• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will AD want to be traded after this?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll never know, of course... but there were a lot of indications out there that New Orleans really liked Tatum... that that was the guy who would have been a game changer.

I think Tatum plus would have done it.

Horford was/is fine. He is the ultimate team, glue, fits-in-well-in-almost-any-scenario guy.

Hayward slowly and steadily improved all last season... in the context of the devastating injury he had and the recovery from that, there is good reason to believe he'll be better in year 2 of that recovery.

I think those 4 are enough for being a serious title contender. The C's defense likely would have been very strong as well, anchored by a tough interior of Horford, Baynes and AD.

Anyways... this is all academic. :noidea:

Imo, Hayward is the "wild card" that could mean the difference between the Celtics being a true contender or a 2nd round exit.

When both Kyrie and Hayward were out, the Celtics did what they did because they played like a team. No one was worried about "touches", they just rolled with the "hot hand". They were a poor man's Warriors in that regard.

Largely because of Kyrie, they played like individuals last season.

If Kyrie leaves, Hayward returns to form and they all play like a team again, I don't see why they couldn't contend.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, Hayward is the "wild card" that could mean the difference between the Celtics being a true contender or a 2nd round exit.

When both Kyrie and Hayward were out, the Celtics did what they did because they played like a team. No one was worried about "touches", they just rolled with the "hot hand". They were a poor man's Warriors in that regard.

Largely because of Kyrie, they played like individuals last season.

If Kyrie leaves, Hayward returns to form and they all play like a team again, I don't see why they couldn't contend.
I generally agree with you... but you're probably at least a notch more optimistic than I am.

I personally wouldn't say that the Celtics are contenders at this point. Even if we're being optimistic on how some guys develop.

I'd might say something like, 'I don't see why the Celtics can't be a good team.'

But "contender"?... nah. You need a Kawhi, or a Steph, or a Giannis, or someone like that to be a serious contender. And the Celtics simply don't have that right now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree with you... but you're probably at least a notch more optimistic than I am.

I personally wouldn't say that the Celtics are contenders at this point. Even if we're being optimistic on how some guys develop.

I'd might say something like, 'I don't see why the Celtics can't be a good team.'

But "contender"?... nah. You need a Kawhi, or a Steph, or a Giannis, or someone like that to be a serious contender. And the Celtics simply don't have that right now.

I must have more faith in Tatum that you because I think he can be that level of player. I think Kyrie being Kyrie hurt him more than anyone.

I also think Hayward is much more likely to buy into a team concept than Kyrie was.

So, if you get the Tatum we saw when Kyrie was out and the Hayward we saw in Utah, the Celtics are in good shape.

While I hate the damn Celtics, I also want them to be good because I think the league is better when the Lakers/Celtics are both good enough for the rivalry to actually mean something.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have more faith in Tatum that you because I think he can be that level of player.
Frankly, I think Tatum's ceiling is a notch below the Kawhi's and Steph's and Giannis' of the world.

Tatum lacks an elite first step. That's never gonna change.
And while he has the frame to add a little more strength, he is not a physical freak.

I love that Tatum is a hard worker and I believe he will improve over where he is now... but he's never gonna be a super-star.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew the 2023 one, not the 2025. Regardless, what are the odds of the Lakers having poorer draft postition with AD in his prime?

For fun, I think those pick swaps should have to be claimed before the season, or at least before the lottery (if both teams miss the playoffs). Would make for some interesting bets.
NO had some seasons with AD where they had high picks.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 yeras ago it looked like the Celtics would dominate hte East for years to come.

Now I dont know if they are a top 5 team in the East
ainge definitely might have screwed the pooch on all those assets he had.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ainge definitely might have screwed the pooch on all those assets he had.

Of all the guys he had a chance to deal for, it looks like he may have picked the wrong one.

I have to wonder, how much does the city of Boston's racial history with regards to NBA players play into their appeal to current stars?

Boston is a big market with an amazing tradition of winning. I can't think of another reason why they wouldn't be higher on player wish lists.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder, how much does the city of Boston's racial history with regards to NBA players play into their appeal to current stars?

Boston is a big market with an amazing tradition of winning. I can't think of another reason why they wouldn't be higher on player wish lists.
How about the cold?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the cold?

Yeah, that is one.

Same applies to Brooklyn and NY though.

Granted, they haven't landed anybody either. But they appear to be more attractive at the moment despite achieving exactly nothing.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are likely multiple factors that held Ainge back... but I think the absolute sourness of AD and his camp towards the prospect of playing in Boston is what ultimately kept Boston from going all-in. Especially in the wake of Kyrie and the non-basketball negatives that a guy like that brings into the equation. It was creating a toxic environment.

That being said... I disagree with the idea that AD, Horford, Brown and Hayward is not a contending core (objectively speaking). But a sour AD who is not all-in... ?... that uncertainty probably killed things.
title contending? I don't see it. Looks like a 3 seed at best. You think that's any better than AD, Randle, Mirotic and Jrue?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that is one.

Same applies to Brooklyn and NY though.

Granted, they haven't landed anybody either. But they appear to be more attractive at the moment despite achieving exactly nothing.
Hard to say how attractive they are based solely on rumors of guys signing there.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say how attractive they are based solely on rumors of guys signing there.

Sure.

And Boston doesn't have cap space.

The narrative this summer has been about big names wanting NY, and actively saying no to Boston (AD and Kyrie).

When the reality is, that I think AD and Kyrie might have had a better chance of winning a ring together in Boston than maybe anywhere else.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 yeras ago it looked like the Celtics would dominate hte East for years to come.

Now I dont know if they are a top 5 team in the East

Depends on free agency. Sixers could lose 2 key players, Toronto could lose Kawhi, Bucks could lose Middleton, etc. It will be a crazy start to July, lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on free agency. Sixers could lose 2 key players, Toronto could lose Kawhi, Bucks could lose Middleton, etc. It will be a crazy start to July, lol.
one of the only things we do now for certain is that the Washington Wizards are fucked for the foreseeable future. hahahahahahahahahaha

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same could be said about the Cavs there, one-nut

Of course the Cavs are fucked for NOW...but bc they are willing to take bad contracts to acquire picks. They are building for the future though and most or all of those bad contracts go off the books in the next year...the Wiz as long as they have that Wall contract (probably forever) are just screwed. Beal and Wall take up 60% of their cap and they aren't winning any titles, let alone a division title with that combo.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of the only things we do now for certain is that the Washington Wizards are fucked for the foreseeable future. hahahahahahahahahaha

The funny thing is that you actually think that is offensive to me.

The Wizards have been screwed since before I was old enough to go to school.