• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Baseball Classic

How do you rate the WBC?

• Freakin' awesome.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Good, but not great.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Could take it or leave it.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Very little interest. But at least there is mild interest.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • It's flat-out terrible.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already covered that.

Yeah, you're right. Absolutely nothing to lose. Unless, of course, they consider living up to the huge contracts their respective MLB teams gave them of any importance.

Frankly, I don't give a fuck about the outcome of the WBC. Team USA could win the thing, but if Andrew Miller came out of it lame, I'd consider it an unmitigated disaster.

What do those players have to lose? That's where you're missing the point. They've got their money. They aren't some pre-arb players who aren't getting paid. Players who have already hit their first big deal, they're set for life. They owe nothing to anyone, and I don't give two shits if they play for Team USA or not.. but they really don't have a damn thing to lose by playing

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all said, in the keeper fantasy league I'm in, I was vacillating between Sal Perez and Melky as my last keeper and I dropped Perez last week. Some people laughed at me. I'm laughing now.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do those players have to lose? That's where you're missing the point. They've got their money.

I'm not missing that point.

Individually, you're right. They're risking nothing. However, for the team (and their fans) that put them in the position to have nothing to lose, there's quite a bit to lose. Apparently, that doesn't mean much to you. I feel differently.

Personally, I'd rather see the Indians win a MLB championship than for team USA to exhibit their superiority over a third world country.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Individually, you're right. They're risking nothing. However, for the team (and their fans) that put them in the position to have nothing to lose, there's quite a bit to lose. Apparently, that doesn't mean much to you. I feel differently.

Personally, I'd rather see the Indians win a MLB championship than for team USA to exhibit their superiority over a third world country.

I'd prefer a Cardinals championship over a team USA WBC championship, but if every player on their 25 man roster was in the WBC, I'd wish nothing but the best for them. My point is that these guys have no reason, assuming they've made their nut, to not play.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And every single injury in the WBC is just as likely to happen in spring training. Whether it happens with the club or not, an injury is an injury. I don't care where the guy gets hurt. Just like Archer the other night, he had an innings cap and he/team USA respected that

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason? How about they don't give a fuck? That's a good reason and I happen to agree with it.

Did I say they had to give a fuck? My original statement was that if the US wanted to/could, they'd have the best lineup by far.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all said, in the keeper fantasy league I'm in, I was vacillating between Sal Perez and Melky as my last keeper and I dropped Perez last week. Some people laughed at me. I'm laughing now.
Remember when Melky gave one of the Indians pitchers a face burger last year?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And every single injury in the WBC is just as likely to happen in spring training. Whether it happens with the club or not, an injury is an injury. I don't care where the guy gets hurt. Just like Archer the other night, he had an innings cap and he/team USA respected that

An innings cap is not an injury.

What I'm saying is that I'd hate to see the possibility of an Indians championship impaired because of an injury that took place during the WBC.

Maybe we have differing opions because as a Cardinals fan you've an enjoyed MLB championship and I haven't.

Or maybe it's a fate/causality discussion.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An innings cap is not an injury.

What I'm saying is that I'd hate to see the possibility of an Indians championship impaired because of an injury that took place during the WBC.

Maybe we have differing opions because as a Cardinals fan you've an enjoyed MLB championship and I haven't.

Or maybe it's a fate/causality discussion.

I didn't say an innings cap is an injury.

But how many pitches/innings would Archer be throwing if he was the SP for the Rays today? That same amount. The injury possibilities are the same. They didn't change the rules for base running for the WBC or anything like that

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My original statement was that if the US wanted to/could, they'd have the best lineup by far.

So the discussion hinges on the notion that I disagree?

C - Posey
1B - Goldschmidt
2B - Dozier
3B - Bryant
SS - Seager
LF - Braun
CF - Trout
RF - Betts
DH - Donaldson

Kershaw
Scherzer
Syndergaard
Verlander
Kluber
Lester

A truly motivated and truly all-star US team would likely destroy any other country's team.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Were I a Rays fan, I'd rather it be the Rays' staff looking after Archer's well being than Jim Leyland. Call me crazy.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were I a Rays fan, I'd rather it be the Rays' staff looking after Archer's well being than Jim Leyland. Call me crazy.

Crazy.

Archer went up to Leyland and said that he wasn't going to throw anymore because of a prior discussion with the Rays.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Perez went up to Omar Vizquel?

Probably not. But if it was his day to catch in a spring training game, is he going up to his manager and asking "coachhhhhhhh.... can you please take me out of the game? I don't want to get hurtttttt"

Should players never play in winter ball? The Arizona Fall League? The Olympics, once that's reinstated, just because injuries happen?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not. But if it was his day to catch in a spring training game, is he going up to his manager and asking "coachhhhhhhh.... can you please take me out of the game? I don't want to get hurtttttt"

I don't believe that Sal Perez was destined to get hurt on March 10th, 2017.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that Sal Perez was destined to get hurt on March 10th, 2017.

I'm not God so I don't know either. But I don't believe in destiny, so I'm not too bent out of shape about it. If Yadi goes down playing for the Puerto Rican team, so be it. Shit happens.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not God so I don't know either. But I don't believe in destiny, so I'm not too bent out of shape about it. If Yadi goes down playing for the Puerto Rican team, so be it. Shit happens.

Like I said, it very well could be that our perspectives are different due to the difference between the Cardinals' and Indians' histories.

Also, Yadi takes steroids.