• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: With the 5th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select:

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS Sports wrote an article about Love and Herbert at Senior Bowl practice. Both guys have made some good throws but Love has
a slight edge so far with his overall game. I am looking forward to watching them play.

Neither of these guys are as much of an injury risk as Tua. I think the Fins can get any of these guys except Burrow with as much draft capital that they have. I am not sure what draft value they place on these guys.
I am not a big fan of Love. He had a lot of hype coming in to the year and I didn't care for what I saw in the few games of his I watched. He has the measureables and arm. However, his mechanics and decision making are lacking. He throws a lot of picks. Can this be coached up? Sure, but generally a high turnover rate in college, against less than top tier competition nonetheless, does not translate in to ball security in the NFL against the best of the best.

Mixed feelings on Herbert right now. I too am interested to see how does at Senior Bowl practices and games. I have some reservations on him as well. Most notably, he performed ok in average conference. Nothing to wow me I guess.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. Tua is much more proven than either of them. Tua's accuracy and decision making set him apart.

Herbert doesn't make as many INTs as Love. He's a work in progress but reminds me of Roethlesburger at times.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. Tua is much more proven than either of them. Tua's accuracy and decision making set him apart.

Herbert doesn't make as many INTs as Love. He's a work in progress but reminds me of Roethlesburger at times.
Yeah, Tua's injury is the only flaw in my eyes. I see him as cross between Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. Really a no brainer to me. But I understand the injury concerns. I would rather take the chance than look back with regret.

I can see the Big Ben comparisons to Herbert. He just reminds me too much of Tannehill. I want better than mediocre. I want the guy that can put the team on his back and carry them when needed.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua also has the "it factor" He plays well in big games. I remember when he helped Bama win a national championship. He will have to gain/regain his confidence. There is a mental aspect to recovery from serious injury. He is a man of faith who seems to love the game of football. He could be alright but only time will tell when he starts taking hits on the field. Hopefully his oline can keep that to a minimum but all QBs get hit.

Whoever the Fins choose I would use free agency and the draft to build a great oline with quality depth. The Fins also need a star RB to have a balanced offense. A FB or a blocking TE to go along with Gesicki could be a solid choice for the mid rounds of the draft.

I wouldn't overlook Fitzpatrick getting off to a good start next year. He has built chemistry with the team. Let's not forget that he outplayed Tom Brady in Gillette stadium in a game that mattered for the Pats. He's still young compared to Brady lol

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Herbert is Rothlisberger sign me up you can't go wrong with that. If Tua wasn't injured then he'd most likely be number one so getting him at five isn't horrible either. Definitely don't trade up if anything if you don't like anyone there trade back get more picks. I don't think that they have to draft a QB this year but if one falls to you may as well as nothing is guaranteed next year.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herbert has more athleticism than Big Ben. Herbert made good decisions in Senior Bowl practices and during the game. He's not a bad consolation prize if they don't get Tua.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Herbert is Rothlisberger sign me up you can't go wrong with that. If Tua wasn't injured then he'd most likely be number one so getting him at five isn't horrible either. Definitely don't trade up if anything if you don't like anyone there trade back get more picks. I don't think that they have to draft a QB this year but if one falls to you may as well as nothing is guaranteed next year.

Looks as though one thing is guaranteed -- and that is that Fitzpatrick wants to return and there is mutual interest from the team - that likely means another subpar season awaits along with future if they take Tua

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks as though one thing is guaranteed -- and that is that Fitzpatrick wants to return and there is mutual interest from the team - that likely means another subpar season awaits along with future if they take Tua

So, what are your thoughts to make next season a better season ??

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what are your thoughts to make next season a better season ??

Draft OL help with their early first round picks - then you can find the right QB after.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft OL help with their early first round picks - then you can find the right QB after.

