• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why being a conference champion should not give automatic bids to a playoff

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, posters here can't agree on the best format. What makes us think those that decide the top 2(BCS) or 4(Playoff) teams have any more luck? If more teams would emulate ND's OOC schedule and play "real" teams from majors, we'd have a better idea. However, the current system, upon which teams are ranked based on 'gut' feeling and perceived strength doesn't allow a gauge to measure how good a team is....just how good it is against its own conf. If a conf has a good team, is there 'trickle down' that elevates its lesser teams?

Valid point. If conference championships were used to decide the playoff teams, it could possibly encourage better OOC match ups, because by losing OOC, you would still be able to make the playoff by winning your conference. OOC match ups would determine the strength of each conference, and each conference would be encouraged to put their best out there against the best of other conferences so their conference could be perceived as strong.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long day for me. ND OOC games? Wouldn't that be all? You know what I mean though...

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valid point. If conference championships were used to decide the playoff teams, it could possibly encourage better OOC match ups, because by losing OOC, you would still be able to make the playoff by winning your conference. OOC match ups would determine the strength of each conference, and each conference would be encouraged to put their best out there against the best of other conferences so their conference could be perceived as strong.

Yep. Even tho I'm not a ND fan, got to respect their schedule each season. Just from this season, BIG CC Mich St., #11 OU, #14 ASU, #5 Stanford, Mich, USC. Got to respect that...

OU tries to at least play one power OOC game each season. The past 4 have included a home/away series with FSU and ND. Lets see more of this!

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2001 nebraska got in after getting skull fucked by colorado in their very last game before the ncg. CU went on to win b12. NU went on to watch the canes start subbing at the end of the 2nd q of a fucking ncg....on their way to another skull fucking.

Chris Simms' fault.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I See. Bama only lost because of the refs.

I bet if bama threw up a hail Mary and won on a 'fluke play' it would be totally different. Auburn's win over Georgia wouldn't be considered 'luck' anymore and we should still be in the hypothetical playoff because we're on the same level as bama. The refs would have clearly given them the game with so many no calls on holds and blocks in the back