• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: With the 5th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an easy decision.
Tua has the highest risk but highest ceiling. His accuracy will set him apart when he is healthy. He played with a bunch of NFL players at Bama including his WRs. He is a magnet for getting hurt. You can win with him but you better have a good backup QB just in case.
Love was excellent two years ago with better coaching and more team talent. His INTs last year are concerning. His decision making raises questions. A year of development and coaching would serve him well. The Fins have way better receivers than he played with.
Herbert will need a good oline to be successful. When he is given time though he can pick a defense apart. He is a franchise QB in my opinion. He carries less risk than the other guys. He can make plays with his runs when he has to but is a pocket passer. I like that he didn't turn the ball over much in college. He had a good oline and not a lot to work with for receivers. If you build him a solid oline it could work.

If the Chargers sign Brady than the Fins really have just the Panthers to worry about RE trading up. I can't see teams above the Fins trading down out of the top 10 and missing the top players in this draft.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua, Love, Herbert...in that order.
Would you still take Love at 5 or try to move up with the 18 pick? I'm just not sure how long those guys will last.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an easy decision.
Tua has the highest risk but highest ceiling. His accuracy will set him apart when he is healthy. He played with a bunch of NFL players at Bama including his WRs. He is a magnet for getting hurt. You can win with him but you better have a good backup QB just in case.
Love was excellent two years ago with better coaching and more team talent. His INTs last year are concerning. His decision making raises questions. A year of development and coaching would serve him well. The Fins have way better receivers than he played with.
Herbert will need a good oline to be successful. When he is given time though he can pick a defense apart. He is a franchise QB in my opinion. He carries less risk than the other guys. He can make plays with his runs when he has to but is a pocket passer. I like that he didn't turn the ball over much in college. He had a good oline and not a lot to work with for receivers. If you build him a solid oline it could work.

If the Chargers sign Brady than the Fins really have just the Panthers to worry about RE trading up. I can't see teams above the Fins trading down out of the top 10 and missing the top players in this draft.
So are you ok with either one of the three? Would you take any of them at 5 or trade back for picks or move up from 18? Would be tough not to take a QB at 5 such a gamble but they could trade up from 18 to get an OT if they feel that it's necessary.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention that they still have Rosen who will worst case be your backup QB so they can afford to have these young QBs sit next season. No need to rush them in and Rosen can compete with them in the future. Good situation to be in.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to take a QB at 5 one way or another.
Yeah I think that I have to agree it's better to reach for a QB than miss out on your guy. Someone will swoop in. So QB at 5 or wait until next year is the most likely outcome unless there is a sleeper later on.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you ok with either one of the three? Would you take any of them at 5 or trade back for picks or move up from 18? Would be tough not to take a QB at 5 such a gamble but they could trade up from 18 to get an OT if they feel that it's necessary.

I would pick Tua or Herbert at 5 or trade down to pick Love or another QB. If I couldn't trade down I'd wait to 18 and pick best available QB after adding an OT or a top defensive player at 5.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would pick Tua or Herbert at 5 or trade down to pick Love or another QB. If I couldn't trade down I'd wait to 18 and pick best available QB after adding an OT or a top defensive player at 5.
Love is definitely a wildcard he's all over everyone's board. If you don't like Tua or Herbert but like Love I think you can trade back and get him still. Lots of ways to go about this which I guess is better than no options...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one other option I'd consider is give up a 2nd rounder In a tradeup. That's only if you have a clear favorite between Herbert and Tua, otherwise, I'd wait until 5. I doubt there are 3 QBs picked in the top 4. If so, there would be some absolute star defensive players available at 5 or the top OT to pick. Trade down options would be available.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one other option I'd consider is give up a 2nd rounder In a tradeup. That's only if you have a clear favorite between Herbert and Tua, otherwise, I'd wait until 5. I doubt there are 3 QBs picked in the top 4. If so, there would be some absolute star defensive players available at 5 or the top OT to pick. Trade down options would be available.
Exactly they really can't go wrong unless they have their heart set on a certain QB. If they like Love they could trade back and still get him or trade up with 18 which may be riskier. Tough call... but they could end up with an elite player in doing so.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I researched drafts in the last 10 years to see how many QBs were taken in the top 5. There has not been 3 QBs taken in any of them. In fact 2 QBs were taken only 4 times in 10 years. That means it's highly unlikely that both Tua and Herbert are not available at pick 5.( Burrow will be gone unless the team is willing to pay a kings ransom for him.)

