• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who would be a good fit for Fields?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bears will move on, but it’s not like Fields is trash. He’s gotten better as a passer, a new staff might help his decision-making, and with a change in culture he could be a winner.

For the Bears, first you want to look at the AFC, but all I see there is the Raiders and Patriots (two bad ideas - one staff too green and the other too crusty) and a desperation play by the Jets if Rodgers doesn’t come back.

The better fits are in the NFC - the Bucs, Giants, Washington and Rams (if Stafford hangs it up) wouldn’t be crazy, but the best fit IMO is Atlanta. It’s a conservative run-centric offense that’s doing okay with a poor QB right now. I think Fields could thrive there and that team would be much better with him on it. They also have no shot in the short term at having a bad enough record to draft a franchise QB, and trading away pieces to move up in the draft doesn't make a lot of sense for them.

Vikings also wouldn't be crazy, but no way Chicago sends him there.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bears will move on, but it’s not like Fields is trash. He’s gotten better as a passer, a new staff might help his decision-making, and with a change in culture he could be a winner.

For the Bears, first you want to look at the AFC, but all I see there is the Raiders and Patriots (two bad ideas - one staff too green and the other too crusty) and a desperation play by the Jets if Rodgers doesn’t come back.

The better fits are in the NFC - the Bucs, Giants, Washington and Rams (if Stafford hangs it up) wouldn’t be crazy, but the best fit IMO is Atlanta. It’s a conservative run-centric offense that’s doing okay with a poor QB right now. I think Fields could thrive there and that team would be much better with him on it. They also have no shot in the short term at having a bad enough record to draft a franchise QB, and trading away pieces to move up in the draft doesn't make a lot of sense for them.

to me. the only ones with a secure enough staff would be the rams, but I dont think he would fit McVay profile for his offense.
Send him to the Jets where QBs go to die. Let him possibly learn a thing or two from Rodger's before he rides off into the sunset.
Then if he fails there. He becomes the journeyman back up.
If you are gonna have a career back up on the team you want that guy to be mobile. Fields definitely has that trait down.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this as a starter only?

If so the Falcons do make sense. Smith loves to keep it on the ground. And there are plenty of talented pieces already in place. Plus he’d be playing minutes from
home.

TN could also make sense. Especially if the Bears had interest in Levis or Willis as a backup.

A lot of clutter right now when it comes to who is going to draft high enough to grab a rookie who will start right away. Chicago, NE and Arizona are the only ones I could feel confident about being in that position.

AZ will be interesting to see what they do. Two firsts and idk what the future holds for Murray.

Fields in Baltimore as a backup is something that makes sense to me. Philly also.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the Steelers won't be in a position to draft a replacement for Tiny Hands since they seem to be winning despite him, maybe they could move on Fields for some competition.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta is maybe the only place he actually could still be a starter, imo. Rams no. I don't think he'd be a good fit with McVay. Tenn will stick with Levis for at least a full season to see how he progresses. Other than that, he's no more than a back-up somewhere. Williams, Maye, Penix, Bo Nix, lots of QBs in the draft that will get picked so a lot of teams not interested in trying to see if they can figure out Fields.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on what we can get for fields. If we can get a halfway decent pick (like a third or fourth rounder) I’d go for it. However, in this draft, I would probably try to end up with Marvin Harrison Jr and a LT. If we can get the best at those two position, I wouldn’t mind rolling with fields another year. If both of those positions pan out, the bears offense could be very good. If we can find a better QB in round 2, maybe we go for it. I don’t really like either of the top two ranked QBs in this draft.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hope it's the Giants or Redskins then. Bumbling fumbling quarterbacks are good to play against.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this as a starter only?

If so the Falcons do make sense. Smith loves to keep it on the ground. And there are plenty of talented pieces already in place. Plus he’d be playing minutes from
home.

TN could also make sense. Especially if the Bears had interest in Levis or Willis as a backup.

A lot of clutter right now when it comes to who is going to draft high enough to grab a rookie who will start right away. Chicago, NE and Arizona are the only ones I could feel confident about being in that position.

AZ will be interesting to see what they do. Two firsts and idk what the future holds for Murray.

Fields in Baltimore as a backup is something that makes sense to me. Philly also.
The Patriots are trading out of the 1st round let's face that.. Bill (if he is still there) won't make a pick. You know he will trade out of r6 7th round picks and a 2028 3rd round pick

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Sky Flirt GIF by ABC Network

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stafford isnt going anywhere.

