• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why being a conference champion should not give automatic bids to a playoff

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do away with probation and let the teams play. Only fine them the potential winnings and spread it to the other schools in the conference.

If the season is the "playoffs", then the division winners and conference championships are the quarter-finals. Then you have semi-finals and the championship. It's stupid to let a team that didn't win their division SKIP the quarter-finals.

i'd be okay with that i guess. it seems dumb to have teams go on probation and punish the kids that are there now or will be there in the future than the responsible parties anyway.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all there are 5 conferences, so if there is a 6-6 conference champ they are not getting in. If we are discussing a larger format, who cares. I really dont care if there is 6-6 team getting in over the 8th rated seed. That is such a different argument than awarding a spot in NC game. It is also much different the a 4 team argument.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all there are 5 conferences, so if there is a 6-6 conference champ they are not getting in. If we are discussing a larger format, who cares. I really dont care if there is 6-6 team getting in over the 8th rated seed. That is such a different argument than awarding a spot in NC game. It is also much different the a 4 team argument.

there's actually 6 AQ conferences.

but you really wouldn't have a problem with a 6-6 team getting in over, say, an 11-2 SEC team with quality wins that just narrowly lost the SEC title game? or a 13-0 northern illinois team that didn't poop themselves?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's actually 6 AQ conferences.

but you really wouldn't have a problem with a 6-6 team getting in over, say, an 11-2 SEC team with quality wins that just narrowly lost the SEC title game? or a 13-0 northern illinois team that didn't poop themselves?

I believe the Big East or whatever its called is losing its AQ status. No I really would not care. Only format this happens is in a 8 team playoff. You are looking at Missouri getting the boot at #8 in favor of a 6-6 team. Not really going to effect the results. Every time they add teams it lowers the importance of the team left out.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Big East or whatever its called is losing its AQ status. No I really would not care. Only format this happens is in a 8 team playoff. You are looking at Missouri getting the boot at #8 in favor of a 6-6 team. Not really going to effect the results. Every time they add teams it lowers the importance of the team left out.

i haven't done that much research on the subject, but as far as the playoff is concerned, every conference is losing their AQ status.

andi don't disagree with your last couple sentences... but an 11-2 missouri team getting left out in favor of a 6-6 or 7-5 or even 8-4 conference champion that didn't even play in a good conference (the big east a few years ago where uconn went to the fiesta bowl sticks out) would be a sham.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems the problem here is all this "conference" shit. Let's do away with conferences all together. Take the top 64 teams and draw names out of a hat to set their schedules at the beginning of the year. Then have the 4 or 8 best teams at the end of the year play it off for the Championship.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i haven't done that much research on the subject, but as far as the playoff is concerned, every conference is losing their AQ status.

andi don't disagree with your last couple sentences... but an 11-2 missouri team getting left out in favor of a 6-6 or 7-5 or even 8-4 conference champion that didn't even play in a good conference (the big east a few years ago where uconn went to the fiesta bowl sticks out) would be a sham.

If it's a 4 team playoff, do you really believe that a 6-6 or 7-5 team would really be high enough to beat out the other 7 conference winners who wouldn't be making the playoff?

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty simple: probation.

You create situations where you might end up with the 3rd or 4th best team in a conference gets an automatic bid because other teams in the conference had been cheating. See: Wisconsin in 2012, and very nearly UCLA and Georgia Tech a few years back. I think both teams were 6-6 and played for their conference titles. Both did lose, but had they won, it would be a shame for them to go over a 1 loss (or even 4 loss) conference non-champion.

I can't see it any other way. Win your conference and your in. It's pretty simple. It's the most natural way to determine a REAL champion. Oh and by now I think the athletes KNOW the consequences of ruining that for there team. That's just to bad. If your on probation the next team with the best record head to head in that division is the conference winner. DUH!

