• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Can't The Lakers Hire A Coach

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLF, the reference I made to the ship being righted is in connection with the direction the franchise was headed which was down the shitter when short buss had total control. Yep, I agree that it will take awhile as I have always stated but at least the direction has been corrected just as Kobe admonished the Buss family to do. And no, I am not delusional because I have worked with people who satisfy the clinical definition of it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers made a huge mistake when they hired Dumbtoni instead of Phil Jackson even if they wanted to go into a post Jackson era. With Jeanie and Phil engaged to be married, they surely could have found a good place for Phil to fit in. I get it they might have wanted true independence, but I personally think it was more stubborn pride in not wanting to admit they needed help.

Any one who thinks that this ship has been correct is delusional - Dr Buss had the advantage of decades of experience and even he made mistakes. It is going to take more than a few years for the children to learn how to run a good organization. Like it or not the Lakers are not marquee club any more, but with in time they can become one after Kobe is gone. With Kobe hogging up close to half of the salary cap, the Lakers are not going to rebuild and that's the reason players like Howard, Lebron and Anthony didn't come. They already knew that It is Kobe's camp.

I disagree that the ship hasn't been corrected. Just because something is going to take awhile, doesn't mean it isn't headed in the right direction.

The Lakers were able to improve the team, get some assets that they didn't have and have hired a coach that most seem to think is right for the job. Delusional would be thinking those things are somehow still heading the wrong direction.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that the ship hasn't been corrected. Just because something is going to take awhile, doesn't mean it isn't headed in the right direction.

The Lakers were able to improve the team, get some assets that they didn't have and have hired a coach that most seem to think is right for the job. Delusional would be thinking those things are somehow still heading the wrong direction.

I agree tf!! I think we're far ahead of where we were last year. I'm happy with the Byron being hired. As far as it taking so long, meh. Pretty sure FO was gonna take the time they needed to make sure this was the direction they wanted to go. As we saw with Brown and D'Antoni, might have been a bit of a knee jerk reaction, and we all know how that turned out. If they got the guy they wanted, who cares how long it took?!

Now, has anyone heard if G Payton is coming with?? :hope:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Louie. The word is out that Gary Payton is going to be an assistant-I think. Gary is on FoxSports on the basketball segment and on Friday he was not allowed to give any direct answers but he smiled enough you could tell that he will be on Byron's staff.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope you're right, but I will need to see more than one correct decision made from the new owners of the Lakers before being convinced. I have taught many children, however that making good decisions consistently begins with making the best decision first and then building on it so lets hope this is the case:hope:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLF, the reference I made to the ship being righted is in connection with the direction the franchise was headed which was down the shitter when short buss had total control. Yep, I agree that it will take awhile as I have always stated but at least the direction has been corrected just as Kobe admonished the Buss family to do. And no, I am not delusional because I have worked with people who satisfy the clinical definition of it.

I hope you're right, but I still need to see more good decisions following this good decision which by the way is not completed yet. The Lakers could screw this up and cause Scott to walk. I doubt that happens, but I want to see atleast this hire completed first..

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the mean time, the Lakers will be a mediocre team and should be good enough to make the playoffs and win a couple of games in the first round. They would really have to be super healthy and somewhat lucky to do much better without that lucky trade like they did with Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers made a huge mistake when they hired Dumbtoni instead of Phil Jackson even if they wanted to go into a post Jackson era. With Jeanie and Phil engaged to be married, they surely could have found a good place for Phil to fit in. I get it they might have wanted true independence, but I personally think it was more stubborn pride in not wanting to admit they needed help.

Any one who thinks that this ship has been correct is delusional - Dr Buss had the advantage of decades of experience and even he made mistakes. It is going to take more than a few years for the children to learn how to run a good organization. Like it or not the Lakers are not marquee club any more, but with in time they can become one after Kobe is gone. With Kobe hogging up close to half of the salary cap, the Lakers are not going to rebuild and that's the reason players like Howard, Lebron and Anthony didn't come. They already knew that It is Kobe's camp.

I notice some laker fans here who only see the sunshine LOL I will wait and see if we are headed in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice some Lakers fans only see doom and gloom...:rollseyes:

Well when 3 of your 4 are not very good. It is hard to see much positive.:lol: I will wait and see before I say we are headed in the right direction.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right, but I will need to see more than one correct decision made from the new owners of the Lakers before being convinced. I have taught many children, however that making good decisions consistently begins with making the best decision first and then building on it so lets hope this is the case:hope:

I just listed 3 right decisions, so you should be happy.:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice some laker fans here who only see the sunshine LOL I will wait and see if we are headed in the right direction.

Well when 3 of your 4 are not very good. It is hard to see much positive.:lol: I will wait and see before I say we are headed in the right direction.

It's not about seeing only sunshine, it's about understanding where things are with this team and what they have had to overcome just to get where they are.

The Howard/Nash deal that looked so great when it was done, blows up in their face. Dr. Buss dies, leaving the organization in mourning and without it's leader. Mike Brown gets fired, D'Antoni gets hired after everyone thought the Lakers were getting Phil, which set D'Antoni up for failure. Last seasons team has a rash of injuries that was historic and often didn't even have enough healthy bodies to practice 5 on 5 and finishes with the worst record the franchise has had since moving to L.A.

To go from that, to a team that most are saying will finish at around .500 and who, with a little luck, could make the playoffs. Adding some solid young players and possibly the steal of the draft in Clarkson. Along with how professionally and "Dr. Buss-like" the pursuit of 'Melo was handled and the fact that we now have a coach that folks believe in, there is some reason for optimism.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about seeing only sunshine, it's about understanding where things are with this team and what they have had to overcome just to get where they are.

The Howard/Nash deal that looked so great when it was done, blows up in their face. Dr. Buss dies, leaving the organization in mourning and without it's leader. Mike Brown gets fired, D'Antoni gets hired after everyone thought the Lakers were getting Phil, which set D'Antoni up for failure. Last seasons team has a rash of injuries that was historic and often didn't even have enough healthy bodies to practice 5 on 5 and finishes with the worst record the franchise has had since moving to L.A.

To go from that, to a team that most are saying will finish at around .500 and who, with a little luck, could make the playoffs. Adding some solid young players and possibly the steal of the draft in Clarkson. Along with how professionally and "Dr. Buss-like" the pursuit of 'Melo was handled and the fact that we now have a coach that folks believe in, there is some reason for optimism.

Hell, when we got Howard and Nash a lot of so-called experts had us pushing 65+ wins that season and we got swept in the first round after BARELY making the playoffs.

What's to say the opposite can't happen?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, when we got Howard and Nash a lot of so-called experts had us pushing 65+ wins that season and we got swept in the first round after BARELY making the playoffs.

What's to say the opposite can't happen?

I'm as optimistic as anyone. But if this team even gets to 55 wins. Kobe should win both the MVP and Comeback player of the year, Randle should win Rookie of the Year, Byron should win Coach of the Year and Mitch should win Executive of the Year.:suds:

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm as optimistic as anyone. But if this team even gets to 55 wins. Kobe should win both the MVP and Comeback player of the year, Randle should win Rookie of the Year, Byron should win Coach of the Year and Mitch should win Executive of the Year.:suds:

40-45 wins as long as Kobe is healthy seems realistic.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the way I see it, barring injuries this is a 50 win team.

Last year, if the team didn't get bitten by the injury bug, they were on course for 40 wins. They were 13-13 by December 20th before Kobe got hurt again and we were having serious issues at both the PG and the C position.