Each year there are defensive players that are clear future stars. This year is no different. Young at DE, Okudah at CB, Simmons at LB, Brown and Kinlaw at DT, add in that teams need quality OTs and it's understandable that QBs slide.

I have no problem with Herbert at 5 or with a tradeup to 4 if necessary.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I researched drafts in the last 10 years to see how many QBs were taken in the top 5. There has not been 3 QBs taken in any of them. In fact 2 QBs were taken only 4 times in 10 years. That means it's highly unlikely that both Tua and Herbert are not available at pick 5.( Burrow will be gone unless the team is willing to pay a kings ransom for him.)

Each year there are defensive players that are clear future stars. This year is no different. Young at DE, Okudah at CB, Simmons at LB, Brown and Kinlaw at DT, add in that teams need quality OTs and it's understandable that QBs slide.

I have no problem with Herbert at 5 or with a tradeup to 4 if necessary.
I think that we'll know more after FA starts. If the chargers sign a guy like brady or bridgewater they'll be out of the QB market this year. If anything may take one later on in the draft. Otherwise its possible that 3 or even 4 QB's could go top ten although its more likely that some fall as it normally plays out that way. I don't want them trading up for a QB unless its reasonable and they are 110% confident in making that decision.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year there are more quality FA QBs available than in most years. That may help the Fins.

The Chargers would be a good choice for Brady if he decides not to stay with the Pats. That's actually where I think he'll go. That's a team that could be competitive right away and he is from California.

RE the Fins: FA should be interesting. They have the money to add some good talent in positions of need.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year there are more quality FA QBs available than in most years. That may help the Fins.

The Chargers would be a good choice for Brady if he decides not to stay with the Pats. That's actually where I think he'll go. That's a team that could be competitive right away and he is from California.

RE the Fins: FA should be interesting. They have the money to add some good talent in positions of need.
Agreed I could also see Brady going to Cali. They need him there for marketing.

Last mock from brooks has Fins taking OT at 5 then Herbert at 18...its all over the map. I think they can wait at 5 I hope they don't trade up for a bunch of picks.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa is a possibility also for Brady.

Last edited:

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think that I have to agree it's better to reach for a QB than miss out on your guy. Someone will swoop in. So QB at 5 or wait until next year is the most likely outcome unless there is a sleeper later on.

Fromm in second or third round??

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fromm in second or third round??
Hard to say but could happen if Rosen is in play. Man they are making some noise in FA so far. Imagine Jones and X on the outside!

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say but could happen if Rosen is in play. Man they are making some noise in FA so far. Imagine Jones and X on the outside!

I like it, hope he (Jones) is all in ?? So, for one reason or another, I just don't see Rosen getting a chance or the love there. Not sure why, maybe he is a bust. Not sure what his hit is on the cap, but if they can hold onto for another year or two to so if there is anything there then all means do so. So if Rosen is in play, do you still draft QB in high round and then see how that fits and Rosen and Fitz, and carrier three on roster. Or do you draft QB in high round and cut Rosen, go with Fitz for some or most of year and see how rook develops??

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it, hope he (Jones) is all in ?? So, for one reason or another, I just don't see Rosen getting a chance or the love there. Not sure why, maybe he is a bust. Not sure what his hit is on the cap, but if they can hold onto for another year or two to so if there is anything there then all means do so. So if Rosen is in play, do you still draft QB in high round and then see how that fits and Rosen and Fitz, and carrier three on roster. Or do you draft QB in high round and cut Rosen, go with Fitz for some or most of year and see how rook develops??
Rosen is cheap for the next few years so no harm in keeping him. If he actually pans out its a steal. I keep him either way as Fitz won't be around more than another year. Hedge your bets whether they draft a 1st round QB or later...Fitz could even be cut if they don't need him.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosen is cheap for the next few years so no harm in keeping him. If he actually pans out its a steal. I keep him either way as Fitz won't be around more than another year. Hedge your bets whether they draft a 1st round QB or later...Fitz could even be cut if they don't need him.

Yes, now I that I looked up, 2.1 and then 3.0M cap hit for next two years. So that would make sense to carry him for 2 years to see if there is anything there. Fitz is like an old, in mobile version of Winston, can throw for 400+ and 3-4 TDs in one game then do a 200 yarder and 3-4 Int's in next. Like you said, I expect him to be gone after this season.