• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why all the talk of 2 SEC teams in the playoff but none on 2 Big 10 teams?

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Bama loses to LSU and LSU wins the SEC there’s no way Bama gets in over another 1 loss conference champ. If they do the whole thing is illegitimate. They would have had their chance. At that point we would already know Bama is not better than LSU but we don’t know if LSU is better than 1 loss conference champ Oregon or Oklahoma ON THE FIELD.

It wouldn't be decided on the field. It would be decided in a back room. Both LSU and Bama would have beaten
Auburn who had beaten Oregon. Say hello to the Rose Bowl, Oregon.

LSU handled Texas a great deal easier than Oklahoma.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be decided on the field. It would be decided in a back room. Both LSU and Bama would have beaten
Auburn who had beaten Oregon. Say hello to the Rose Bowl, Oregon.

LSU handled Texas a great deal easier than Oklahoma.

You are forgetting that the committee has publicly stated that conference championships matter. A 13th data point matters.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are forgetting that the committee has publicly stated that conference championships matter. A 13th data point matters.

I'm not forgetting that. Nor am I forgetting that when the other 3 leagues sided with the SEC
when they created the bylaws for the CFP...they all agreed on the 4 best teams. Not the 4 best
conf champs.

The Big 10 and Pac12 should have held out for their proposed 4 best conf champs/ND.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 13th data point matters.

2015 Oklahoma
2016 Ohio State
2017 Alabama
2018 ND

None played a 13th game. I think the committee important factor is don’t have 2 losses. In 2016 Non-conference champ Ohio State got in with 1 loss over a 2 loss champ that beat them on the field. In 2017 1 loss non Champ Alabama got in over 2 loss champ Ohio State

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see the early rankings as you can sometimes tell the committees intentions for the end of the season by where they rank teams early.

Its almost a guarantee that LSU and OSU will be 1 and 2. Personally i think Clemson being 5 is almost a lock as well ( sends the bad schedule is bad message and is really meaningless as Clemson is in if they win out anyway). PSU and Bama should be 3/4 in some order but where it gets interesting is 6-9. Florida, Georgia winner will almost assuredly be 6 but is Oregon ahead of Oklahoma? Does a 2 loss Auburn stay in the top 10? Does the committee rank Minnesota, Baylor or Utah that high? All those things play into Oregon/Oklahoma/PSU being able to add really quality potential victories to their schedules. Does the committee rank A&M at 6-3 as an attempt to justify where they rank Clemson and Bama? Etc etc

So, you think the committee is going to punish Clemson for scheduling the pre-season #12 team and a 9-4 team from last year and reward Penn State for scheduling Pitt...a team that hasn't finished better than 8-5 in a decade. Or are you, lol, making the argument that Idaho and Buffalo are vastly superior to Wofford and Charlotte.

I think the committee will view Clemson as what they are...a known commodity, Penn State has the track record of a pretender...Why reward a pretender that can still play their way in.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you think the committee is going to punish Clemson for scheduling the pre-season #12 team and a 9-4 team from last year and reward Penn State for scheduling Pitt...a team that hasn't finished better than 8-5 in a decade. Or are you, lol, making the argument that Idaho and Buffalo are vastly superior to Wofford and Charlotte.

I think the committee will view Clemson as what they are...a known commodity, Penn State has the track record of a pretender...Why reward a pretender that can still play their way in.
We shall see

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because they have a better resume from what they’ve done on the field thus far. You shouldn’t use what happened in the past and ignore what’s happening in the present.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they have a better resume from what they’ve done on the field thus far. You shouldn’t use what happened in the past and ignore what’s happening in the present.

Where is that in the criteria? Perhaps the committee, thinks, like many do, that there is no difference between say Iowa and Texas A&M....except one is ranked in the AP and one is not. Maybe Texas A&M is #20 in the CFP Poll and Iowa is unranked.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is that in the criteria? Perhaps the committee, thinks, like many do, that there is no difference between say Iowa and Texas A&M....except one is ranked in the AP and one is not. Maybe Texas A&M is #20 in the CFP Poll and Iowa is unranked.

So the committee just uses the eye test and nothing else?

An what would be the justification for A&M to be ranked ahead of Iowa? Or is this committee showing how bias it is?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the committee just uses the eye test and nothing else?

An what would be the justification for A&M to be ranked ahead of Iowa? Or is this committee showing how bias it is?

Nowhere did I say that...unlike you though, I didn't add criteria that aren't mentioned in their criteria.

What would be the justification to rank Iowa higher. Do you think Iowa would be 6-2 if Iowa played Alabama, Clemson and Auburn? Texas A&M has been shit upon for years for their out of conference schedule, now we are going to punish them for scheduling a home & home with Clemson. Y'all should make up your mind what you want teams to do. Why are we rewarding Iowa for Iowa State getting better...that is literally the only thing that has kept Iowa's OOC schedule from being the putrid pile of pus it is year after year.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nowhere did I say that...unlike you though, I didn't add criteria that aren't mentioned in their criteria.

What would be the justification to rank Iowa higher. Do you think Iowa would be 6-2 if Iowa played Alabama, Clemson and Auburn? Texas A&M has been shit upon for years for their out of conference schedule, now we are going to punish them for scheduling a home & home with Clemson. Y'all should make up your mind what you want teams to do. Why are we rewarding Iowa for Iowa State getting better...that is literally the only thing that has kept Iowa's OOC schedule from being the putrid pile of pus it is year after year.

Has the committee ever outlined the criteria and proven it. Or is it just using the facade “the best 4 teams”?

Because Iowa still has the best win. Because Iowa still has 1 less loss. Because A&M has shown no signs that they would be capable of beating Iowa State or Michigan on the road and PSU at home. You want to critique Iowa’s OOC schedule and say ISU saved it from being total shit. Clemson did the exact same thing for A&M. At least try and not be totally biased.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has the committee ever outlined the criteria and proven it. Or is it just using the facade “the best 4 teams”?

Because Iowa still has the best win. Because Iowa still has 1 less loss. Because A&M has shown no signs that they would be capable of beating Iowa State or Michigan on the road and PSU at home. You want to critique Iowa’s OOC schedule and say ISU saved it from being total shit. Clemson did the exact same thing for A&M. At least try and not be totally biased.

Except Clemson is 8-0 and Iowa State isn't...and I've seen nothing to suggest A&M would not be competitive with Iowa St. What exactly has Iowa State done that makes you think otherwise...beat Northern Iowa in 3OT, beat the mighty, lol, Moutaineers, If you dropped Iowa State, Iowa and Texas A&M into a bag and shook it, you wouldn't know one from another.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some may not like it.Althpugh “Popular opinion” may be unbeaten Clemson is a “lock” for the play offs. But Clemson’s schedule is paper thin. Clemson May be lucky to have a ranked win by time the regular season is over.

There’s unbeaten teams like Baylor and Minnesota that don’t get that leeway. While they would have much stronger wins under their belts if they ran the table....And quite a few potential one loss teams Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, LSU....That will have played a much more difficult schedule than Clemson.

If we are claiming undefeated seasons are the main criteria for a play off spot. Undefeated UCF the past two seasons played a schedule comparable to Clemson’s.....May not be popular opinion but this is college football not professional wrestling. Where a team is entitled to “defend a championship”.

Under this format two SEC or B1G teams or another one loss team has a serious case for that spot.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Clemson is 8-0 and Iowa State isn't...and I've seen nothing to suggest A&M would not be competitive with Iowa St. What exactly has Iowa State done that makes you think otherwise...beat Northern Iowa in 3OT, beat the mighty, lol, Moutaineers, If you dropped Iowa State, Iowa and Texas A&M into a bag and shook it, you wouldn't know one from another.

The same principle works, except Iowa had one less nonconference cupcake than A&M.

Where did I say A&M wouldn’t be competitive? I said they have shown no signs they’d win, on the road in Ames. Iowa State and Iowa clearly have better wins than A&M and one of their loses A&M was actually favored. What is it with you that’s makes you think A&M is better? Was it their 4 point win over the worst team in the SEC or 7 point thrashing of the third worse team in the SEC?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same principle works, except Iowa had one less nonconference cupcake than A&M.

Where did I say A&M wouldn’t be competitive? I said they have shown no signs they’d win, on the road in Ames. Iowa State and Iowa clearly have better wins than A&M and one of their loses A&M was actually favored. What is it with you that’s makes you think A&M is better? Was it their 4 point win over the worst team in the SEC or 7 point thrashing of the third worse team in the SEC?

Today I learned that "showing no signs they'd win" is the same as being "competitive" .... OK, then.

I also learned that Miami(OH) whose last winning season was a decade ago is not a cupcake. Somebody should tell them, if they knew they were supposed to be better maybe they wouldn't have let Ohio State drop 76 on them.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 Oklahoma
2016 Ohio State
2017 Alabama
2018 ND

None played a 13th game. I think the committee important factor is don’t have 2 losses. In 2016 Non-conference champ Ohio State got in with 1 loss over a 2 loss champ that beat them on the field. In 2017 1 loss non Champ Alabama got in over 2 loss champ Ohio State

Of course. No one is saying a 2 loss conference champ is getting in over a 1 loss sec non champion. What is being said is that a 1 loss bigxii or pac champ will be in over a 1loss sec non champion.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today I learned that "showing no signs they'd win" is the same as being "competitive" .... OK, then.

I also learned that Miami(OH) whose last winning season was a decade ago is not a cupcake. Somebody should tell them, if they knew they were supposed to be better maybe they wouldn't have let Ohio State drop 76 on them.

1) you can still be competitive and not win

2) your comprehension is absolutely absurd, maybe try rereading and not being a total jackass? Because you’ll definitely need to point out where I gave an inkling of a thought Miami (OH) isn’t a cupcake.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its entirely likely Iowa and A&M are both ranked next week . The difference is A&M is Bamas and Clemsons best win by far. Iowa is Penn States second best win

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) you can still be competitive and not win

2) your comprehension is absolutely absurd, maybe try rereading and not being a total jackass? Because you’ll definitely need to point out where I gave an inkling of a thought Miami (OH) isn’t a cupcake.

If you are competitive, it kind of implies you have a chance to win...otherwise you are not competitive.

So if they've each only played 3 OOC games and Iowa has played Iowa St, Miami(OH) and Middle Tennessee...that either means you think Middle Tennessee is not a cupcake or Clemson is?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its entirely likely Iowa and A&M are both ranked next week . The difference is A&M is Bamas and Clemsons best win by far. Iowa is Penn States second best win

Penn State hasn't won a National Title since I was in High School....Alabama and Clemson have split the last four. I think that trumps a win over another team that hasn't won a title in more than 20 years. I don't see where Michigan is any better than they were last year, a team that finished the year getting boat raced by Ohio State and a Florida team that had 3 SEC losses and I'll believe Penn State is a playoff contender when they are...sometime around Nov 23rd...or not.