• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why in the hell is Durant talking smack to the OKC bench?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would wreck you 1 on 1.

And what you say makes zero sense...Durant averaged 31 shots a game in those chokes.

Almost all in isolation with little ball movement.

And LOL at the 1 on 1 claims. You know nothing about me, and it just further proves you know nothing about basketball. Basketball is a team game.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's making excuses over and over for Durant, while vilifying Westbrook as the scapegoat.

If ring chasing wasn't Durant's priority, he wouldn't have went to a 73 win team.

Durant took the easy way out and destroyed the integrity of competition in the process.
Rw averaged over 10 assists a game and was 2nd in the league in assists and durant shot the ball over 19 times a game....

i mean....its not like Durant is playing point guard and should have the ball in his hands as a play maker.....tlance just hates point guards that dont play like its the 1960s

tebowGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course, Durant had 11 more FG attempts than Westbrook in the west finals and averaged 9 less assists a game.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would wreck you 1 on 1.

And what you say makes zero sense...Durant averaged 31 shots a game in those chokes.

giphy.gif

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all in isolation with little ball movement.

And LOL at the 1 on 1 claims. You know nothing about me, and it just further proves you know nothing about basketball. Basketball is a team game.
your an idiot.....nobody finished more assists from one player tha Durant did from RW last year in the entire league.

your "iso" claim is a complete fabrication

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rw averaged over 10 assists a game and was 2nd in the league in assists and durant shot the ball over 19 times a game....

i mean....its not like Durant is playing point guard and should have the ball in his hands as a play maker.....tlance just hates point guards that dont play like its the 1960s

Not true at all.

I like WEstbrook. I like scoring point guards.

I think KD and westbrook were an awful fit. Because Westbrook constantly needed to prove he was the man, and although not an alpha, Durant is the superior player.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true at all.

I think KD and westbrook were an awful fit. Because Westbrook constantly needed to prove he was the man, and although not an alpha, Durant is the superior player.
why do you think that beyond your own biased subjective opinion? what stats actually back that up?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is an interesting article from a couple years ago--- when RW assists were not even what they were last year

From ESPN's Tom Haberstroh:

Did you know that he has the highest assist percentage in the NBA? Westbrook has assisted on 47.8 percent of his teammates' baskets while he's on the floor, the highest rate among all NBA players this season. For perspective, Magic Johnson, perhaps the best facilitator of all time, posted a career mark of 40.9 percent.

This is what gets lost in the Westbrook conversation. Westbrook helps his teammates immensely by collapsing the defense and finding the open man. It'd be one thing if Westbrook scored 39 points on 38 shots and didn't help others score. But he created 26 points off his 11 assists Thursday night. Earlier this week, he scored 21 points and pulled down eight rebounds, which is your average Blake Griffin night. But here's the thing: On top of that typical Griffin night, Westbrook dropped 17 dimes that led to 38 points. Who does that? Westbrook does.

We've never seen this magnitude of shot creation. ESPN director of analytics Benjamin Alamar, who worked for the Thunder when they drafted Westbrook in 2008, looked it up earlier this week and found that Westbrook's combination of scoring and distributing is unmatched historically.

The updated numbers: Westbrook's 38 percent usage percentage and 48 percent assist percentage (rounding both numbers up) give him a total impact of 86 percent. In other words, roughly 86 percent of Thunder possessions with Westbrook on the floor end with either a Westbrook shot, free throw, turnover or assist. The next closest on record? That would be 77 percent, a far cry from what Westbrook is doing right now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a greatr ead for you @tlance perhaps you should enter the modern NBA.

Westbrook made Durant's job easier, not harder

With all of the news coming out in recent weeks about the relationship between Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant now that Durant is a member of the Golden State Warriors, it begs the question: is Westbrook a difficult point guard to play with in today's NBA?

As a ball-dominant point guard, Westbrook often plays with blinders on, which reportedly frustrated Durant during his eight years in Oklahoma City. Sure, Westbrook at times dribbled the ball a lot, pounding it into the floor, which led to stalled offensive sets. Sure, he took too many 3-pointers and played hero ball at times, and sure, he's not the most affable guy when on the court due to his fire and passion, but again, does that make him a difficult point guard to play with?

If you dive into the numbers and really understand something about Westbrook, you will see that he's always looking to get his teammates involved. When on the floor last season, Westbrook assisted on 49.1 percent(!!!) of Oklahoma City's buckets.

That number is astounding for a point guard who is "hard to play with," especially when you consider that that number was good for second in the entire NBA (again,!!!) behind Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul.

I was recently listening to a podcast with Zach Lowe and Howard Beck when I heard that number. Driving home from work in my car I almost had to pull over I was in so much shock: the good kind of shock (if there is such a thing).

Combine that with the fact that Westbrook's passing is a key component of his team's success. Only Rajon Rondo (27.1) and John Wall (24.7) created more points via assist than Westbrook (23.7) did last season.

While Westbrook's PER dropped from 29.1 in 2014-15 to 27.6, his assist numbers actually increased. Durant's PER was higher than Westbrook's this past season (28.2), but Durant took more shots per game than Westbrook while assisting on just 24 percent of baskets scored when on the floor.

I certainly understand Durant's frustration in the offense during his eight seasons here, but a lot of that had to do with scheme under Scott Brooks that continued during a good portion of Billy Donovan's first season as players worked to incorporate his new offensive scheme. However, by the time the playoffs rolled around, the Thunder offense was significantly better and looks to be heading in the right direction with Westbrook running the pick and roll as the basis for most action.

But this notion of Westbrook being a difficult point guard to play with absolutely has to die a quick death. It's absolute nonsense and it's an old, lazy narrative surrounding his style of play.

