• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series 2022 Astros vs Phillies

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urguidy could be the unsung hero of this series too.

McCullers took some bullets to give decent length on Tuesday and Urguidy gave them 3 huge innings.

Stros were able to save all their bullpen arms for yesterday and today. And it already paid off big. They were literally untouchable last night.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple things, first being Javier in a game 7 is 3 days rest not 4.

If you throw Wheeler tonight hes on 4 days rest so thats not bad. But this truly becomes a game 7 if you throw Wheeler tonight and even with JV WS problems, hes still JV. Its a big risk.

You basically punt game 6 by doing that. No chance Syndergaard/a bullpen game beat Valdez. They would almost be better off throwing Suarez on short rest and praying, which is still almost certainly a loss. Then come Sunday you are now looking at the bullpen game and maybe short rest Nola? Considering the Astros kill him thats not much of an option anyways.

Phillies are at home tonight, better to bank on Thor and the BP at home. And keep their good pitching match ups for the road games. Switching tonight, gives the Astros massive advantages in their home park and potentially only needed to win 1.
Yep. My bad on 3 days vs 4 days. I communicated that horribly. Was trying to say 1 day short rest. I understand your position. I just think that you spread out a low odds chance to take 1 of 2 of Games 5 and 6. I think the best path for a decided underdog is to manifest one higher percentage chance in a matchup at the expense of the other matchup. It’s just a different strategy choice. Conversations/debates like this one makes sports fun. I can totally see your side. I just think the underdog needs to throw caution to the wind.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. My bad on 3 days vs 4 days. I communicated that horribly. Was trying to say 1 day short rest. I understand your position. I just think that you spread out a low odds chance to take 1 of 2 of Games 5 and 6. I think the best path for a decided underdog is to manifest one higher percentage chance in a matchup at the expense of the other matchup. It’s just a different strategy choice. Conversations/debates like this one makes sports fun. I can totally see your side. I just think the underdog needs to throw caution to the wind.
I believe Wheeler needs the rest in case of arm fatigue.
I've got no problem with Wheeler pitching in a must win game 6 and then Suarez in 7.

Bullpen games are the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.
I'm not thrilled about a contact pitching Thor throwing to a contact hitting team.
But, if he can get through the lineup just once without any issues, that might be all they need.

I would think it's the same feeling for the Astros.
You've got your Cy Young winner on the mound, but he carries a 6.07 ERA and an 0-6 record in 8 World Series games.

Something has to give.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Wheeler needs the rest in case of arm fatigue.
I've got no problem with Wheeler pitching in a must win game 6 and then Suarez in 7.

Bullpen games are the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.
I'm not thrilled about a contact pitching Thor throwing to a contact hitting team.
But, if he can get through the lineup just once without any issues, that might be all they need.

I would think it's the same feeling for the Astros.
You've got your Cy Young winner on the mound, but he carries a 6.07 ERA and an 0-6 record in 8 World Series games.

Something has to give.
On extra rest, Wheeler had the worst start of his post season. I personally don’t think an extra day moves the needle much if he is experiencing that arm fatigue. Just my opinion but I don’t think you gain much with an extra day of rest for Wheeler. I think we can all agree that
Wheeler vs Verlander is the best remaining matchup for the Phil’s.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here I am Cletus. Great game by Javier last night. That pitching you guys have is dominant. Game 5 is the one that determines this series (not exactly a hot take; more like Captain Obvious). Of all the choices in that starting rotation, I’m glad the Phil’s are seeing Mr. Kate Upton. That rotation is nasty but it’s clear that Verlander’s deal with the devil for success has a World Series clause.

If you beat Verlander and or Valdez... I'll be the first to congratulate you...

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better chance of getting to Verlander and McCullers than Valdez or Javier

I'd be shocked if you saw McCullers again. We have arms in the bullpen that started for us this year that would be a much better option after what happened last time McCullers threw.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if you saw McCullers again. We have arms in the bullpen that started for us this year that would be a much better option after what happened last time McCullers threw.
If I'm Dusty and it's Game 7, I pitch Javier on one day shorter rest and then hand it to the pen after he goes 70-75 pitches. I think Dusty is old school though and will go back to McCullers.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could have Urquidy, Garcia, Javier. Depends on what happens between now and then.

All were starters for us this year and I have confidence each could throw 3 or 4 quality innings each.

