• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Willing to trade for Ohtani?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels should’ve traded him.

Now, they are going to lose him for almost nothing ( 2nd round comp pick )- for a generational player.

They should’ve traded him in 2022 at the trade deadline. They would’ve got a Soto sized deal.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels should’ve traded him.

Now, they are going to lose him for almost nothing ( 2nd round comp pick )- for a generational player.

They should’ve traded him in 2022 at the trade deadline. They would’ve got a Soto sized deal.
I still don't understand what has happened with the Angels. Arguably the two best players in MLB on the same roster for the past 5 years and .500 has been optimistic most years. Is there something going on with strength and conditioning that needs to be looked at? The amount of injuries is concerning.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand what has happened with the Angels. Arguably the two best players in MLB on the same roster for the past 5 years and .500 has been optimistic most years. Is there something going on with strength and conditioning that needs to be looked at? The amount of injuries is concerning.
Most of those 5 years, Ohtani and Trout barely played at the same time because with one was hurt most of the time.

Their farm system is garbage because they don’t scout/draft well and their pitching has been terrible for more than the 5 years they been together.

Baseball is truly a team sport. Doesn’t matter if a team has the 2 best players in the game when the rest of the roster is devoid of talent.

Rendon has been injured the minute he sighed with the Angels as well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of those 5 years, Ohtani and Trout barely played at the same time because with one was hurt most of the time.

Their farm system is garbage because they don’t scout/draft well and their pitching has been terrible for more than the 5 years they been together.

Baseball is truly a team sport. Doesn’t matter if a team has the 2 best players in the game when the rest of the roster is devoid of talent.

Rendon has been injured the minute he sighed with the Angels as well.
That is the part that baffles me, the injuries. So many guys with some decent level of talent have been acquired, only to see their careers pretty much come to an end. Sure, some seemed over the hill or had huge warning signs but guys like Rendon seemed to go from healthy, All-Star level players to barely replacement level, when healthy, which isn't much.

I thought Trout's injury woes were mainly in 2021 and 2023. Yeah, he missed a few games in other years but not enough to create a serious void in the roster. And Ohtani only missed that one year on the pitching side (2019) and his only bad year was 2020. The Angels, unfortunately, have been the poster child for why sign a bunch of big names don't necessarily equate to winning (and it seems the Padres didn't learn from their lessons).

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the part that baffles me, the injuries. So many guys with some decent level of talent have been acquired, only to see their careers pretty much come to an end. Sure, some seemed over the hill or had huge warning signs but guys like Rendon seemed to go from healthy, All-Star level players to barely replacement level, when healthy, which isn't much.

I thought Trout's injury woes were mainly in 2021 and 2023. Yeah, he missed a few games in other years but not enough to create a serious void in the roster. And Ohtani only missed that one year on the pitching side (2019) and his only bad year was 2020. The Angels, unfortunately, have been the poster child for why sign a bunch of big names don't necessarily equate to winning (and it seems the Padres didn't learn from their lessons).
The Angels never had Trout and Ohtani both play in more than 120 games in any season.

And they only played in 52% of games together.

Call it what you want, bad luck, bad management, whatever, but you aren’t going to have success with numbers like that.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely not. The Giants need 3 or 4 GOOD players, not ONE great player. A Ohtani contract would cripple the team roster for years.

And years 7 to 10 of that contract will probably be ugly. At least this is what I tell myself to make me feel better about the Dodgers getting him. LOL.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely not. The Giants need 3 or 4 GOOD players, not ONE great player. A Ohtani contract would cripple the team roster for years.
IMHO you really have to a special profile as a team to pick up a FA like Ohtani. We just don't fit that profile. Ohtani is not a lifeline acquisition. He is a centerpiece acquisition for a team that is ALREADY established and successful. It has to be a team that is winning, has little or no real open positions that are critical to fill at the moment and lastly, has the funding for the next 10 years. The doggies fit that profile very well. Not many teams really do.

As Marco stated ... we are down 3 or 4 good players. This is where I would hope our management team is looking to fill ..... but I'm just not sure. For the past few years they seem to have always been fixated on the one superstar FA and have always failed in that pursuit. I also feel that to 'chase' a top of the line FA you must be a team that is solid, competitive. winning and has what the FA is actually looking for .... we seem to fail in almost all of those categories ...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The press are stating "contract includes significant deferrals" - so it most likely WON'T be $70M/yr. Maybe $35M/yr for 20 years? Still a lot of change, but ...

