• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: With the 5th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather see them get olinemen, CB, or DE in FA. To overpay for a RB that is injury prone or past his prime wouldn't be a good idea. The Fins need to developing players that will be with them and still productive for at least two or three years or more.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather see them get olinemen, CB, or DE in FA. To overpay for a RB that is injury prone or past his prime wouldn't be a good idea. The Fins need to developing players that will be with them and still productive for at least two or three years or more.
I think that you are missing the fact that the money positions such as CB, OT and DE will be more expensive in FA. Better to draft those positions and find your OG, RB etc in FA as they will be cheaper. I'm not oposed to drafting any position especially with all of these picks but some of those a little later mainly due to cap economics. First round should mainly be QB, OT, CB rush OLB and DE. DE may not be that important this year if they find a true 3-4 DT they could move the other guys to DE. Rush OLB becomes more important.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two of my pick suggestions are money positions. QB and OT. I have no problem also adding a rush OLB or DE if the right talent is there in the first round. That said, I think there is a mentality that all RBs are the same. It's not true. Look what Barkley did as a Rookie. Also, we just watched a good oline and a very good RB get one game away from the SB. The Titans with Henry. All RBs aren't equal. It will be a missed opportunity if they don't add a top one from the draft.

The Fins have a lot of salary cap room (the most in the NFL) They will have some good options. One option to consider for the defense is at NT. The Fins could add a guy like Pierce from Baltimore. He would make the run defense instantly better with a 3-4. It would allow Godchaux to play on the outside with Wilkins in early downs.

At CB, if and when Howard comes back the secondary will be much better with more depth. With 90 million in cap space the Fins can add a CB if they want. They also have two 2nd round picks as an option to add talent to that position.

I thought Flores brought the best out of the young talent that he was working with. The most encouraging thing from last year was the realization that the Fins have a very good Head Coach. The win in Gillette was also great to see.

Last edited:

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions look poised to rescue the Dolphins from making the mistake of selecting Tua.

They will either trade Stafford -- if they can find a trade partner or take Tua and have him just in case Stafford can't go. They could certainly use him. The Colts might look to move up as well and take him.

Hopefully they rescue the Dolphins.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions look poised to rescue the Dolphins from making the mistake of selecting Tua.

They will either trade Stafford -- if they can find a trade partner or take Tua and have him just in case Stafford can't go. They could certainly use him. The Colts might look to move up as well and take him.

Stafford played well last year. He got injured. Anyone that has watched that team knows that Stafford wasn't the problem. I think it starts with their Head Coach. They need to figure that out. If they think signing Tua, who is currently injured with a serious injury and has an extensive injury history already as a college player is the answer to their problems rather than playing Stafford then more power to them.

I am starting to wonder if the Fins would be better off building their roster this year by using some of their high draft picks to get two OTs. There is depth and talent at that position in this draft. The Fins also need a Center that they can count on. I think they have two OG's with talent but they need a versatile veteran to provide depth at both OG and Center. The Fins could use this draft and FA to build one of the best Olines in the NFL. That would bode well for the future for whoever is under center. Fitzpatrick, Rosen or a different player. If they add one of the top RB's from this draft with an improved Oline the Fins would have a balanced offense.

The draft is an uncertain thing, however, there are a few things that we know: Burrow is the safest pick and it is nearly certain that he goes #1. Young will be a star in the league at a money position as a DE. He will be picked before the Fins pick at #5. That leaves two spots before the Fins pick. If Tua and Herbert are both gone before #5 and the Fins didn't get a reasonable offer to trade up then they could pick the best available OT. It would be great to get a franchise QB at 5 but if it doesn't make sense or isn't possible I can be patient as a fan.

The Fins chose to play to win last year. I respect that about the coaches and players. They gave their best effort and will be even better with more talent added to the roster.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't go QB at 5, I definitely don't want an OL at 5. That selection is reserved for more a special prospect that's hard to come by, like an Okudah, or Simmons. The shutdown CB, or unicorn defender. Or an EDGE if one was worth the selection.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't go QB at 5, I definitely don't want an OL at 5. That selection is reserved for more a special prospect that's hard to come by, like an Okudah, or Simmons. The shutdown CB, or unicorn defender. Or an EDGE if one was worth the selection.

If the Fins think that they have a star OT that could be a smart move at #5. OT is one of the most important positions on the team.

This draft has depth at OT though so a trade down to a few spots could still yield a solid OT. Alot depends on who they value and how much they value certain positions. With a pick that high it has to be a special talent with proven production against good competition.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Fins think that they have a star OT that could be a smart move at #5. OT is one of the most important positions on the team.

