• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why There Is Little, If Any, Downside In Signing La'El Collins And How We Can Get Him To Sign

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are the keys to signing collins IMO

1) can he go to a winning team ? that would be the top consideration
2) can he play quickly ? that would be 1a
3) does he think the organization will stand by him ?
4) money and how quickly he can get a new contract

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are the keys to signing collins IMO

1) can he go to a winning team ? that would be the top consideration
2) can he play quickly ? that would be 1a
3) does he think the organization will stand by him ?
4) money and how quickly he can get a new contract

Collins' top priority is money, in particular, how to recoup the millions he lost as a result of the unfortunate confluence of the criminal investigation and the draft this past week. In order to do that, he'll need an opportunity to start immediately, and that usually -- but not always -- would be for a team that wouldn't be too good (e.g., like us). What's amply clear is that Collins is completely out of options right now. He can't enter the draft next year, and if he wants to play this year, he'll do so as a UDFA.

What all this means is that the team that will sign him will give him the chance to maximize his financial options as quickly as possible in light of the factors discussed above. Teams like the Bucs fit that bill to a point; they can really be an optimal candidate if they're willing to guarantee all of his UDFA salary and then provide him the opportunity to bargain for an extension at the earliest possible time.

Then, there might be intrinsic factors that would be important to Collins. For instance, because he's from Baton Rouge, the Saints might have a built-in advantage as the "home team" for him. They would also prove to be a good suitor because they too will be looking for o-line help. Collins coming in dirt cheap for the next two years may very well work in both the Saints' and Collins' favor.

But right now, Collins is looking to get paid, as well as he should be. The team that's going to show him the money or the best way to work around the letter of the UDFA rules will have the upper hand here. And, as far as Collins is concerned, he doesn't care if that means he'll be playing for a bottom-basement team.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His other option, which every one seems to miss, would be to sign a one year deal as a UDFA. This does come with risk.

If he goes some place and starts and rocks it, he would be an exclusive rights FA, subject to the terms of such. But he could ten negotiate a real contract as the team would be foolish to tender him the minimum as he would simply refuse to sign at that point and wait until he could hit the open bidding. Odds are if is is as good as people expect, quite a few teams would stay fluid with cap dollars in order to try and get him.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins' top priority is money, in particular, how to recoup the millions he lost as a result of the unfortunate confluence of the criminal investigation and the draft this past week. In order to do that, he'll need an opportunity to start immediately, and that usually -- but not always -- would be for a team that wouldn't be too good (e.g., like us). What's amply clear is that Collins is completely out of options right now. He can't enter the draft next year, and if he wants to play this year, he'll do so as a UDFA.

What all this means is that the team that will sign him will give him the chance to maximize his financial options as quickly as possible in light of the factors discussed above. Teams like the Bucs fit that bill to a point; they can really be an optimal candidate if they're willing to guarantee all of his UDFA salary and then provide him the opportunity to bargain for an extension at the earliest possible time.

Then, there might be intrinsic factors that would be important to Collins. For instance, because he's from Baton Rouge, the Saints might have a built-in advantage as the "home team" for him. They would also prove to be a good suitor because they too will be looking for o-line help. Collins coming in dirt cheap for the next two years may very well work in both the Saints' and Collins' favor.

But right now, Collins is looking to get paid, as well as he should be. The team that's going to show him the money or the best way to work around the letter of the UDFA rules will have the upper hand here. And, as far as Collins is concerned, he doesn't care if that means he'll be playing for a bottom-basement team.

I agree, money is his primary motivator right now. He lost millions from this fiasco and needs to recoup. That means he needs to go to a team that he will be a starter, for the reasons you point out. If we are correct, then the Redskins should be an attractive target for him. He would have a very good chance of starting here. The unknown is would Scot even want him?

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His other option, which every one seems to miss, would be to sign a one year deal as a UDFA. This does come with risk.

If he goes some place and starts and rocks it, he would be an exclusive rights FA, subject to the terms of such. But he could ten negotiate a real contract as the team would be foolish to tender him the minimum as he would simply refuse to sign at that point and wait until he could hit the open bidding. Odds are if is is as good as people expect, quite a few teams would stay fluid with cap dollars in order to try and get him.

