• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why in the hell is Durant talking smack to the OKC bench?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you BUT KD and Westbrook got very close to get to the championship several times. They didn't win one but I think the lack of chemistry is kinda overblown IMO. Did KD want the ball in his hands more, probably but I would say he still had the ball in his hands A LOT. I would compare it to Lebron and Kyrie, they both have the ball in their hands A LOT. If they close out GS, which they didn't do, mainly bc KD didn't play good basketball. That's on him and the team....He stays in OKC, without a doubt if they get to the Finals.

I think they contend for the title if he stays. The only reason he went to the Warriors is bc it will be a hell of a lot easier to make it to the Finals and win it. Much easier than Lebron had it in Cleveland or KG or Ray Ray had it in Boston. I don't blame him for doing it with all that being said
i just dont understand that---- why do people think KD should have the ball in his hands more? he was 4th in the NBA in shots--- its not like he is a good ball handler and is a play-maker....

what exactly do these people think should have been done differently? RW is one of the best in the game at collasping a defense and passing out of it.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Tlance's argument is the style of Westbrook's game completely clashes with Durant's. He's not saying Westbrook is terrible, but he needs a certain type of teammate for his style of play to be effective.

Durant alternatively needs a different type of point guard than Westbrook.

Neither player is right or wrong. Both are supremely talented, but basketball-wise, they clashed.

This isn't about Westbrook being a bad player or being selfish. It's about Westbrook not being an ideal teammate for Kevin Durant. The reverse is also true in that Kevin Durant is not an ideal teammate for Russell Westbrook.

I find it weird that people have to decide one is better than the other without realizing that on their own, both are great players that need a certain type of structure to flourish. Most of it's being overlooked on Durant's side because his skill set allows him to still be great in any type of system. Westbrook it's harder for him because of the nature of his game.
What I don't understand is how come things continually have to be broken down for someone who claims to know so much about basketball. :gaah:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Tlance's argument is the style of Westbrook's game completely clashes with Durant's. He's not saying Westbrook is terrible, but he needs a certain type of teammate for his style of play to be effective.

Neither player is right or wrong. Both are supremely talented, but basketball-wise, they clashed.

This isn't about Westbrook being a bad player or being selfish. It's about Westbrook not being an ideal teammate for Kevin Durant. The reverse is also true in that Kevin Durant is not an ideal teammate for Russell Westbrook.

I find it weird that people have to decide one is better than the other without realizing that on their own, both are great players that need a certain type of structure to flourish. Most of it's being overlooked on Durant's side because his skill set allows him to still be great in any type of system. Westbrook it's harder for him because of the nature of his game.
like, what type of PG? i guess i dont understand --- does he think he should have gotten more shots? i mean- he was 4th in the NBA and on GSW its not like hes getting that again- or id be highly surprised

does he think durant should have the ball in his hands more as a playmaker? that doesnt even make sense.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just dont understand that---- why do people think KD should have the ball in his hands more? he was 4th in the NBA in shots--- its not like he is a good ball handler and is a play-maker....

what exactly do these people think should have been done differently? RW is one of the best in the game at collasping a defense and passing out of it.
OMG.
Because as their team was constructed RW was SUPPOSED to be the PG. PASSING the ball FIRST instead of looking for their own shot is what GOOD PGs do. It's no surprise now that KD is playing with a pass-first PG he's actually flourishing. SMH. This is not brain surgery my friend.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like, what type of PG? i guess i dont understand --- does he think he should have gotten more shots? i mean- he was 4th in the NBA and on GSW its not like hes getting that again- or id be highly surprised

does he think durant should have the ball in his hands more as a playmaker? that doesnt even make sense.

Not at all. Simply putting the ball in Durant's hands to create one on one creates a redundancy and doesn't solve any problems. The premise is mostly to get better ball movement, where KD was incorporated in the offense instead of just roaming off to the side while Westbrook did his thing. I think too much blame fell on Westbrook, and not enough on the coaching. But unfortunately when your team has no ball movement, the blame falls on the PG most times. That only amplifies by the volume of shots RW takes. If RW was only taking 14-15 shots a game, trust me, no one would blame him for KD not getting the ball.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just Westbrook. If you put KD with Kobe or Iverson or Tmac, all these same problems exist.

Likewise if you put Westbrook with Kobe, Iverson or Tmac, the same situation applies.

Both players need a system to be cultivated around their specific skill sets because both are that talented. It's entirely possible RW becomes the face of a championship level team because he is that good. The problem is you need to build a roster that compliments his game. That means surrounding him with elite defenders and 3 point shooters. It means that you're likely not going to have much of a post game because he's not going to come and dump the ball down in the paint. Adams is perfect for him. Oladipo and Kanter are horrible fits. It's about building a squad around RW that allows him to do what he does best, get buckets and get things going to the hoop. By doing that he forces teams to double down, and he can rely on kicking the ball out last second for 3 point shooters. You also need the 3 point shooters to space the court and allow him to work.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Simply putting the ball in Durant's hands to create one on one creates a redundancy and doesn't solve any problems. The premise is mostly to get better ball movement, where KD was incorporated in the offense instead of just roaming off to the side while Westbrook did his thing. I think too much blame fell on Westbrook, and not enough on the coaching. But unfortunately when your team has no ball movement, the blame falls on the PG most times. That only amplifies by the volume of shots RW takes. If RW was only taking 14-15 shots a game, trust me, no one would blame him for KD not getting the ball.
but- he did get KD the ball- like all the time....i mean...KD took the 4th most shots in the league and no player assisted on more buckets then the rw/durant combo in the entire league....

its not only the coaching- but its also the personnel too- i mean- do you see a bunch of draymond greens and boguts on OKC that can pass the ball and move the ball and shoot?

if KD wanted to move on and wanted an easier path to win a title- i mean- thats his right even if i think hes a pansy- but to blame RW for it seems rididculus...not that i am saying you are--- you seem at least to partly agree.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just Westbrook. If you put KD with Kobe or Iverson or Tmac, all these same problems exist.