Just this past season, more than one-third (35.4 percent) of Westbrook's passes in the regular season went to Durant. That number jumped to 44.6 percent in the playoffs. And yet Durant reportedly complained that Westbrook wasn't delivering the ball to him enough. With Westbrook's 10.2 assists per game, roughly six went to either Durant or Serge Ibaka, with Durant holding the lion's share of those six assists.

Maybe — and this is a big maybe — Durant was the difficult one to play with at times, often doing very little to get himself open or work without the ball. Maybe Durant was just tired of the style of basketball that the Thunder played, and that's perfectly fine. That's his taste.

But this whole media tour of blaming Westbrook in some form or another for Durant leaving has got to stop now. He's not a difficult guy to play with; the numbers speak for themselves.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

The assist percentage is a problem, not proof that he is a team player.

Westbrook gets assists because he has the ball so damn much. Wall and Rondo are also ball dominating players. It does not matter that Westbrook eventually passes the ball to KD often. When the ball moves, the defense has to continually adjust. When it doesn't, even great players are easy to guard. Dribble, dribble pass is much easier to guard than pass, pass dribble. If the ball is not moving side to side, it is easy to defend.

OKC's entire offense was often stagnant last season because the ball was always in either KD or Westbrook's hands. When they got stagnant, the defense loaded to those two players and they were forced to take contested shots.

But, I am done here. Not going to argue you two clowns.

By the way wiggy, go check this dude's threads on LeBron before you choose to join forces with him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Westbrook gets assists because he has the ball so damn much. Wall and Rondo are also ball dominating players. It does not matter that Westbrook eventually passes the ball to KD often. When the ball moves, the defense has to continually adjust. When it doesn't, even great players are easy to guard. Dribble, dribble pass is much easier to guard than pass, pass dribble. If the ball is not moving side to side, it is easy to defend.

OKC's entire offense was often stagnant last season because the ball was always in either KD or Westbrook's hands. When they got stagnant, the defense loaded to those two players and they were forced to take contested shots.

By the way wiggy, go check this dude's threads on LeBron before you choose to join forces with him.
im by no means "joining forces" with anyone

when you say stupid stuff like "Almost all in isolation"--- when RW was 2nd in the league in assists- and NO PLAYER IN THE NBA finished more assists from one player to the next then RW to Durant-- you KINDA lose all your credibility.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is hilarious. Carry on...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

so- Chris Paul and Magic Johnson had really high assist percentages---- but those are problems ....???

REALLY? REALLLY?!!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

I agree with you BUT KD and Westbrook got very close to get to the championship several times. They didn't win one but I think the lack of chemistry is kinda overblown IMO. Did KD want the ball in his hands more, probably but I would say he still had the ball in his hands A LOT. I would compare it to Lebron and Kyrie, they both have the ball in their hands A LOT. If they close out GS, which they didn't do, mainly bc KD didn't play good basketball. That's on him and the team....He stays in OKC, without a doubt if they get to the Finals.

I think they contend for the title if he stays. The only reason he went to the Warriors is bc it will be a hell of a lot easier to make it to the Finals and win it. Much easier than Lebron had it in Cleveland or KG or Ray Ray had it in Boston. I don't blame him for doing it with all that being said

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- i dont understand--- does @tlance think durant should have had the ball more in his hands as a playmaker a-la LeBron? thats not Durants game AT ALL.

like- what does he think should have happened different?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to stop trolling. Every other day another garbage thread started by you.

To answer the question though, KD had every right to be pissed. Russ dressed up as a photographer clearly to take a shot at KD and Kanter was constantly yapping at him from the bench. KD had enough and put Kanter in his place like any man in his spot would have.

By the way, how could anybody watching last night still not get why KD left? It isn't just about ring chasing. Westbrook is talented and loyal, but very difficult to play with. He is a black hole. Now on a team with far more offensive firepower, KD is finally being utilized like he should be. He is the best scorer in the NBA. Now, finally on a team with other talented scorers willing to share, we will see just how good he is.

KD should never have had to take turns with an inefficient volume shooter like Westbrook. Like it or not, he is the best player in Golden State and he should have been utilized better in OKC. Westbrook's playing style never made that possible.

This is not meant to be a shot at Westbrook. He is a great player in his own right, but his style did not mesh with KD's. They had many years together to figure it out and could not.

Now, OP, get over it.

My thoughts exactly! Furthermore, why did they take it personal? They are mad because he made a choice to leave and play with guys who actually play the game right? IMO those guys were never the people he thought they were.

Too willing to ride his coattail and feel scorned because he pulled his tail back? I think it's because they know Russell isn't the leader he or anybody else thinks he is. But that will become even more clear throughout the season.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true at all.

Well we saw last night what Westbrook being the alpha gets them against good teams.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- i dont understand--- does @tlance think durant should have had the ball more in his hands as a playmaker a-la LeBron? thats not Durants game AT ALL.

like- what does he think should have happened different?

No, Tlance's argument is the style of Westbrook's game completely clashes with Durant's. He's not saying Westbrook is terrible, but he needs a certain type of teammate for his style of play to be effective.

Durant alternatively needs a different type of point guard than Westbrook.

Neither player is right or wrong. Both are supremely talented, but basketball-wise, they clashed.

This isn't about Westbrook being a bad player or being selfish. It's about Westbrook not being an ideal teammate for Kevin Durant. The reverse is also true in that Kevin Durant is not an ideal teammate for Russell Westbrook.

I find it weird that people have to decide one is better than the other without realizing that on their own, both are great players that need a certain type of structure to flourish. Most of it's being overlooked on Durant's side because his skill set allows him to still be great in any type of system. Westbrook it's harder for him because of the nature of his game.