• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who would be a good fit for Fields?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington asked for a 2nd for Brissett. Just to give a recent barometer

The Browns got little for Baker because the deal was made already for Deshaun
What the Skins asked for doesn't matter. What they actually got or didn't get is what matters. Not only did they not get a 2nd, they didn't a 3rd either. They didn't move Brissett and that tells you that their asking price did not fit the market. If the Bears insist on a 2nd rounder for Fields, he'll be Caleb Williams's backup at some point in 2024 b/c I'd be stunned if an NFL GM gives up a 2nd rounder for Fields.

Last edited:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears were smart,which they really are not,best fit for Fields.......is Chicago.

I doubt if JF would be willing to do this,but why not make him into another Taysom Hill......
He can run,we all know he can throw the short pass.....he would be a lethal weapon imo......

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt if JF would be willing to do this,but why not make him into another Taysom Hill......
He can run,we all know he can throw the short pass.....he would be a lethal weapon imo......
does it pay like QB?

Sean Payton made & paid Hill.
most likely out of football real soon.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does it pay like QB?

Sean Payton made & paid Hill.
most likely out of football real soon.

I have no idea what TH gets paid,but JF has another year on his rookie contract....

My dumb team most likely has never thought if it.....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're overvaluing Fields. I think you are going to be sorely disappointed if you expect to get a 2nd for him. Barring some freak injury out there in PS (it has happened), I think the Bears will be thrilled if they get a 3rd. And personally, I think they'll get less than a 3rd (give something back or some conditional 3rd, etc.).
Not overvaluing him for a team in need of a starting QB. I'll take my chances on being sorely disappointed if/when such a trade even takes place.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the Skins asked for doesn't matter. What they actually got or didn't get is what matters. Not only did they not get a 2nd, they didn't a 3rd either. They didn't move Brissett and that tells you that their asking price did not fit the market. If the Bears insist on a 2nd rounder for Fields, he'll be Caleb Williams's backup at some point in 2024 b/c I'd be stunned if an NFL GM gives up a 2nd rounder for Fields.

You have scores of former NFL players stumping for Fields so I'm gonna go ahead and take their opinions over the board temperament.

He will start more than 10 games next year save for injury or he will be the heir apparent in LA or the Jets.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold looked like a below average starter most of the time. The issue was that he would frequently do something inexplicably bad. He'd completely misread a situation and throw to a defender marking space or he'd stand there frozen and eventually concede a sack fumble. Fields on the other hand is a pure athlete with accuracy problems. Even when he hits targets the ball placement is poor and this kills the opportunity for yards after the catch. Darnold will have 4 INT games and 0 turnover games. You can win the 0 turnover games with Darnold, maybe a streak of games, but overall you'll have a losing season. It's hard to win even the 0 turnover games with Fields.

It's hard to see any team signing Fields to a Jordan Love type of contract. Any team acquiring Fields knows it's a back-up salary 1 year rental with FA market forces to follow. The upside to Fields is that he could potentially play like a $10M QB on a $3M contract, (a lesser Geno Smith), but even that doesn't really get you anywhere. I don't see Fields being more than an after thought after 2024.

His accuracy is fine. He literally throws one of the best balls in the league on deep throws.

His reads are the issue. Holding the ball is the issue.

"According to Pro Football Focus tracking, he entered last week's game with a ridiculous 135.4 passer rating on throws of 20-plus yards. Then he hit DJ Moore on the deep TD pass of 39 yards"

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have scores of former NFL players stumping for Fields so I'm gonna go ahead and take their opinions over the board temperament.

He will start more than 10 games next year save for injury or he will be the heir apparent in LA or the Jets.
I don't think he ends up in LAR at all. Imo, no matter where he ends up as a backup next year, he'll be more of an athletic gamble than an heir apparent.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he ends up in LAR at all. Imo, no matter where he ends up as a backup next year, he'll be more of an athletic gamble than an heir apparent.

I get being critical but on what planet is he a gamble as a backup?