Likewise if you put Westbrook with Kobe, Iverson or Tmac, the same situation applies.

Both players need a system to be cultivated around their specific skill sets because both are that talented. It's entirely possible RW becomes the face of a championship level team because he is that good. The problem is you need to build a roster that compliments his game. That means surrounding him with elite defenders and 3 point shooters. It means that you're likely not going to have much of a post game because he's not going to come and dump the ball down in the paint. Adams is perfect for him. Oladipo and Kanter are horrible fits. It's about building a squad around RW that allows him to do what he does best, get buckets and get things going to the hoop. By doing that he forces teams to double down, and he can rely on kicking the ball out last second for 3 point shooters. You also need the 3 point shooters to space the court and allow him to work.
I think that if OKC had just brought on a true PG and slid RW to the 2 things would've worked out better for them.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but cmon....are iverson or tmac going to be the 2nd in the ENTIRE NBA- in assists? cmon....IF RW had 5 assists a game and was taking more shots then durant id get it....instead he set up durant more than anyone set up anyone in the entire league- and was 2nd in the league in assists- i mean that seems IDEAL to me.

i think it just came down to durant got scared and wanted an easier path to win it thinking that he could never get by gsw or cle.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that if OKC had just brought on a true PG and slid RW to the 2 things would've worked out better for them.
well thats because you have the brain of an opossum. that is literally the worst idea i have ever seen. take the ball out of BOTH of their hands. lol. geezus.....this was a joke post right?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well thats because you have the brain of an opossum. that is literally the worst idea i have ever seen. take the ball out of BOTH of their hands. lol. geezus.....this was a joke post right?
And you have no brain at all if you think that idea won't work- especially since we've already seen what KD has done with a true PG.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait to play the weasel in OKC.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but cmon....are iverson or tmac going to be the 2nd in the ENTIRE NBA- in assists? cmon....IF RW had 5 assists a game and was taking more shots then durant id get it....instead he set up durant more than anyone set up anyone in the entire league- and was 2nd in the league in assists- i mean that seems IDEAL to me.

i think it just came down to durant got scared and wanted an easier path to win it thinking that he could never get by gsw or cle.

Kevin Durant took the most shots in the NBA last year within the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. Do you think it was because he was dribbling out the shot clock at the top of the key, then decided to shoot?

And again, Iverson was routinely in the top 10 in assist per game every year in his prime, when he hoisted an incredible number of shots. Assists don't tell the full story. You can get an assist if you dribble out the ball for 22 seconds and pass it to a guy who hits a 3. Still counts as an assist in the stat sheet, but it's not a good one in the grand scheme of things.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait to play the weasel in OKC.

Kevin Durant gave you everything he had for 9 years, but you call the guy a weasel? Amazing.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There it is. You had me fooled for a second on where this thread was going, but there it is.

Reactions: LAD

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you!

Perfectly stated synopsis of my position.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not think KD should have the ball in his hands more. I don't understand how you fail to grasp what I am always preaching.

The ball needs to MOVE.

Neither KD nor Westbrook should have had the ball MORE. When the ball moves better, KD will finish the play. The ball did not move well in OKC.

And no, not every player with a high assist rate is a ball stopper. Westbrook, Rondo and Wall are. Not Magic. LOL.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't open the threads if the truth gets your panties in such a bunch.

I mean really, how hard is it to skip over the thread if you can't handle it and you become emotionally distraught?

Grow up.

If what you were saying actually held some relevance that would be one thing. The fact is Kanter and Westbrook have been taking shots at Durant since he made the choice to come to GS.

Thunder center Enes Kanter takes jab at Kevin Durant on Twitter

Kanter was jawing at Durant like an idiot while KD was handing OKC a good ol fashoined beat down.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you BUT KD and Westbrook got very close to get to the championship several times. They didn't win one but I think the lack of chemistry is kinda overblown IMO. Did KD want the ball in his hands more, probably but I would say he still had the ball in his hands A LOT. I would compare it to Lebron and Kyrie, they both have the ball in their hands A LOT. If they close out GS, which they didn't do, mainly bc KD didn't play good basketball. That's on him and the team....He stays in OKC, without a doubt if they get to the Finals.

I think they contend for the title if he stays. The only reason he went to the Warriors is bc it will be a hell of a lot easier to make it to the Finals and win it. Much easier than Lebron had it in Cleveland or KG or Ray Ray had it in Boston. I don't blame him for doing it with all that being said

I do not think the lack of chemistry is overblown.

They were both consensus top 5 players in the league. They also had some other high quality pieces on the roster for the duration of their run together.

Tell me this:

In the last 40 years, can you name another duo that were each consensus top 5 players who were on the same team for as long as KD and Russ yet still failed to win a title?

If the chemistry between those players had worked, they should have won a ring and at least appeared in more than 1 NBA Final.

I know they had injury years and not great coaching with Brooks, but still. When you have that much talent, the bar can and should be higher than just getting kind of close.