• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why There Is Little, If Any, Downside In Signing La'El Collins And How We Can Get Him To Sign

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's unclear when, if at all, La'El Collins will be cleared in the tragic double-murder of his ex-girlfriend and the infant she bore just after she died. Rather than waiting for the criminal investigation to come full circle, why not get ahead of this situation by inducing him to sign a fully guaranteed, tricked up UDFA contract?

UDFAs are limited to three-year deals with minimum paragraph 5 salary amounts for each of those years. Those add put to about $1.575M. While all of it's not guaranteed, we can always change that to guarantee Collins those amounts over the life of the deal. In addition, unlike drafted rookies, UDFAs can seek an extension after their second year. While I haven't checked on the validity of this, I don't see an issue where we can't also guarantee him the right to demand an extension and to outline the parameters of such a deal. This would include something where, if he meets starting time and playing milestones and/or Pro-Bowl awards, he could earn an extension commensurate to others at his then current production level. As an example, if he does go to a Pro-Bowl, he would be awarded a contract like the one Andrus Peat got with the Giants. That's because the spot where Peat was selected roughy approximates where Collins was expected to go. The contract Collins would get would simply track years three and four in Peat's contract. This is but one example of how we could draft up a UDFA contract that meets the team and his needs.

What's the downside? Losing less than $1.6M. And even that can come with conditions where, if that investigation goes south on Collins, the guarantees go away. The rewards are obvious. For a team still looking to upgrade its o-line, we get a first round o-lineman for a song for at least the first two years he's here. And with an extension we'd be able to negotiate, we could keep him around for a long time.

Many wonder why Collins went undated and still hasn't been signed. That's truly a mystery, but I can't help but speculate that there's some tacit -- if not express -- understanding between each of the teams and the NFL to forego any interaction with him until his criminal matter is resolved. By doing so, it spares the NFL yet another PR embarrassment in dealing with a player serious off-field issues. But that's just a guess. If there's no such understanding, we should get on this now. What's the big deal of losing $1.57M (which could be less if we restrict the guarantees pending resolution of his current case)? We've certainly blown much more on bigger stiffs before.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the gold egg that ever team will chase, if he is cleared and I think he will be. As far as money goes, I don't any team has a advantage so it comes down to where he feels the best situation is. Got a thread on the general board going, check it out and post.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I understand why we needed a new thread for this info.

Why not continue on in the thread about La'el you posted yesterday?

And am I wrong that a lot of your contractual points were already covered in that thread, albeit much more briefly?

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Harold: Yes, there are some monetary limitations, but there are other nuances such as guarantees and the extension point I made that can make this whole process pretty creative. The latter really opens up things since Collins, in addition to machine the $1.57M in guaranteed money, can then pick up where people like Peat are in their points in their career. A run-of-the-mill UDFA deal doesn't do that.

@Cali: I did make those points, albeit briefly. I expanded the point quite a bit and thought it would make for a better discussion in a separate thread. My apologies if this ran afoul of any rules.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Harold: Yes, there are some monetary limitations, but there are other nuances such as guarantees and the extension point I made that can make this whole process pretty creative. The latter really opens up things since Collins, in addition to machine the $1.57M in guaranteed money, can then pick up where people like Peat are in their points in their career. A run-of-the-mill UDFA deal doesn't do that.

@Cali: I did make those points, albeit briefly. I expanded the point quite a bit and thought it would make for a better discussion in a separate thread. My apologies if this ran afoul of any rules.
No rules were run afoul...just was curious

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd love to have you join the discussion on the general board, this topic is of interest to many teams and their fans. Eagles, Cowboys, Seahawks to name a few have threads going about the golden egg on their team boards. Let's join up and give point counter point on the general board.:suds:

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have you join the discussion on the general board, this topic is of interest to many teams and their fans. Eagles, Cowboys, Seahawks to name a few have threads going about the golden egg on their team boards. Let's join up and give point counter point on the general board.:suds:

Can I offer my view that the Redskins draft should get an A+ without much blowback?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's unclear when, if at all, La'El Collins will be cleared in the tragic double-murder of his ex-girlfriend and the infant she bore just after she died. Rather than waiting for the criminal investigation to come full circle, why not get ahead of this situation by inducing him to sign a fully guaranteed, tricked up UDFA contract?

UDFAs are limited to three-year deals with minimum paragraph 5 salary amounts for each of those years. Those add put to about $1.575M. While all of it's not guaranteed, we can always change that to guarantee Collins those amounts over the life of the deal. In addition, unlike drafted rookies, UDFAs can seek an extension after their second year. While I haven't checked on the validity of this, I don't see an issue where we can't also guarantee him the right to demand an extension and to outline the parameters of such a deal. This would include something where, if he meets starting time and playing milestones and/or Pro-Bowl awards, he could earn an extension commensurate to others at his then current production level. As an example, if he does go to a Pro-Bowl, he would be awarded a contract like the one Andrus Peat got with the Giants. That's because the spot where Peat was selected roughy approximates where Collins was expected to go. The contract Collins would get would simply track years three and four in Peat's contract. This is but one example of how we could draft up a UDFA contract that meets the team and his needs.

What's the downside? Losing less than $1.6M. And even that can come with conditions where, if that investigation goes south on Collins, the guarantees go away. The rewards are obvious. For a team still looking to upgrade its o-line, we get a first round o-lineman for a song for at least the first two years he's here. And with an extension we'd be able to negotiate, we could keep him around for a long time.

Many wonder why Collins went undated and still hasn't been signed. That's truly a mystery, but I can't help but speculate that there's some tacit -- if not express -- understanding between each of the teams and the NFL to forego any interaction with him until his criminal matter is resolved. By doing so, it spares the NFL yet another PR embarrassment in dealing with a player serious off-field issues. But that's just a guess. If there's no such understanding, we should get on this now. What's the big deal of losing $1.57M (which could be less if we restrict the guarantees pending resolution of his current case)? We've certainly blown much more on bigger stiffs before.

Excerpt

Now there is nothing in the process that prevents a team from guaranteeing large amounts of salary to UDFA. This is how many teams lure a UDFA while complying with the signing bonus rules. It is not uncommon to see a UDFA receive a salary guarantee equal to a Practice Squad salary (slightly over $100,000) and in some cases double that. For Collins that presents an opportunity to attempt to receive a three year guarantee of $1,575,000. That guarantee would be equivalent to a late 2nd rounders guarantee through his signing bonus and salary guarantee.

I doubt a team would be willing to make that investment now, but if Collins waits until the summer to sign they might if his name is cleared. In theory that could also give him time to see how teams depth charts are beginning to shape up and where he will get the most opportunity to play. This is also important because if e starts he would likely be a leader in Performance Based Pay which is based on playing time relative to your cap charge. Last year the league leader received nearly $375,000 in PBP. He would certainly earn more than highly drafted players further shrinking the gap.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I offer my view that the Redskins draft should get an A+ without much blowback?
Be prepared for @HaroldSeattle to hate on the skins for being the sole reason for Griffs ruination, a stance I do not agree with btw. When I have a bit of time, I'm gonna beat you up via PM sirrah!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you can, but I suggest you give reasons for that grade. Anybody tries to derail the thread, I'll just delete his post.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be prepared for @HaroldSeattle to hate on the skins for being the sole reason for Griffs ruination, a stance I do not agree with btw. When I have a bit of time, I'm gonna beat you up via PM sirrah!
Not the Redskins, but the coach the Redskins fired for screwing him up.:suds:

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you can, but I suggest you give reasons for that grade. Anybody tries to derail the thread, I'll just delete his post.

Hah! I would do no such thing. I only really made that statement in response to a post offering the view that the Redskins get an "F-" for taking Scherff, a guard at number five overall, over Leonard Williams.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the Redskins, but the coach the Redskins fired for screwing him up.:suds:
Heh, messing with ya.
I know you just hate the fact that you have RW and not Griffin...:)

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hah! I would do no such thing. I only really made that statement in response to a post offering the view that the Redskins get an "F-" for taking Scherff, a guard at number five overall, over Leonard Williams.
Easily defended and it was. Topic was keep on track

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Excerpt

Now there is nothing in the process that prevents a team from guaranteeing large amounts of salary to UDFA. This is how many teams lure a UDFA while complying with the signing bonus rules. It is not uncommon to see a UDFA receive a salary guarantee equal to a Practice Squad salary (slightly over $100,000) and in some cases double that. For Collins that presents an opportunity to attempt to receive a three year guarantee of $1,575,000. That guarantee would be equivalent to a late 2nd rounders guarantee through his signing bonus and salary guarantee.

I doubt a team would be willing to make that investment now, but if Collins waits until the summer to sign they might if his name is cleared. In theory that could also give him time to see how teams depth charts are beginning to shape up and where he will get the most opportunity to play. This is also important because if e starts he would likely be a leader in Performance Based Pay which is based on playing time relative to your cap charge. Last year the league leader received nearly $375,000 in PBP. He would certainly earn more than highly drafted players further shrinking the gap.

There are some in and outs within the literal text of the rules governing UDFAs. What a team needs to do is get creative, especially if he is cleared. That's because the timing of the criminal investigation has literally cost him millions of dollars -- at least for now. A team willing to acknowledge that and offer a creative solution to remedy that as best as possible will definitely be a front runner for his services.

Waiting to sign presents problems for both the team that ultimately signs him and Collins himself. As for Collins, he's not participating in any offseason activities, which is acutely damaging for a rookie that needs to acclimate himself not only for the NFL but his team. In turn, an ill-prepared Collins will offer little, if any, help to a team that needs his services immediately.

Which all leads up to the point about getting him to sign now. By doing that, he starts getting paid (which is more than what he's getting now which is zip), gets the training he needs, and is prepared once the season starts.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OTE="redskinsfan, post: 6569823, member: 9434"]Can I offer my view that the Redskins draft should get an A+ without much blowback?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, in fact there is a thread for that, complete with a few questions to help you along the way!
(Thread is Grading this draft......what's good and what's not so good) Looking forward to reading your input.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OTE="redskinsfan, post: 6569823, member: 9434"]Can I offer my view that the Redskins draft should get an A+ without much blowback?

Absolutely, in fact there is a thread for that, complete with a few questions to help you along the way!
(Thread is Grading this draft......what's good and what's not so good) Looking forward to reading your input.[/QUOTE]

I'll check it out. I liked our draft. I'd grade it around an A-. Could we have done better? Maybe. But we did pretty well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, messing with ya.
I know you just hate the fact that you have RW and not Griffin...:)
To be honest RG3 was my first choice and RW was my fall choice once everyone else jumped on the RG wagon. Worked out well for the Seahawks. I do believe landing on the right team with the right system and the right coaches makes or breaks rookie QBs.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest RG3 was my first choice and RW was my fall choice once everyone else jumped on the RG wagon. Worked out well for the Seahawks. I do believe landing on the right team with the right system and the right coaches makes or breaks rookie QBs.

Can't disagree with anything you've said here. But I'll chat with you about my thoughts on Griff elsewhere my friend:suds: