• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why all the talk of 2 SEC teams in the playoff but none on 2 Big 10 teams?

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some may not like it.Althpugh “Popular opinion” may be unbeaten Clemson is a “lock” for the play offs. But Clemson’s schedule is 54th. Clemson May be lucky to have a ranked win by time the regular season is over.

There’s unbeaten teams like Baylor(SOS 73rd) and Minnesota(SOS 75th) that don’t get that leeway. While they would have much stronger wins under their belts if they ran the table....And quite a few potential one loss teams Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, LSU....That will have played a much more difficult schedule than Clemson.

If we are claiming undefeated seasons are the main criteria for a play off spot. Undefeated UCF the past two seasons played a schedule comparable to Clemson’s.....May not be popular opinion but this is college football not professional wrestling. Where a team is entitled to “defend a championship”.

Under this format two SEC or B1G teams or another one loss team has a serious case for that spot.

Your best example is an non P5 team with a SOS over 100 the past couple of regular seasons :clap:. We already saw Clemson and ND get in over 1-loss OU and OSU last year

The ACC has gotten a team in the playoffs the last 5 years, now all of a sudden an undefeated team is not making it in? :spit::pound::rofl:

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its entirely likely Iowa and A&M are both ranked next week . The difference is A&M is Bamas and Clemsons best win by far. Iowa is Penn States second best win
Let's not forget the question isn't who has the better resume, it is who is the better team or the "Best 4 Teams". And you are saying you would take Penn St. in a H2H matchup over Alabama and Clemson?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget the question isn't who has the better resume, it is who is the better team or the "Best 4 Teams". And you are saying you would take Penn St. in a H2H matchup over Alabama and Clemson?
No im saying Penn St will be ranked higher than Clemson in the initial rankings and likely higher than Bama although im less sure on the latter . Early committee rankings almost always favor resume over eye test

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your best example is an non P5 team with a SOS over 100 the past couple of regular seasons :clap:. We already saw Clemson and ND get in over 1-loss OU and OSU last year

The ACC has gotten a team in the playoffs the last 5 years, now all of a sudden an undefeated team is not making it in? :spit::pound::rofl:
You may want to read.....

Or you may just want to redirect the attention away from how weak Clemson’s schedule is. In comparison to the teams listed. Can’t say I would blame you.....

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may want to read.....

Or you may just want to redirect the attention away from how weak Clemson’s schedule is. In comparison to the teams listed. Can’t say I would blame you.....
Clemson's SOS is better than half the teams you mention :noidea:

Clemson's schedule been weak the last 4 years. Didn't make a difference before and not sure how this year is any different

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clemson's schedule been weak the last 4 years. Didn't make a difference before and not sure how this year is any different
Disagree Clemson played Auburn in 2017. This year the ACC is a mess. This year Clemson will be lucky to have any of their opponents ranked end of season. The teams listed will have a much better resume even at 1 loss. I don’t see any marquee games on Clemson’s schedule.....

Aside from maybe Wofford

You may not like it but this season there’s very good reason to take two SEC or B1G teams. Including a 1 loss team over Clemson. Honestly a one loss Oregon has a stronger resume.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clemson’s 2015 schedule was not close to
“weak”, and in general is a function of the ACC. They play 2 P5s OOC each season. The ACC has been down the past 2 seasons, though. That certainly impacts their SOS.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are competitive, it kind of implies you have a chance to win...otherwise you are not competitive.

So if they've each only played 3 OOC games and Iowa has played Iowa St, Miami(OH) and Middle Tennessee...that either means you think Middle Tennessee is not a cupcake or Clemson is?

They dont just play 3 OOC games. A&M plays 4. You know exactly what I was getting out. I figured they both played their allotment. I forgot the SEC strategically does that. But I stated they both played all cupcakes except one and Iowa state kept Iowa’s OOC schedule from being absolute shit. Clemson kept A&Ms schedule from being absolute shit.

Ethier way you are detracting from the point. PSU absolutely deserves to be ranked higher than Alabama or Clemson at the moment. Their resume is BETTER right now. Screw what happened last year.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They dont just play 3 OOC games. A&M plays 4. You know exactly what I was getting out. I figured they both played their allotment. I forgot the SEC strategically does that. But I stated they both played all cupcakes except one and Iowa state kept Iowa’s OOC schedule from being absolute shit. Clemson kept A&Ms schedule from being absolute shit.

Ethier way you are detracting from the point. PSU absolutely deserves to be ranked higher than Alabama or Clemson at the moment. Their resume is BETTER right now. Screw what happened last year.

Oh, I thought you said we were only counting shit on their resume, not shit they haven't done yet.

He who deals in absolutes is often disappointed.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I thought you said we were only counting shit on their resume, not shit they haven't done yet.

He who deals in absolutes is often disappointed.

You know exactly what I meant. The point still stands even if one part of the language was premature.

The eyes see what only the mind is prepared to comprehend.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do folks endlessly over complicate things? The question is simple, 'Who's the best 4 teams?' Everything else is fluff and conversation filler.

If Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama or LSU played Penn State Saturday, I'd pick against Penn State in each one of those matchups. I'd guess most of us would. Once that is established everything from SOS to number of losses or 'who deserves it' is moot.