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see it any other way. Win your conference and your in. It's pretty simple. It's the most natural way to determine a REAL champion. Oh and by now I think the athletes KNOW the consequences of ruining that for there team. That's just to bad. If your on probation the next team with the best record head to head in that division is the conference winner. DUH!

so in a year where you have a 12-1 south carolina team that didn't win the SEC and a 10-3 clemson team that did win the ACC and south carolina beat clemson 42-7, you feel that clemson should be in and south carolina out, right? and even better if clemson were 10-2 and were on probation then a 9-4 florida state team that lost to clemson and florida (who finished lower than south carolina in the SEC) would be in, right?

seems fair.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so in a year where you have a 12-1 south carolina team that didn't win the SEC and a 10-3 clemson team that did win the ACC and south carolina beat clemson 42-7, you feel that clemson should be in and south carolina out, right? and even better if clemson were 10-2 and were on probation then a 9-4 florida state team that lost to clemson and florida (who finished lower than south carolina in the SEC) would be in, right?

seems fair.

As team SEC would say, "They shouldn't have lost that game"

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As team SEC would say, "They shouldn't have lost that game"

yawn...

play more than 1 ranked team a season and maybe you will understand why the SEC is held to a different standard than your pisspoor michigan state team.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am fine with it. The odds are extremely low a 6-6 team will win a major conference. I am much more concerned about a 1-2 lose conference winner being left out. It would be a shame if in 2018 a 2 loss SEC winner is left out, because people think the SEC is down.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seems fair.

too many hypothetical situations being presented that rarely occur. There are always going to be arguments about what team is really better than the other. Who's to say that 10-3 Clemson team wouldn't beat USC in a rematch? USCe got the best of them on one particular Saturday. It could be a different outcome in a rematch. For example LSU/ Bama - 2011.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too many hypothetical situations being presented that rarely occur. There are always going to be arguments about what team is really better than the other. Who's to say that 10-3 Clemson team wouldn't beat USC in a rematch? USCe got the best of them on one particular Saturday. It could be a different outcome in a rematch. For example LSU/ Bama - 2011.

i guess. but we would never find out because south carolina, by not being a conference champion wouldn't necessarily be in the playoff.

seems to me that you could have a clause that states if a conference champion loses to a non-champion fro another conference, that conference champion no longer gets an automatic bid and it becomes an at-large (that could still go to the conference champion). or something like that.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand there will be no "automatic bids" to any of the conferences. The teams will be selected based on whatever criteria the committee comes up with to select the four teams. This whole argument is pointless.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 4 of the fianl top 5 in the BCS standings??? Only team left out would be Bama and they left THEMSELVES out by losing to Auburn. Perfect.

Who did Michigan St lose to? Who are the TWO teams Stanford lost to? Hell, who did Auburn lose to? Alabama beat LSU. LSU beat Auburn. We tied for the west, We lost in a match of cards!

Alabama did lose at Auburn with several things going against them at the end and I don't mean the 109 yard return. Some untimely very questionable penalties yet their out because they didn't win a conference won by a two loss team? :doh: Conference champs should only decide a close vote, that's all! This playoff with a subjective committee is going to create more controversy than the BCS. Promise! They should have used the BCS formula and just picked the four top teams from it.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I See. Bama only lost because of the refs.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
omg @ still blaming the refs.

why do bama fans act like they are the only team to have calls go against them? there was an obvious block in the back on that christion jones return. who cares? i'm sure if i went back and went over the game with a fine-toothed comb i could find a dozen or more plays where a penalty could have been called but wasn't... whether it be a late hit, helmet-to-helmet, holding, illegal use of hands, whatever...

alabama lost. the sun keeps rising in the east and setting in the west. life goes on. unless you were an alabama fan at a party in hoover, alabama, and didn't react strongly enough to the alabama loss.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, posters here can't agree on the best format. What makes us think those that decide the top 2(BCS) or 4(Playoff) teams have any more luck? If more teams would emulate ND's OOC schedule and play "real" teams from majors, we'd have a better idea. However, the current system, upon which teams are ranked based on 'gut' feeling and perceived strength doesn't allow a gauge to measure how good a team is....just how good it is against its own conf. If a conf has a good team, is there 'trickle down' that elevates its lesser teams?