• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why not bring back Manny Lawson?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone want Manny back to work into the rotation at OLB?

2 years maybe 6 million?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about defense, what about Takeo Spikes? (I know he's older and a bit of a bad luck charm, but wasn't he good when he was here but bolted cause he wanted the playoffs?) I'm not advocating beringing him back but I've wanted to ask people about him since he left and this seemed like the right thread. I defer because I don't know much about defense.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think spikes would want to fill in the grant role

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never wanted Manny to leave. Bring his ass back here! Especially if Brooks is crazy enough to think he's worth 8 mil.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd have no problem bringing Manny back. He and Parys rotating would be just fine by me, then we can let Parys walk and try to add a better pure pass-rusher.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd have no problem bringing Manny back. He and Parys rotating would be just fine by me, then we can let Parys walk and try to add a better pure pass-rusher.

Well ideally I'd have Manny as the 3rd guy and a superior pass rushers would start opposite Aldon. Parys should walk regardless IMO.

If the Niners got a good pass rusher like Nick Perry, Robert Mathis, even Mario Williams... then Manny could be the guy who comes in play OLB in passing situations where he'll mostly cover (while either Aldon or the other starter blitzes or both). Or in Mario's case Mario could move to LDE and McDonald moves to NT. Then Manny could either blitz or drop back into coverage. Manny is actually a decent pass rusher; not quite as good as Brooks, but he's not inept at it.

I suppose any of the Pass rushers I mentioed could do that, but it would be especially terrible to opposing QBs if it were Mario.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Parys and Manny rotating while releasing Parys? Or did you mean swapping Manny for Parys?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ideally I'd have Manny as the 3rd guy and a superior pass rushers would start opposite Aldon. Parys should walk regardless IMO.

If the Niners got a good pass rusher like Nick Perry, Robert Mathis, even Mario Williams... then Manny could be the guy who comes in play OLB in passing situations where he'll mostly cover (while either Aldon or the other starter blitzes or both). Or in Mario's case Mario could move to LDE and McDonald moves to NT. Then Manny could either blitz or drop back into coverage. Manny is actually a decent pass rusher; not quite as good as Brooks, but he's not inept at it.

I suppose any of the Pass rushers I mentioed could do that, but it would be especially terrible to opposing QBs if it were Mario.

I was wondering how McDonald would do as a NT. That's an interesting possibility considering Soap will be a FA next year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was wondering how McDonald would do as a NT. That's an interesting possibility considering Soap will be a FA next year.

Mickey D could do it IMO, but he'd need another guy with whom to raotate IMO. I think he's best suited as a LDE because he's great at it, but he can (and does I think sometimes) move inside on passing downs.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mickey D could do it IMO, but he'd need another guy with whom to raotate IMO. I think he's best suited as a LDE because he's great at it, but he can (and does I think sometimes) move inside on passing downs.

I remember him being inside on 3rd down situations last year. I believe he did the same thing this year, but i was usually watching Aldon in those situations, so i could be wrong.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I always thought that his greatest strength was his coverage ability and that he lacked the consistent push as a pass rusher. He seemed to fit more into the 4-3 OLB slot then a rushing OLB.
Tough to say if the current front office really wanted him back last year or if he thought he could grab more as a FA on the market.
Tell him to go grab Mario and they could have a NC State reunion at Bill Walsh Field.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Manny back. He's a much better player in the 3-4, and I still think he's one of the better coverage LBs in the game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Come on home Man Law!

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall reading about how much Manny liked playing in San Fran. I hope they seriously consider bringing him back this time.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would even go as far as to give him 3 yr/10 mil...I like the idea better then bringing back Brooks, even if Brooks isn't asking for the 8 mil rumored. I thought that Manny was a better all around OLB in our system then Brooks, without having had the luxury of playing in Fangio's aggressive schemes.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We don't have any LB that can cover TEs. Even Willis got burned by TEs like Graham and Pettigrew. I think he just does not have the height.

Manny is 6'5" and he still would be our best cover LB if he came back.
I remember games a few years back where he was doing a good job blanketing TEs like Gonzalez. If he had better hands he would have had some picks as well.