Ok, so you are thinking pass on Tua, grad 2 OL's with for first 2 picks. So that leads them maybe to Love, Fromm or maybe Hurts. Don't think Eason or Herbert will be there at the 3rd, first round pick. As long as they get two good OL's may not be bad way to go, they just can't miss on those first two picks if they pass on QB.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins have the salary cap room to add free agents to the offensive line. They should add at least one if not two starters at OG from free agency. I would use one of the three first rounders on an OT. Another OT could be added in the second or third round if one is not added in free agency. Adding linemen from free agency would free up picks for other positions such as QB, RB and DE.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to a FA OG the Fins should add a veteran center or draft one in the first two rounds.

RE drafting a QB: The Fins should pick who they want at pick #5 unless they don't have a QB that they want from the draft. The QB position is too important to wait on and pick later. The player that they want could be gone before their next pick.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to a FA OG the Fins should add a veteran center or draft one in the first two rounds.

RE drafting a QB: The Fins should pick who they want at pick #5 unless they don't have a QB that they want from the draft. The QB position is too important to wait on and pick later. The player that they want could be gone before their next pick.
They have Rosen who can still end up being good but I'm not against doubling down on QB. Too important of a position. Either way they need a center, RG and LT. They should be able to find one of those in FA. Draft the money positions like LT, passrusher, CB and of course QB. RBs I'd wait until 2nd round heck D. Williams just won a bowl and he was undrafted. They have a ton of picks if done right should fill a bunch of holes.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have Rosen who can still end up being good but I'm not against doubling down on QB. Too important of a position. Either way they need a center, RG and LT. They should be able to find one of those in FA. Draft the money positions like LT, passrusher, CB and of course QB. RBs I'd wait until 2nd round heck D. Williams just won a bowl and he was undrafted. They have a ton of picks if done right should fill a bunch of holes.

The Fins will need to keep Rosen for sure if they draft Tua just to be on the safe side while Tua recovers.

I wouldn't wait any longer than the 2nd round to draft a RB. It's a big team need. I would probably use pick 26. There can be a big difference between the top tier of RBs. The Fins should land Swift, Taylor or Dobbins. They have enough early picks to get it done.

RE Williams: It was being dismissed at Oklahoma not his talent that caused him to slide. Every draft has underrated players that become stars after being drafted late but the Fins need proven production to bring more certainty for improvement to their roster.

Last edited:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlyerFinFan, another RB who I think could really help the Fins is Edwards-Helaire. He could be picked in the 2nd round if the Fins see greater value with using the first round picks on other positions.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlyerFinFan, another RB who I think could really help the Fins is Edwards-Helaire. He could be picked in the 2nd round if the Fins see greater value with using the first round picks on other positions.
Yes agreed I just think CB would be more important than a RB in round 1. Cbs are harder to find later on whereas RBs can still be decent and don't cost as much. Same with DE or rush LB...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes agreed I just think CB would be more important than a RB in round 1. Cbs are harder to find later on whereas RBs can still be decent and don't cost as much. Same with DE or rush LB...

Just keep in mind offenses need to be balanced or at least adaptable to defenses. The Fins were one of the worst in the league last year at running the ball. The Fins have enough resources to get a game changer at RB. I think that's what they are going to do.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep in mind offenses need to be balanced or at least adaptable to defenses. The Fins were one of the worst in the league last year at running the ball. The Fins have enough resources to get a game changer at RB. I think that's what they are going to do.

OL line is needed to run ball IMO. Get a good/very good line and that will make a average back look above average 9 times out of 10.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL line is needed to run ball IMO. Get a good/very good line and that will make a average back look above average 9 times out of 10.

A good oline certainly helps and when you have a very good oline and a great RB then defenses have a problem. Defenses have to load the box. That wouldn't be a good idea with Parker, Gesicki, Williams (when healthy) and the Fins other receivers getting open and making plays down the field. I think the Fins have the draft capital and cap space to get both an impoved oline and an impact RB.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good oline certainly helps and when you have a very good oline and a great RB then defenses have a problem. Defenses have to load the box. That wouldn't be a good idea with Parker, Gesicki, Williams (when healthy) and the Fins other receivers getting open and making plays down the field. I think the Fins have the draft capital and cap space to get both an impoved oline and an impact RB.
Yeah I hear you they definitely need to improve the running game. I read an article that says they should find one in FA spend money now when they have it. This way they can use the draft for the lines.