• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup of Hockey returns in 2016

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Halak is 9-0 all time vs Lundqvist?
that's a bit of a surprise.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not among the Blue Jackets faithful, obviously. Then again, you guys went all in on Dubinsky and Tortorella so...

I did nothing of the sort.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think anyone who thought these guys would half-ass it have been pleasantly surprised. I also put it below the Olympics, but from an entertainment factor, it's been fantastic. It's better hockey than most NHL hockey; for the most part an All-Star tournament where the players actually try.

I hope the NHL stays in the Olympics, but if they don't, I like the idea of this tournament every four years, if they drop the NA / Europe teams and treat it like a real world cup. Take the top 8 ranked IIHF teams and get their blessing.

I have been. Truthfully I wonder if Team North America was put in as a way to force some of these players to not half-ass it. In the sense that a group of "young" players could very easily outplay them if they didn't try.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ralph Krueger would have coached Team NA into the finals, wait for it, wait for it, BOOK IT!!

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gimmick tournament, so... :noidea:

although I agree with Dash, what i have seen of the hockey has been pretty entertaining for the most part.
September with World Cup > September without World Cup.

No no. I wanted one of the fake teams in the final(and win it) so this cash grab doesn't happen again.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the next one should be an all gimmick tourney. Have them name 8 coaches. Then, every player has the opportunity to "apply" to play for the coach of their choice. BUT they can only apply to play for one team. If that coach doesn't want them, then they don't play.

If a team does not have a complete roster on applications alone, then Doug MacLean, Mike Milbury and Jay Feaster determine who will fill out the rosters.

Don Cherry and John Tortorella have to be two of the coaches.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the next one should be an all gimmick tourney. Have them name 8 coaches. Then, every player has the opportunity to "apply" to play for the coach of their choice. BUT they can only apply to play for one team. If that coach doesn't want them, then they don't play.

If a team does not have a complete roster on applications alone, then Doug MacLean, Mike Milbury and Jay Feaster determine who will fill out the rosters.

Don Cherry and John Tortorella have to be two of the coaches.
We can have Pierre fill out all the resumes for every player.

All the way back to peewee.

From memory.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not among the Blue Jackets faithful, obviously. Then again, you guys went all in on Dubinsky and Tortorella so...
Crosby's face still bothers me but overall if I had to pick a neutral team to watch during the season you could do worse than the Pens.

They don't even approach the level of dislikeability of, say, the Rangers or B's.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as you aren't a sponsor, television network or GM of a team who had a player get injured, yes.
Round robin games were topping the ratings here:

Untitled.png

As for ESPN, it was obviously much less enthusiastic especially with the US shitting the ice but the Canada-US game drew 775k which would be a top ten regular season NBC broadcast. ESPN has also spoken in recent days of hoping their involvement will lead to them picking up games again when rights are available in 2021, which would be great for hockey in the US.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round robin games were topping the ratings here:

Untitled.png

As for ESPN, it was obviously much less enthusiastic especially with the US shitting the ice but the Canada-US game drew 775k which would be a top ten regular season NBC broadcast.

There's a way to spin it. NBC starts showing games in January, doesn't it? So about 12-15 games, as a sample...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a way to spin it. NBC starts showing games in January, doesn't it? So about 12-15 games, as a sample...
That was comparing it with NBCSN broadcasts, which are season-long.

Overall, both ESPN and the league were obviously hoping to get the US team involved more and that not happening has definitely hurt the overall reception but this tournament has been an experiment from day 1 and while there have been both pros and cons I think overall everybody is pretty pleased with how things have gone, from broadcasters to sponsors to players. Maybe some owners have reason to be reticent and concerned but if this acts as a springboard to promote their game further I'm sure they'll be on board.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been great hockey. Canada/Russia on Saturday was amazing hockey. Can't believe the tourney's getting so much flak.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been great hockey. Canada/Russia on Saturday was amazing hockey. Can't believe the tourney's getting so much flak.

The hockey has been fun to watch mostly, but it just has a disingenuous feel to it. Now, maybe it's because USA was a steaming pile of dung I had no desire to cheer for, but it also seems like no one in any of the countries really cares all that much if they win or lose. Kinda hard to get excited about it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hockey has been fun to watch mostly, but it just has a disingenuous feel to it. Now, maybe it's because USA was a steaming pile of dung I had no desire to cheer for, but it also seems like no one in any of the countries really cares all that much if they win or lose. Kinda hard to get excited about it.
Listen, the country of Europe is very happy to have gotten where they are and will play with everything they've got to bring the trophy(?) back to their wonderful capital city over the sound of their national anthem.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, the country of Europe is very happy to have gotten where they are and will play with everything they've got to bring the trophy(?) back to their wonderful capital city over the sound of their national anthem.

Ode to Joy is much maligned, it's not that bad.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Europe wins the World Cup of Hockey as well as the Ryder Cup this weekend, they'll be even more insufferable :D

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dean Lombardi when asked about the World Cup:
Bad-idea_3.jpg