I'm not sure he could sign a one-year UDFA deal as he's locked into signing a three-year contract from the get-go.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, money is his primary motivator right now. He lost millions from this fiasco and needs to recoup. That means he needs to go to a team that he will be a starter, for the reasons you point out. If we are correct, then the Redskins should be an attractive target for him. He would have a very good chance of starting here. The unknown is would Scot even want him?

Good point. Irrespective of what happens with the murder rap, he does have DV issues that are supposedly well-documented (with the murder victim). Scotty did say he didn't want to "embarrass" the Redskins. Whether signing someone like Collins would be a note exception to that rule is yet to be seen.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has to sign a 3 year contract and no one can offer him more money then the other so throw money out the window

it will come down to what type of team he is going to , a good organization , and a chance to start he cant recoup his money any faster no matter what team he signs with because everyone has the same rights under the CBA

so i doubt the skins have a shot at him

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he could sign a one-year UDFA deal as he's locked into signing a three-year contract from the get-go.

If thats the case, he just has to take his lumps and sign the best three year deal he is offered and try to make up for it on the back end.

There is alot to the background of this thing that will likely come out over the next few months. Not trying to blame the victim here, but you got to wonder what a 30 year old woman was doing with a 20 year old to begin with. I get the feeling this is going to get ugly no matter what.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If thats the case, he just has to take his lumps and sign the best three year deal he is offered and try to make up for it on the back end.

There is alot to the background of this thing that will likely come out over the next few months. Not trying to blame the victim here, but you got to wonder what a 30 year old woman was doing with a 20 year old to begin with. I get the feeling this is going to get ugly no matter what.

When that 20-year old looked like he'd be a millionaire in a few months, being his baby momma would entitle you to a cut of his signing bonus.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When that 20-year old looked like he'd be a millionaire in a few months, being his baby momma would entitle you to a cut of his signing bonus.

Which is exactly why the police want to talk to him. Unless they actually catch the shooter, and he names Collins as the master mind, this will likely drag on for a long time. Even if he isnt the father of the child, the idea that she was going to hold him for DNA ransom makes him a suspect even if the cops are saying he isnt at the moment.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is exactly why the police want to talk to him. Unless they actually catch the shooter, and he names Collins as the master mind, this will likely drag on for a long time. Even if he isnt the father of the child, the idea that she was going to hold him for DNA ransom makes him a suspect even if the cops are saying he isnt at the moment.

If he was the father of the child or there was evidence of gold digging, that definitely gives him motive in the murder. But he supposedly has an alibi. If so, that will clear him from an primary involvement. But that always leaves the possibility that he could be secondarily liable (e.g., hired a hitman). The issue there is that proving that may take time. Without any proof of that, the police may clear him (for now), and he may be signed by a team right afterwards.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was the father of the child or there was evidence of gold digging, that definitely gives him motive in the murder. But he supposedly has an alibi. If so, that will clear him from an primary involvement. But that always leaves the possibility that he could be secondarily liable (e.g., hired a hitman). The issue there is that proving that may take time. Without any proof of that, the police may clear him (for now), and he may be signed by a team right afterwards.

This is why I dont think we will see him signing with any one for at least a month. Even if they put a rush on it, they wont have the DNA results for about a week. And unless they find the shooter, Collins will remain a person of interest.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I dont think we will see him signing with any one for at least a month. Even if they put a rush on it, they wont have the DNA results for about a week. And unless they find the shooter, Collins will remain a person of interest.

If his alibi pans out, his risk assessment as to the murder dramatically reduces. Then, it's a question of risk as to any other involvement he has and/or other issues (e.g., DV). I know there'll be teams that would be willing to take that risk.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see very little chance that the skins will go after him until/unless he is completely cleared. And at that point many other teams will be way in front of us.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see very little chance that the skins will go after him until/unless he is completely cleared. And at that point many other teams will be way in front of us.

I agree with you on that. Unfortunately. I still think there's so little downside, we should. But that's just me. Can imagine having Scherff and Collins on the right side? Wow.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on that. Unfortunately. I still think there's so little downside, we should. But that's just me. Can imagine having Scherff and Collins on the right side? Wow.
What if the rumors of domestic violence are true? That is not the profile of any player Scot is looking to add to the team.