• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the way I see it too, how much crazier is it going to get before MLB does something about it? Defer money to their Great Grandkids???
I guess most people need to get paid now and Shohei is the exception. The deferred with no interest lowers their cap hit though

But they are in a good position cash flow wise

I have my doubts if this was offered to all clubs despite some LA reporter mish mash

He wanted LA all along IMO. Pretty smart but so was tanking and putting a AAA team on field like Astros did and the A’S never spend much revenue sharing cash. I like the new draft.

The emphasis on baseball players and owners should be about winning and that needs to be incentivized.

It is a form of manipulation

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Rangers are one of the two mystery teams that are reportedly interested in signing Yamamoto. Maybe they are waiting to see if they can sign him before they know how much more they can spend on relief pitching?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Rangers are one of the two mystery teams that are reportedly interested in signing Yamamoto. Maybe they are waiting to see if they can sign him before they know how much more they can spend on relief pitching?
Wonder what he is asking. May not be possible to spend on relief pitching if we sign him. Hopefully it won't come to that but Ohtani just set the stage with his contract. Also wonder if the two have been talking.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what he is asking. May not be possible to spend on relief pitching if we sign him. Hopefully it won't come to that but Ohtani just set the stage with his contract. Also wonder if the two have been talking.
i'd be surprised. according to rumors the Rangers ownership doesn't have 50 cents between them to rub together

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will probably be the most expensive pitcher on the market this winter because he is supposed to be the best pitcher on the market. I am sure he will be expensive.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from Ken Rosenthal:

At 25, Yamamoto figures to command a deal of at least 10 years. Few would be surprised if the average annual value was $30 million or higher.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Best wishes

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So in essence if he isn't happy with the roster he can say bye bye and go somewhere else at any time...

That's a lot of butt smooching by the Dodgers... :tsk:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boras seems to think Ohtani's salary was strategically held down. Lol

From The Athletic:

The Major League Baseball Players Association, taking into account the contract’s massive deferrals, assigned the deal a present-day value of $437,830,563, according to an overview of the terms of the deal the MLBPA made available to player agents, and later obtained by The Athletic.

By the union’s calculation, Ohtani’s $43.8 million average in present-day value is just above the previous AAV record of $43.3 million shared by Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer, who is a Boras client.

“The market remains status quo,” Boras said. “No average annual value at or above $44 million. Clear evidence of a strategic and managed effort.”

Boras declined to specify who he believes “managed” that effort.

The PA valuation, used for an average annual salary report, is based upon a different formula than the one the union applies for luxury-tax purposes. The latter calculation valued the deal at $460 million. The Dodgers will be charged $46 million per season for Ohtani against their luxury-tax payroll, a record for an individual player.