• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Meriweather make it to Monday without getting suspended again??

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me say I love the fire this guy brings to the SS position for us. But every time he gets on the field I am now forced to wonder if he will make it through a game without a 15 yarder for helmet to helmet and the ensuing monday morning announcement that we will be without his services for the next couple. Hopefully he can be the enforcer without the headhunter this weekend.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He says he learned his lesson and will change. But then again so did Tennard Jackson. If I were to bet I'd say he gets through a few weeks but it's goona happen again.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He says he learned his lesson and will change. But then again so did Tennard Jackson. If I were to bet I'd say he gets through a few weeks but it's goona happen again.

I want him to succeed, but not sure he can change at this late date. We would miss his speed, versatility and his tackling in space. Hope he doesn't take out someone's knees...but I could see it happening.

But I'm also glad we have Nacho developing in the wings...

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I have my doubts he can make it through the rest of the season flag and suspension free. I hope that he does, but I think he has too big a bullseye on his back and refs are looking to flag him even moreso than they do other safeties.

I believe the last hit he was suspended for was a good hit and bang bang enough to where the only thing he could've changed about it was going/diving low.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I have my doubts he can make it through the rest of the season flag and suspension free. I hope that he does, but I think he has too big a bullseye on his back and refs are looking to flag him even moreso than they do other safeties.

I believe the last hit he was suspended for was a good hit and bang bang enough to where the only thing he could've changed about it was going/diving low.

Let's face it, BM is a marked man in the NFL and rightfully so. Unfortunately, targeting lower (as he was instructed to do so) will likely result in another fine and suspension because someone will lose a knee. He is in a catch 22 of sorts and the Skins will likely pay the price once again during the season.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face it, BM is a marked man in the NFL and rightfully so. Unfortunately, targeting lower (as he was instructed to do so) will likely result in another fine and suspension because someone will lose a knee. He is in a catch 22 of sorts and the Skins will likely pay the price once again during the season.

Yep he is a marked man but like you said he made that bed so no sympathy from me. As for where to deliver the hits there is a lot of room between the head and the knee. Everyone else has found it but for some reason it has eluded Mr. Meriweather.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because Merriweather is not interested in proper tackling, he's looking for the kill shot. he launches his body, head first, at the ball carrier. There is no attempt to wrap up or lift and drive down. It is all 200 lbs of missile at the ball carrier. In fact, thats the way many secondary players tackle today and why there are so many missed tackles. The fact is as soon as they leave their feet, if the ball carrier sees them he cuts and a miss happens.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no penalty/fine/suspension for going low/hitting a player in the knees.

Outside the Lines: NFL players grudgingly adjust to new tackling rules to avoid head injuries - ESPN

Its even been reported that offensive players have offered to play fines for defensive players. If DPs hit them in the head and as long as they don't go low and hit them in the knees.

Report: NFL Players Offering to Pay Fines for Defenders Who Hit Them High Rather than Low

NFL players - aim for my head not my knees

NFL Players Plead with Tacklers to Aim for Head, Not Knees, in OTL Report | Bleacher Report

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because Merriweather is not interested in proper tackling, he's looking for the kill shot. he launches his body, head first, at the ball carrier. There is no attempt to wrap up or lift and drive down. It is all 200 lbs of missile at the ball carrier. In fact, thats the way many secondary players tackle today and why there are so many missed tackles. The fact is as soon as they leave their feet, if the ball carrier sees them he cuts and a miss happens.

Very true JY. In addition to this I have serious doubts that he can change the way he plays. Deprogramming the way a guy plays and conditioning a proper technique all of a sudden seems like a reach to me if we expect him to be effective short term. I don't believe he will last the season as the starter.

SkinFaninATL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately, Brandon Meriwether is a marked man. In fact, me and a friend of mine was discussing this, when I told him he was coming back from his suspension. It's sad because Meriwether did not make a dirty hit in that Ravens game. However, he is on the NFL radar, and not for good reason. With that being said, every hard hit is going to be scrutinized. We all know what is likely to happen, if he makes a hard hit. Here comes and flag and another suspension. Well, all he can do is to try to play and be very careful.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a marked man, I am firm believer in total change...to the level of absurdness.

I can't go anywhere near the head and neck because it is an automatic flag, whether I make contact or not...so I go at the knees.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think he will avoid any more suspensions

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short answer. .....No! But now teams have a reason to manipulate the system against him. Anyone who has ever played the game knows that players prefer a tackler to go high rather than at the legs. It is understood in the NFL, so what's going to happen is exactly what's happened before. ....unless he actually goes for the legs and be labeled a dirty player, expect that suspension sooner rather than later.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't make it refs are on him like flys on shit he will not make it past the eagles

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BW finally found a way to avoid suspensions. Don't be within 5 yards of the football, ever.:lame:

So he is effectively useless. Might as well bring back Rambo at this point.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF was up with BW today? The guy looked lost out there today...