• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the Islanders Ever be Good Again?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1940 chant was the best. But we move on....unlike the outdated Potvin chant. You don't see Isles fans in DC chanting "Dale Hunter Sucks" do you? Get over it.

With the Rangers winning in 1994 the "1940" chant doesn't really work. That's not the same as moving on.

Personally, I got sick of the Potvin chants decades ago. When Potvin was doing games for fox in the early 90's and gotted booed unmercifully by Ranger fans in his own arena it was time to stop.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Rangers fans can explain why they can't get over it. It didn't take long for me to get over the Hunter hit. Yeah it ticked me off & he'll always be one of my least favorite players of all time, but when your team beats the team that was supposed to win the Cup in the next round as a fan you really don't have much to complain about.

It's easy to explain.

(1) the year ws 1979 and many fans felt Ulfie was our best offensive player and losing him cost us the chance in the finals.
(2) The Isles won 4 in a row after that
(3) Potvin is an all time great and as a wise man once said "You don't boo scrubs".

I'm kind of surprised it didn't stop after 1994. I got sick of it WAY beore that.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to explain.

(1) the year ws 1979 and many fans felt Ulfie was our best offensive player and losing him cost us the chance in the finals.
(2) The Isles won 4 in a row after that
(3) Potvin is an all time great and as a wise man once said "You don't boo scrubs".

I'm kind of surprised it didn't stop after 1994. I got sick of it WAY beore that.

Thanks, I understand your perspective. I heard an interview with Phil Esposito awhile back in which he felt the reason the Rangers lost to the Canadiens in 1979 was because the team stayed in a hotel in the city instead of the outskirts while in Montreal. To much partying, to much fun. Phil didn't want the team to stay in Montreal, but it obviously wasn't his decision.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Okposo is out for awhile with a detached retina. A very serious injury. I don't want to see him in the lineup until he's 100% healthy.

I wonder if the Isles have considered calling up Dal Colle on an emergency basis?

They can't call up Dal Colle since he's in Jrs. He's there for the season. Once their season ends they can bring him in but anything over 9 games triggers a EL year

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I understand your perspective. I heard an interview with Phil Esposito awhile back in which he felt the reason the Rangers lost to the Canadiens in 1979 was because the team stayed in a hotel in the city instead of the outskirts while in Montreal. To much partying, to much fun. Phil didn't want the team to stay in Montreal, but it obviously wasn't his decision.

That team was known for partying, I don't doubt that played a part but at the end of he day the Habs were just a better team. Davidson carried them to that point. I always felt Ranger management took the sold out games night after night regardless of performance for granted and never went all out to win until they got Messier. And then they went right back to sucking when they made that god awful Zubov & Nedved trade for Robatille and Samuelson. That set them back a decade. Not to mention they let Amonte, Granato and a bunch of other young players go to pick up the pieces for the cup run.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That team was known for partying, I don't doubt that played a part but at the end of he day the Habs were just a better team. Davidson carried them to that point. I always felt Ranger management took the sold out games night after night regardless of performance for granted and never went all out to win until they got Messier. And then they went right back to sucking when they made that god awful Zubov & Nedved trade for Robatille and Samuelson. That set them back a decade. Not to mention they let Amonte, Granato and a bunch of other young players go to pick up the pieces for the cup run.

That's the thing about that 1994 team. We'll never know if they had to make all those trades in order to win the cup. Nor will we know if they could have won more if they had kept Zubov, Amonte, Granato, Marchant & others. Trade deadline day that season had to really hurt Mike Gartner.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing about that 1994 team. We'll never know if they had to make all those trades in order to win the cup. Nor will we know if they could have won more if they had kept Zubov, Amonte, Granato, Marchant & others. Trade deadline day that season had to really hurt Mike Gartner.

They kept Zubov for another couple of years before pissing him away in one of the worst trades I've ever seen. They also let Beezer go in the expansion draft for nothing when they should have traded him and got something.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit, I'm really enjoying both teams beingood at the same time for the first time in decades. Because they're so close in the standings (Isles in front by 3 points but the Rags have 2 games in hand) I have great interest in the Isles and they're fun to watch. A couple of years ago I could have cared less about a Panthers/sles game but last night I watched every minute. At first I didn't like the new division set up but I'm warming to it now. Every Isles, Pens & Caps games mean something to a Ranger fan unless those teams play each other.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They kept Zubov for another couple of years before pissing him away in one of the worst trades I've ever seen. They also let Beezer go in the expansion draft for nothing when they should have traded him and got something.

Sorry, I forgot the Zubov trade wasn't made the next season. Trading goalies can be tough. Yes they should have gotten something for Beezer, but at the time they had Richter. I imagine most teams didn't have a need for a goalie. Florida lucked out. I know Matteau scored the game winner in OT to beat the Devils, but trading Amonte was a mistake. Keenan was so adamant about getting Matteau though. Keenan put Smith in a bad trading position.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I forgot the Zubov trade wasn't made the next season. Trading goalies can be tough. Yes they should have gotten something for Beezer, but at the time they had Richter. I imagine most teams didn't have a need for a goalie. Florida lucked out. I know Matteau scored the game winner in OT to beat the Devils, but trading Amonte was a mistake. Keenan was so adamant about getting Matteau though. Keenan put Smith in a bad trading position.

I think they got someone else in the Amonte trade as well but I can't be sure. Hard to 2nd guess when you get a cup tht year but I agree, dumb move.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't call up Dal Colle since he's in Jrs. He's there for the season. Once their season ends they can bring him in but anything over 9 games triggers a EL year

And his Junior season will be ending May 31 when the mighty Oshawa Generals hoist the Memorial Cup high over the ice in Quebec City.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Okposo is out for awhile with a detached retina. A very serious injury. I don't want to see him in the lineup until he's 100% healthy.

I wonder if the Isles have considered calling up Dal Colle on an emergency basis?

Very serious indeed. I have detached mine 3 times. He wont be back any time soon, and when he does, he is only one hard check away from detachment again. Sorry to hear that for the lad.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very serious indeed. I have detached mine 3 times. He wont be back any time soon, and when he does, he is only one hard check away from detachment again. Sorry to hear that for the lad.
Didn't know that was his injury. Yikes.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And his Junior season will be ending May 31 when the mighty Oshawa Generals hoist the Memorial Cup high over the ice in Quebec City.

I think he makes the Isles team outright next year. He'd look lovely on that first line next to JT.