He can get a guaranteed check from the Rams to the tune of $40M next year. Or he can cut them a check for $36M to retire (signing bonus clawback).

Stafford has made a lot of money in his career.....but a $75M swing is a big deal to anyone's bank account.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta is maybe the only place he actually could still be a starter, imo. Rams no. I don't think he'd be a good fit with McVay. Tenn will stick with Levis for at least a full season to see how he progresses. Other than that, he's no more than a back-up somewhere. Williams, Maye, Penix, Bo Nix, lots of QBs in the draft that will get picked so a lot of teams not interested in trying to see if they can figure out Fields.

The Jets just started Tim Boyle and you think Fields can't be a starter anywhere else lol

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets just started Tim Boyle and you think Fields can't be a starter anywhere else lol

Yeah but he is starting only because of injuries. You cant predict where that is going to happen.

You play the game of musical chair QB's this coming season just with the starting spots with almost no one leaving their chair (Garoppolo in Vegas and that is literally it) and then adding guys like Mayes and Williams to the game and when the music stops Fields ends up a backup quite a few times.

What will play into it is what a guy likes Baker Mayfield makes on the open market this offseason. If him and Minshew make around that same $4M they made this last season, it seems obvious that at least one of them will pencil in somewhere again to hold a spot for a developing rookie like Penix Jr or Shedeur Sanders. And add Sam Darnold as another name that I bet some team gives another chance this coming offseason.

It really is a battle of the re-tread QB's. You know for a fact that the chances of them developing into a true starting level guy you are willing to sign to $40M annual contract is SLIM.

So knowing that would you rather have a more traditional QB....or do you want to bring one in that you have to design an offense all around and limit what you can actually do within your own system? Its because of that that Fields loses out more often than not.

The one place I could see taking a swing on Fields would be Atlanta. Likely wont be drafting a QB in the first. Likely will be keeping their head coach so he is going to be desperate for wins. And likely needs a new starting QB. But they also have a tight connection to Tannehill too.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would be a good fit on the Falcons.

If AOC doesn't prove to be a legit starter I wouldn't mind the Raiders trading for him. As long as the Bears aren't asking for a lot in return. He would have a lot of offensive talent to work with.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more thing.

You can take the Giants and Washington out of the conversation for new QB's. For better or worst the Gmen are committed to Jones. And Howell in WA is almost assured of getting one more year as he hasnt looked completely awful.

Teams that might change QB:
Bears
Falcons
Vikings
Bucs
Raiders
Pats
(missing any???)

And we have Maye and Williams taking two of those spots. Cousins taking one other. That leaves only 3 spots. A couple of those teams will take guys like Penix, Nix and Sanders and be looking for a place holder.

Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Justin Fields
Ryan Tannehill
Gardner Minshew
Josh Dobbs

It really is just a numbers game. And when you factor in that Fields will cost you a draft pick (even if it is only a 5th rounder) and that you cant run a traditional offense with him will certainly play into whether he gets a spot or not.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more thing.

You can take the Giants and Washington out of the conversation for new QB's. For better or worst the Gmen are committed to Jones. And Howell in WA is almost assured of getting one more year as he hasnt looked completely awful.

Teams that might change QB:
Bears
Falcons
Vikings
Bucs
Raiders
Pats
(missing any???)

And we have Maye and Williams taking two of those spots. Cousins taking one other. That leaves only 3 spots. A couple of those teams will take guys like Penix, Nix and Sanders and be looking for a place holder.

Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Justin Fields
Ryan Tannehill
Gardner Minshew
Josh Dobbs

It really is just a numbers game. And when you factor in that Fields will cost you a draft pick (even if it is only a 5th rounder) and that you cant run a traditional offense with him will certainly play into whether he gets a spot or not.

As I've said previously you look at spots like the Rams or Jets also where they have their guy for a year and both are older and thus injury prone.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Falcons would be my choice as well. Not sure if Atlanta will be in position to get one of the top 4-5 QBs in this draft (although it's very early to project), with the Bears, Giants, Patriots, Raiders, and Saints (Broncos?) all ahead of them.

What do we think the cost would be? Does he still bring big draft capital back to Chicago?