The only rub I see is people clamoring for him to start if the starter struggles at all.

The man is sitting at 2 consecutive 70 plus PFF rated seasons now. You have guys who break down film weekly for a living saying he's not the issue.

This is the thing that is so perplexing to me in regards to him. I can't remember a more drastically different take on a player ever.

Chase Daniel made a living as a backup. Dude spent 20 minutes yesterday defending Justin. If he's so incredibly broken someone who played the position in the NFL for 13 years should be smashing him all day long.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Trey Lance has soared you on young mobile QBs who need development.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would MUCH rather have Fields as the Hawks starter than Geno, and I'd wager we'd have a better record (certainly not a worse record) if we did.
Geno is not good, but that's not smart.

Go into a Bears' thread some time... and then get back.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His accuracy is fine. He literally throws one of the best balls in the league on deep throws.

His reads are the issue. Holding the ball is the issue.

"According to Pro Football Focus tracking, he entered last week's game with a ridiculous 135.4 passer rating on throws of 20-plus yards. Then he hit DJ Moore on the deep TD pass of 39 yards"
You are correct about the reads and holding the ball.

Almost every NFL QB is going to hit a proportion of deep sideline, seem, or out patterns. They have a safety margin if they miss with an overthrow. Even the poor QBs aren't completely useless. How often is Fields throwing to crossing routes when it's a pick if he throws high or throws behind the receiver? Is he throwing receivers open or throwing to open receivers? Could he run the Dolphins offense? Bridgewater and Thompson struggled with it last year. How about the Rams? Every Rams back-up QB has struggled.

The 1st 5 minutes of the Chase Daniel clip defends him for NOT making those throws and commends him for scrambling until a receiver could sit down in a hole. I don't believe you can win doing that. Too many sacks and not enough yards after completions. Every pass in the 1st 10 minutes is late. Daniel's analysis is awful. I can see why he's not coaching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFCwGuqEnVI

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct about the reads and holding the ball.

Almost every NFL QB is going to hit a proportion of deep sideline, seem, or out patterns. They have a safety margin if they miss with an overthrow. Even the poor QBs aren't completely useless. How often is Fields throwing to crossing routes when it's a pick if he throws high or throws behind the receiver? Is he throwing receivers open or throwing to open receivers? Could he run the Dolphins offense? Bridgewater and Thompson struggled with it last year. How about the Rams? Every Rams back-up QB has struggled.

The 1st 5 minutes of the Chase Daniel clip defends him for NOT making those throws and commends him for scrambling until a receiver could sit down in a hole. I don't believe you can win doing that. Too many sacks and not enough yards after completions. Every pass in the 1st 10 minutes is late. Daniel's analysis is awful. I can see why he's not coaching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFCwGuqEnVI

You're welcome to disagree. Obviously I feel time will prove you wrong....at least initially. And so do many others. It's not just Daniel scoring his games this way. He has 73 pff for a reason . Yes a lot is his legs...but that's the point right? We aren't evaluating his throwing in a bubble. It's the entire package.

"A proportion"? A 135.4 rating is not a proportion.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, he just threw another WR screen...

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Trey Lance has soared you on young mobile QBs who need development.

And the flags were all there for Lance. Fields faced players that were going to be playing on Sundays in college. Lance didnt.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons do seem like a good fit, but @rmilia1 may suffer a heart attack if that happens. :rolleyes:
If he's cheap sure

He's basically Ridder passing wise right now with better legs

If you can get him for a 3 or 4 im fine with it

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised that no one has thrown the Seahawks name into the thick of things here as a good fit for the Hawks... Since Carroll has been here in Seattle, all our starting QB's have been black once Hasselback was replaced... T. Jackson; Russell Wilson; Geno Smith... ;)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised that no one has thrown the Seahawks name into the thick of things here as a good fit for the Hawks... Since Carroll has been here in Seattle, all our starting QB's have been black once Hasselback was replaced... T. Jackson; Russell Wilson; Geno Smith... ;)
:susp: