• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winning Time - HBO show

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry West is one of my all time favorite players now because of this show lol

The funny thing is despite his portrayal being over the top in episode 1 he's not put in a negative light by any means. If anything it highlighted how much he hated coaching and what it did to his marriage. .. which is true.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was sort of the point of the scene, this show is pretty rough on most of the characters.

Oh I know, but it doesn't seem like a scene that is necessarily historically accurate (only two people would know of it if it occurred). He's already that guy, to make an emotional scene slide into a reprehensible scene seems unnecessary.

Jeff Pearlman is kind of a troll of a writer. Look at all his books, they all focus heavily on the negative and often doesn't interview the actual people involved. He's written about Bonds, Favre, Payton, the 86 Mets, Clemens, etc as well as the Lakers. Even the titles of these books are often negative lol.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know, but it doesn't seem like a scene that is necessarily historically accurate (only two people would know of it if it occurred). He's already that guy, to make an emotional scene slide into a reprehensible scene seems unnecessary.

Jeff Pearlman is kind of a troll of a writer. Look at all his books, they all focus heavily on the negative and often doesn't interview the actual people involved. He's written about Bonds, Favre, Payton, the 86 Mets, Clemens, etc as well as the Lakers. Even the titles of these books are often negative lol.
Yep, if we know that's the source material we know we're getting a show like this. And we know why so many of the people in it are not happy.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't care for the exaggerated "westhead struggles" storyline. They definitely didn't lose to the Pistons that year.

Yea...dramatized is one thing...total fiction is another. Not my favorite stretch for this.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao.

This is totally something the show's version of Jerry West would do. Throwing his trophies across the room, "I'M TAKING THOSE FUCKERS TO THE SUPREME COURT! FUCK!"

Definitely doesn't help your case there, Jerry

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao.

This is totally something the show's version of Jerry West would do. Throwing his trophies across the room, "I'M TAKING THOSE FUCKERS TO THE SUPREME COURT! FUCK!"

I mean... what's his case? The show says he had a temper? Like I said it's almost certainly exaggerated but others acknowledged he couldn't handle losing as a coach.

It's not defamation at all.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao.

Somebody needs to sit him down and explain to him the difference between a documentary and a dramatization. Once they've done that, then they can explain ''dramatic license'' to him. Hopefully this will happen before these lawyers take any more of his money for a case he isn't likely to win.

There is even a disclaimer saying that some names have been changed and that it's a dramatization. This show is basically like when Law and Order has a show that's ''ripped from the headlines''.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean... what's his case? The show says he had a temper? Like I said it's almost certainly exaggerated but others acknowledged he couldn't handle losing as a coach.

It's not defamation at all.

From what I've read, much of it seems to be based on the throwing his finals MVP trophy through his office window scene. Apparently, his office in the Forum didn't have windows and that trophy was the last piece of memorabilia that he would have displayed because it still represented a finals loss.

From what I read, the only reason he had any memorabilia in his office was because "when you work for a basketball team, people expect to see memorabilia in your office". Evidently, if you went to his house, you wouldn't know he played basketball.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, much of it seems to be based on the throwing his finals MVP trophy through his office window scene. Apparently, his office in the Forum didn't have windows and that trophy was the last piece of memorabilia that he would have displayed because it still represented a finals loss.

From what I read, the only reason he had any memorabilia in his office was because "when you work for a basketball team, people expect to see memorabilia in your office". Evidently, if you went to his house, you wouldn't know he played basketball.

Don't disagree with that. But it doesn't remotely approach defamation. Truth be told he is probably the most likeable character on the show

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree with that. But it doesn't remotely approach defamation. Truth be told he is probably the most likeable character on the show

Oh, I agree. From what I've read, the fact that it's presented as a "dramatization" pretty much makes a lawsuit unwinnable.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This show has done a good ob finding actors that look like their characters.

Dr. J though...woof. Big miss there.

I think, much like the guy playing Richard Pryor, they focused more on his voice than his looks. The actor is way way way too old to play Dr. J. Doc was 30 in 1980. The actor playing him in the show is 52.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree. From what I've read, the fact that it's presented as a "dramatization" pretty much makes a lawsuit unwinnable.

It's possible to win it but it's going to be pretty hard. The show literally has them losing games that they actually won.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently there is going to be an actual documentary coming out later this year that covers the last 40 years of the Lakers and that one has the full blessing of the Lakers from Jeanie on down.

According to what was said, it will include some never before seen footage of interviews with Dr. Buss.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently there is going to be an actual documentary coming out later this year that covers the last 40 years of the Lakers and that one has the full blessing of the Lakers from Jeanie on down.

According to what was said, it will include some never before seen footage of interviews with Dr. Buss.
Guess they TRULY hate how this series portrays them. STILL a fun series, though...:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess they TRULY hate how this series portrays them. STILL a fun series, though...:lol:

I don't think it's a response to this show. I remember reading that this show and the documentary were essentially being done at the same time. They commented at the time that the Lakers endorsed the documentary, not the show.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

...and that documentary will be white-washed and sanitized.

I'm guessing those interviews won't have Jerry's face down the blouse of his mother's nurse, lol.