• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why being a conference champion should not give automatic bids to a playoff

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be 4 20 team conferences. 10 teams a division, round robin. 4 conference title games, winners all get in the playoffs. Round robin means no excuses, win your division, conference, then playoffs. Non conference games can still be good, since you can lose them and still win your way to a natl title.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be 4 20 team conferences. 10 teams a division, round robin. 4 conference title games, winners all get in the playoffs. Round robin means no excuses, win your division, conference, then playoffs. Non conference games can still be good, since you can lose them and still win your way to a natl title.

and they would also be scrimmages with zero bearing on the championship. coaches may very well treat them like preseason games without risking injury to key players and just sort out their depth chart.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and they would also be scrimmages with zero bearing on the championship. coaches may very well treat them like preseason games without risking injury to key players and just sort out their depth chart.

And playing teams like Georgia Southern aren't considered scrimmages with the starters sitting out most of the game?:yahoo:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And playing teams like Georgia Southern aren't considered scrimmages with the starters sitting out most of the game?:yahoo:

Not if youre Florida???

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

completely different. if you lose to georgia southern, it hurts you in the national title picture. in the given scenario, you could lose to georgia southern (or any other team good or bad) in nonconference play and it would have no bearing on it.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another argument why it should be best four teams and not just conference champs is what if a couple of the big 5 conferences have champs with 2 or 3 losses there is no way they would be more deserving than a 1 loss non conference champ from the SEC. Somebody might have posted this already I didnt read all the damn comments.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another argument why it should be best four teams and not just conference champs is what if a couple of the big 5 conferences have champs with 2 or 3 losses there is no way they would be more deserving than a 1 loss non conference champ from the SEC.

a lot of these idiots subscribe to the theory "if you aren't the best team in your conference [because you lost a game], then how can you be the best team in the country?" but gloss over the fact that you evidently can be the best team in the country if you've lost 2 or 3 games... even to a team that didn't win their conference.

this has happened recently with clemson winning the ACC and losing to south carolina. for some reason, people think clemson would have "earned" their way in, but not south carolina.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, you and I kind of agree on this issue, But I admit, it's fun to listen to you play your violin about it. I get it, your school had it all set, a made to order paved highway to the NC game, and like Linda Loveless, choked on it in the end. It's ok, feel free to take out your frustrations on me, I'm here for you.

I just have to bust your chops each time i see you now since it appears you revert to Bama in almost every post, then when you posted what you did i couldnt help myself this time.

I do like that we are going to a playoff, just wish it was bigger, but for now this will do as long as we keep it the best 4 teams possible.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tell that to Florida, they played their starters the whole game and still lost.:lol:

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would kind of be in favor of the idea of Taking the 3 highest ranked conferance champs and 1 at large team. But we got a fucking committee we should of let the BCS decide the top 4 teams

upyourwazzu420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty simple: probation.

You create situations where you might end up with the 3rd or 4th best team in a conference gets an automatic bid because other teams in the conference had been cheating. See: Wisconsin in 2012, and very nearly UCLA and Georgia Tech a few years back. I think both teams were 6-6 and played for their conference titles. Both did lose, but had they won, it would be a shame for them to go over a 1 loss (or even 4 loss) conference non-champion.

thats real funny coming from an sec fan... no one would put a six and six team in the mix neways... well unless it was alabama... the problem with SEC fans is they think that their conferene is the best...well it aint...

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea:

still waiting for OUR do-over

we split the season series...

Part of me before the nc game thought that if we beat yall the AP would award lsu its national championship regardless of outcome. Then we beat the shit outta LSU and that put an end to that argument. :laugh3:

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats real funny coming from an sec fan... no one would put a six and six team in the mix neways... well unless it was alabama... the problem with SEC fans is they think that their conferene is the best...well it aint...

lol, except that it is.

and the pac-12 has put 6-6 teams in their conference title game before. wake me up the next time a 6-6 SEC team is in the SEC title game.

like i said... anyone who favors a playoff where conference champions get automatic bids means they favor a system where 6 loss wisconsin would have been in the playoff last season.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me before the nc game thought that if we beat yall the AP would award lsu its national championship regardless of outcome. Then we beat the shit outta LSU and that put an end to that argument. :laugh3:

if it had been a close game, they definitely would have... and they definitely should have. LSU finished with a better record, a conference championship, and beat both the Pac-12 and Big East conference champions, nevermind that the 2 game series was split between a neutral site and alabama's home field.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please then, tell us who is if the SEC isnt. We will see if you have the ability to convince us without sounding like a conference homer for your conference.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it had been a close game, they definitely would have... and they definitely should have. LSU finished with a better record, a conference championship, and beat both the Pac-12 and Big East conference champions, nevermind that the 2 game series was split between a neutral site and alabama's home field.

Yea that lsu team would have deserved it they played one of the toughest schedules in history and almost went undefeated. They played like 9 ranked teams and blew them all out except bama

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty simple: probation.

You create situations where you might end up with the 3rd or 4th best team in a conference gets an automatic bid because other teams in the conference had been cheating. See: Wisconsin in 2012, and very nearly UCLA and Georgia Tech a few years back. I think both teams were 6-6 and played for their conference titles. Both did lose, but had they won, it would be a shame for them to go over a 1 loss (or even 4 loss) conference non-champion.

So do away with probation and let the teams play. Only fine them the potential winnings and spread it to the other schools in the conference.

If the season is the "playoffs", then the division winners and conference championships are the quarter-finals. Then you have semi-finals and the championship. It's stupid to let a team that didn't win their division SKIP the quarter-finals.