters, throwing hitters off balance with a mid-80s cambio that fades and sinks. His low-80s slider is nearly as good, featuring two-plane depth and some horizontal action as well.

Six-foot-4 and 220 pounds, Sloan has a strong lower half and is built to eat innings. A Wake Forest recruit, he uses his size to create extension and a flat approach angle to add deception. He repeats his delivery well and throws his entire arsenal for quality strikes.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp… there goes my Rangers viewing. Living up here in the FCC dead zone just inside the 75 mile “border” but not having access to 21 is a bummer. Guess I’ll be seeing what streaming opportunities will be presented to us but that obsolete 75 mile buffer really sucks.
Oh, I think it is a long thing from becoming a reality.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like some of the guys the Rangers will have available to them to take in the first round next July. I think we are going to get a guy who easily fits into our top 10 prospects list.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I think it is a long thing from becoming a reality.
Ideally, I’d be more than happy to purchase some form of a streaming option for all of my sport viewing pleasure. But it’s going to take some different thinking in DC when it comes to the stupid blackout rule that has been in effect as long as I’ve been breathing. For example - I had the NHL package for one season and really liked it. Problem was I couldn’t watch ANY Stars games on it because Sherman is within the 75 mile blackout rule that all sports franchises adhere to. No waivers… no considerations about the OTA scene… nothing. I can invest in an antenna system but being around 70 miles from the towers on Cedar Hill that all the stations use down there can be hit and miss up here when it comes to getting a strong signal (I’ve already looked into that). I could see all of the teams (Rangers, Mavs & Stars) looking at agreements with the Dallas OTA’s as a solution but it’s gonna cut a swathe of viewership out of the equation.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t been able to watch them for 2 years, because my provider dropped them. I was going to sign up with the streaming app that Bally came out with. But they never made an agreement with the Rangers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From Shawn McFarland:

Texas, no doubt, went on a heck of a journey last season. So did Bradford.

The Rangers drafted him in the sixth round of the 2019 MLB draft out of Baylor. He didn’t pitch in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, reached Triple-A Round Rock out of spring training last March and earned a call-up to the majors in May. His there-and-back-again regular season — which included eight starts and 12 relief appearances spread across four separate stints with Texas — concluded with a spot on the Rangers’ postseason roster.

Bradford wasn’t just along for the ride, either. He yielded a 1.17 ERA in five playoff appearances, four of which were scoreless. His postseason debut, in Game 2 of the ALDS against the 101-win Baltimore Orioles, was a 3 2/3 inning scoreless relief appearance in which he struck out four batters and gave up just three hits. He pitched two scoreless innings in the World Series, too.

“It’s been an incredible opportunity to share the excitement that the Rangers brought people in Fort Worth and Dallas,” Bradford said. “Super honored to be a part of it, and really grateful to spread cheer.”

He, maybe better than any Rangers player, should understand the region’s fervor. He grew up 40 minutes west of Globe Life Field and, aside from stints with the Cape Cod Baseball League (2018), USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team (2018) and the High-A Hickory Crawdads (2021), has spent the entirety of his amateur and professional career based in Texas.

The city of Aledo deemed Dec. 4 “Cody Bradford Day;” his high school baseball team retired his No. 18 jersey and established a scholarship in his name given out annually to the Aledo baseball player with the highest GPA.

“Being scholar-athletes is really important,” said Bradford, who graduated from Aledo as the valedictorian in 2016. “It teaches them to work hard not just on the field, but off it as well. I think it’s really cool that they decided to name that after me.”

Again: trophies, rings and parades made it an easy sell. So do the future projections of Bradford’s further contributions. The Rangers, even after signing Kirby Yates, need more arms in the bullpen. They could also use another starting pitcher or two. Bradford, 25, logged 56 regular-season innings and showcased an ability to throw leverage innings in the playoffs.

“We feel very comfortable if Cody earns a spot in the rotation, or if there’s a need for Cody to start, he’s capable of that,” Rangers general manager Chris Young said at the MLB winter meetings in Nashville last week. “Cody’s got just a real maturity and conviction. He knows himself, his ability to execute, repeat his delivery. We’re very excited about his potential.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In his first season Miller had an ERA of 4.32. However, if you take out the two bad starts he had against the Rangers his ERA would have been 3.61. This is the kind of guy I wouldn't mind trading for and have him stay stretched out in AAA.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In his first season Miller had an ERA of 4.32. However, if you take out the two bad starts he had against the Rangers his ERA would have been 3.61. This is the kind of guy I wouldn't mind trading for and have him stay stretched out in AAA.
Too much asking price to stash away in AAA

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much asking price to stash away in AAA
When we start to have to use bullpen games because we don't have depth at AAA, a pitcher like that becomes a lot more valuable. Injuries are just about a certainty. Besides, we have no idea yet what the asking price may be, only the conjecture of one writer.

Also, it doesn't have to be this pitcher, he is just the kind of guy I have had in mind all off season.