But knowing Dusty he will give McCullers a chance as well on a short leash. McCullers is a local kid who is loved around Htown and would love a chance to correct his last outing... I'd rather not see that but Dusty is coaching for his first world series ring and I know he'll play it how he feels best for the team...

Should be interesting

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On extra rest, Wheeler had the worst start of his post season. I personally don’t think an extra day moves the needle much if he is experiencing that arm fatigue. Just my opinion but I don’t think you gain much with an extra day of rest for Wheeler. I think we can all agree that
Wheeler vs Verlander is the best remaining matchup for the Phil’s.
I don't agree with that.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you say is the best remaining match up?
You don't play the match up.
You go with what your best options are.
I'm not running Wheeler out there on short rest just because it's a better matchup on paper/in theory.

I believe he's fatigued, so the extra day is to help him be better in Game 6.
Can't really argue with anything that Rob Thomson has done in this series.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't play the match up.
You go with what your best options are.
I'm not running Wheeler out there on short rest just because it's a better matchup on paper/in theory.

I believe he's fatigued, so the extra day is to help him be better in Game 6.
Can't really argue with anything that Rob Thomson has done in this series.
It’s not short rest though. The last time he pitched was Saturday so this would be the regular 4 days rest. If he pitched tonight, he would be on schedule. Agree on questioning Thompson because he’s mostly pushed all the right buttons since he took over. I can see a scenario in which Wheeler is Wheeler and he stands tall but because the Phil’s can’t hit Valdez that effort is wasted in a 2-1 or 3-2 type of loss. But if he gives a similar start tonight, I think they can push across 5-6 runs vs Verlander. I am really certain the offense is more likely to perform against Verlander than Franimal. That’s where all this is coming from. Your philosophy is something I’d be on board with if the Phil’s had the better team. Regardless of how this series turns out there should be no doubt in any one’s mind that the Astros are far and away the better team and I’ll still believe that even if the Phil’s win the World Series. I think they should sell out for Games 5 and 7. I hope I’m wrong. If Thor goes tonight with a bullpen game and you’re counting on 5-6-7 arms to get the job done all it takes is one or two guys to be off for it to all fall apart.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not short rest though. The last time he pitched was Saturday so this would be the regular 4 days rest. If he pitched tonight, he would be on schedule. Agree on questioning Thompson because he’s mostly pushed all the right buttons since he took over. I can see a scenario in which Wheeler is Wheeler and he stands tall but because the Phil’s can’t hit Valdez that effort is wasted in a 2-1 or 3-2 type of loss. But if he gives a similar start tonight, I think they can push across 5-6 runs vs Verlander. I am really certain the offense is more likely to perform against Verlander than Franimal. That’s where all this is coming from. Your philosophy is something I’d be on board with if the Phil’s had the better team. Regardless of how this series turns out there should be no doubt in any one’s mind that the Astros are far and away the better team and I’ll still believe that even if the Phil’s win the World Series. I think they should sell out for Games 5 and 7. I hope I’m wrong. If Thor goes tonight with a bullpen game and you’re counting on 5-6-7 arms to get the job done all it takes is one or two guys to be off for it to all fall apart.
I don't think Wheeler is 100% on 4 days rest.
Just going by the comments made by Thomson and his drop in velo in his last few starts, especially the later innings.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed the Eagles are playing the Houston Texans. There has to be a trivia question in there somewhere

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Wheeler is 100% on 4 days rest.
Just going by the comments made by Thomson and his drop in velo in his last few starts, especially the later innings.
Very fair. I don’t have access to the same medical info that Thompson does. At the same time, any malady that exists isn’t going to be appreciably better with 2 more days of rest in my eyes. If his arm is fatigued that doesn’t get fixed without 5-6 weeks of rest and then an off season program. I will admit though if his velo is down because he is struggling to drive with a big bruise from taking that line drive off his knee in the Padres series that could improve in 2 days time. I don’t think that’s the case though. All playoffs long Thompson has pulled him in the 75-90 pitch range when he’s usually a horse that throws 100+ and in these situations would probably be able to throw 110-115. He’s clearly hurt. I just don’t think it’s the kind of thing where 2 more days makes an impact.

Obviously, I hope I’m wrong. But they really need tonight. I don’t see any pathway to a WS win if they drop this game tonight. It’s gonna be hard enough to grab one more win in Houston. If they have to get two that would mean they went 1-2 in CBP and 3-1 in Houston. Not seeing it. Tonight is a must win for the Phillies.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fuque did I just watch?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1