I think the difference between an OT at #5 vs an OT at #18 won't be worth it. I think the OL gets you limited returns vs resources spent. My philosophy is, very simplified, that you just have to put a hat on a hat for a few seconds. If you completely dominate the defender vs just getting him briefly out of the way, I don't think it's worth spending major resources on the former if you can consistently do the latter. However, you can never rush the passer well enough, have tight enough coverage, or be a good enough QB, or playmaker. So those get the big investments.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions emerging as a potential savior of the Dolphins to keep them from making the mistake of selecting Tua. Chargers and Colts emerging as potential candidates to trade up as well to get him.

Hopefully, these teams strike a deal to move up.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't buy the Lions giving up on Stafford yet.

Everybody seems to be picking the Dolphins to take Tua. Is this something you can get behind (against your wishes)
and see what happens?

You could be catching lightning from the bottle like the Ravens did with Lamar. Would you give him any chance?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy the Lions giving up on Stafford yet.

Everybody seems to be picking the Dolphins to take Tua. Is this something you can get behind (against your wishes)
and see what happens?

You could be catching lightning from the bottle like the Ravens did with Lamar. Would you give him any chance?
I am 100% behind selecting Tua and have been since last off-season. IMO he is the best QB prospect in a few years. He is healing well from his hip injury. His leadership, accuracy, ability to manipulate the pocket and make throwing lanes really sets him apart.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 100% behind selecting Tua and have been since last off-season. IMO he is the best QB prospect in a few years. He is healing well from his hip injury. His leadership, accuracy, ability to manipulate the pocket and make throwing lanes really sets him apart.

co-signed

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok if he falls to 5 but don't want them sinking in a bunch of picks to move up unless they love him 200%. If he's gone they could go CB or LB or trade back. I do want an OT at 18 or sooner if they have to.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, during the draft it's good to be flexible so that you can catch a "falling star" a sliding talent with a draft pick. That said, I am looking at this draft and offseason with an order in mind. The Fins have the draft capital and salary cap space to make it happen. If the team is certain that Rosen isn't the franchise QB for the future here is my order:

Franchise QB. The right player leading your offense can make the difference between good and great as an offense.

OT Having a franchise QB and not protecting him wouldn't make sense. (the team will probably want to add two OT's this offseason)

Center (see comments above RE OT, plus a good one helps the running game also)

RB When your 37 year old QB leads the team in rushing you have a big problem.

Edge Rusher It could be an OLB or DE. If Flores was able to beat teams without much of an edge rush imagine what he will do with more pressure from the outside.

Nose Tackle The team wants to play 3-4 at times if not as the base defense therefore they need a Vince Wilfork type of player. It helps all of the guys on defense play better with his run stuffing and disruption up front.

Cornerback and or Safety When Howard comes back the secondary could be special if they add another shutdown CB or a hard hitting/ball hawking safety.

Last edited:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the QBs throw at the combine. Herbert threw as well as anyone in the group. Everyone knows he has arm strength but what stood out to me is the touch he put on the ball. He throws a catchable ball. Eason and Hurts did well also but I think Herbert looks the part of a top 5 pick. He also ran well. He didn't run a lot in college but when he did he made defenses pay. I heard he did well with his interviews also. He didn't turn the ball over much in college. I think Herbert is a better decision maker than he gets credit for.

With a good backup QB the team may still pick Tua but I wouldn't overpay for him with a guy like Herbert in the draft.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ron Rivera is not convinced with Haskins and wants him to have some competition to push him - They are in on Tua which would be more great news for the Dolphins - adds to the list of teams that look willing to save the Dolphins from selecting overrated damaged goods.

And, as many of you may have already heard -- Tua left his meeting with the Dolphins at the combine not convinced he was really wanted by them. Rumor has it he simply didn't perform well enough in his meeting.

Thats what he gets for being a chump and choosing not to throw and participate in other important aspects of the combine because he knows he is just not ready and doesnt have it to be a top pick.

In better news, the Dolphins are spending more time looking into Herbert and Love. It is good to see them coming to their senses and studying the right QBs after wasting so much time on Tua.

Fromm was also a surprise of sorts at the combine.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins are not being predictable. They didn't guarantee Tua that they want him. They are still deciding. Tua has a lot of potential but he isn't the only QB in this draft who could become a franchise player.

OC Chan Gailey may choose any of a few mobile QBs that are available to run his offense. Love and Herbert move well. Hurts is the fastest QB in the draft.

The Fins are planning to play Fitzpatrick this year. They can choose to take their time to develop a rookie QB or give Tua the time he needs to recover.

On a different note: This is a great year to need an OT or two. Also the top RBs look impressive, especially Taylor and Swift. I think that Dobbins will be a solid pro. He needed to recover from his ankle injury but he'll be back strong.

Edwards Helaire will likely slide in this draft because of his 40 time but he will be an impactful player.

At CB there is some good talent. Dantzler of Miss. State could be a solid choice. He played well against Bamas WRs and that is saying a lot.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB continued: If the Fins want an earlier more talented CB Fulton of LSU would be a good pick. Fulton is faster than Dantzler.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua, Love, Herbert...in that order.