Let's just hope that rumors of him needing a 2nd Tommy John surgery are correct.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by "part time player" ?? He played in 135 games last year and led the AL in HRs, OBP, TB, and (duh) OPS.

His started 23 games in '23 (*WhIP of 1.086), and started 28 games in '22 (*WhIP of 1.01).

Or am I just being a HF?

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he used to a one of a kind full time player. Pitched, fielded the outfield and batted. Now he will just bat in 2024 and who knows beyond that.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, rumor has it that he's going in for (his second) elbow surgery. That will affect 2024, but who knows after. Chances are that a 2nd surgery will have an effect on his pitching.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion .... but I feel that this signing by the doggies is much more than it appears to be. 700M is one hell of a contract for one player. Doesn't even seem reasonable. But If you look a little deeper you start to see some other factors in play ... in theory the doggies never really needed Ohtani. During the past 7 years they have won more than 100 games in a season 5 times. Can't get much better than that. They really don't have any broken pieces that needed to fixed or replaced. At 70M aav (not looking at deferrals) I felt that you probably could purchase Ohtani's production (offense and pitching) for less than 70M .... but then ran across someone else's perspective on this deal and it sort of changed my mind.

Maybe this was a contract that was more concerned with the business side of the equation that the actual talent that was being purchased. Ohtani will in fact probably become a marketing gold mine for the club and baseball in general. As a one of a kind generational player his marketing impact really has no bounds. He will definitely become the face of the Dodgers ... and since they have him for 10 years ... can they transform him into the face of baseball itself. In the end his marketing value may far exceed the value of his baseball skills ....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion .... but I feel that this signing by the doggies is much more than it appears to be. 700M is one hell of a contract for one player. Doesn't even seem reasonable. But If you look a little deeper you start to see some other factors in play ... in theory the doggies never really needed Ohtani. During the past 7 years they have won more than 100 games in a season 5 times. Can't get much better than that. They really don't have any broken pieces that needed to fixed or replaced. At 70M aav (not looking at deferrals) I felt that you probably could purchase Ohtani's production (offense and pitching) for less than 70M .... but then ran across someone else's perspective on this deal and it sort of changed my mind.

Maybe this was a contract that was more concerned with the business side of the equation that the actual talent that was being purchased. Ohtani will in fact probably become a marketing gold mine for the club and baseball in general. As a one of a kind generational player his marketing impact really has no bounds. He will definitely become the face of the Dodgers ... and since they have him for 10 years ... can they transform him into the face of baseball itself. In the end his marketing value may far exceed the value of his baseball skills ....
You hit the nail on the head, this a a major coup for the Dodgers in securing the entire Japanese market. If executed correctly they offset his $700M in other revenue. Gotta applause a strategic move by the Dodgers.

TBH I doubt SF has the ability to exploit the Japanese market in the same fashion as LA. Look what they did with Fernando, I expect the same with Ohtani

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hit the nail on the head, this a a major coup for the Dodgers in securing the entire Japanese market. If executed correctly they offset his $700M in other revenue. Gotta applause a strategic move by the Dodgers.

TBH I doubt SF has the ability to exploit the Japanese market in the same fashion as LA. Look what they did with Fernando, I expect the same with Ohtani
Do you think the regional Chinese ties in the BA would make it tough for the Giants to market Japan as effectively as LA?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think the regional Chinese ties in the BA would make it tough for the Giants to market Japan as effectively as LA?
I was talking to a long time Dodger fan over the weekend and his theory is that the Dodgers' cable network could recoup all that money just in a big TV deal with Japanese media. I'm not sure that they could make that much but the fact that the Dodgers are one of the few teams that own their own network (although, officially, its a separate entity, the same people own both the team and the network) means that they have a huge advantage at leveraging Ohtani for more cash.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking to a long time Dodger fan over the weekend and his theory is that the Dodgers' cable network could recoup all that money just in a big TV deal with Japanese media. I'm not sure that they could make that much but the fact that the Dodgers are one of the few teams that own their own network (although, officially, its a separate entity, the same people own both the team and the network) means that they have a huge advantage at leveraging Ohtani for more cash.
That’s sick and should be illegal. Now if the Giants could do that, that would be ok.