• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is McCaffery going to New York?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USCs defense was garbage tho i remember shaking my head as they refused to stack the box and let him run thriough wide open gaps.Leaving him wide open with busted coverage by our linebackers and DBs And break free after failing to wrap and follow through tackles. Im thankful wilcox is gone. talent is useless when you have bad coaching
Maybe biggest game should have been rephrased to best defense you faced all year.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knowOle miss was 11th and that was their one loss would have to look up the rest
This is like arguing if (name any NBA player) is over rated offensively not because the teams he is playing play softer or bad defense, but because the other teams don't score as many points.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heisman has always been based on opinions. That's part of the problem and why I do agree with boardref that it's a bullshit award. If statistical variable, etc. were used, the list of past winners would look very different. It's why there is so much debate over it every year.

For me, I prefer guys like McCaffrey, Adoree, etc. Guys that can hurt an opponent in multiple ways. Others prefer quarterbacks. Some prefer players like Henry who are great, old school, smashmouth running backs. It all comes down to opinion and popularity.
I prefer stats and breakdowns. I run numbers and analyze for a living so its in my nature. Ill run more in a bit. I want to hit on the other stats i listed. Ive never been fond of leaving things to opinion to me that leaves out. There are variables and i do think henry is the best player on this list for several reasons. Without henry i don't think Alabama is in the running for a national championship.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As A whole i have Henry well in the lead. And I had no choice but to use one game as a focal point when comparing defenses. McCaffery has only played one game against top defenses. As a whole the comparison becomes very lop sided . I cant see awarding a heisman based on their style of play. I have to look at the full resume and their competition. When you break it down it leans heavy towards henry. And he has hurt many teams in several ways. Does coker have the season he has had if henry doesn't open up the passing game? Henry has played a major role for Alabama and may very well continue to do so in their quest for a natty. Im not sold on McCaffery for a lot of reasons. I'll run more stats tho

Again, you're talking about these defenses without looking at the offense they faced. If you have an average to above average defense going against a bunch of offense challenged teams, there's a pretty good chance they are going to rank fairly high.

If you take that same defense and put them up against a bunch of teams with good to very good offenses, they are going to be ranked lower.

Is it not possible that the defenses Stanford played were ranked lower because they were facing better offenses?

By the same token, is also not possible that the defenses Henry faced were ranked higher because they faced offenses that weren't as good?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer stats and breakdowns. I run numbers and analyze for a living so its in my nature. Ill run more in a bit. I want to hit on the other stats i listed. Ive never been fond of leaving things to opinion to me that leaves out. There are variables and i do think henry is the best player on this list for several reasons. Without henry i don't think Alabama is in the running for a national championship.

That's all well and good, but it's not what the Heisman has been based on for a long, long time. If it ever was.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you're talking about these defenses without looking at the offense they faced. If you have an average to above average defense going against a bunch of offense challenged teams, there's a pretty good chance they are going to rank fairly high.

If you take that same defense and put them up against a bunch of teams with good to very good offenses, they are going to be ranked lower.

Is it not possible that the defenses Stanford played were ranked lower because they were facing better offenses?

By the same token, is also not possible that the defenses Henry faced were ranked higher because they faced offenses that weren't as good?
By that token, Northwestern faced worse offense all season long and still shut him down despite an "over inflated defense". Next argument.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all well and good, but it's not what the Heisman has been based on for a long, long time. If it ever was.
I'll run more numbers after i :doobs: y'all got me off my schedule :gaah: even without them i still think henry is the better player tho

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The northwestern and wisky games stick out the most to me.
These over inflated defense arguments would hold a lot more water if Northwestern wasn't in a damn identical situation to an SEC defense and still shut him down.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll run more numbers after i :doobs: y'all got me off my schedule :gaah: even without them i still think henry is the better player tho

How many ways can McCaffrey hurt a defense?

Now, how many ways can Henry?

I like Henry and have no issue if he wins the Heisman. But, I prefer McCaffrey.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By that token, Northwestern faced worse offense all season long and still shut him down despite an "over inflated defense". Next argument.

:lol: Typical Team SEC crap. Let's make it all about 1 game. Your whole argument boils down to because SEC.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually it goes to the best player that puts up the most stats on a title contending team. The award is a joke.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: Typical Team SEC crap. Let's make it all about 1 game. Your whole argument boils down to because SEC.
Nope, it boils down to 5 games by Henry and 1 by McCaffery.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wrong button :gaah: You can make that argument from both sides but i think henry hurts defenses in more ways than McCaffery. Just because he doesn't return kicks doesn't make him any less dangerous. He also opens up the passing game and does it against better defenses. And has 10 more TDs than McCaffery

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wrong button :gaah: You can make that argument from both sides but i think henry hurts defenses in more ways than McCaffery. Just because he doesn't return kicks doesn't make him any less dangerous. He also opens up the passing game and does it against better defenses. And has 10 more TDs than McCaffery
And has one in every game as opposed to McCaffery who hasn't scored in 6 ball games.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better all around player that mustered less than 100 yards against the only top 25 defense he played. The he only had 116 yards total against the 100th ranked UCF defense (win less garbage team). There are much better players who got the shaft and are sitting at home. I don't care about the Heisman, it is a stupid award. This year once again proves it is a fashion show and Miss America Pageant more than it is about football by bringing McCaffery.
You keep saying that, I keep pointing out they played 2 top 25 defenses, I understand why you'd want to ignore that, but he did much better against the top 25 defense when it wasn't the 1st game of the year. 100+ rushing, 100+ receiving, 2 touchdowns... not too bad.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie bush didn't crumble against strong defenses he elevated his game. McCaffery played 1 defense in the top 25 and was a no show.
Played 2 top 25 defenses.