• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who wins NL MVP??

Who will win the NL MVP

• Andrew McCutchen

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Paul Goldsmidt

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Tastier Molina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joey Votto(sympathy vote)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's MVP, not player with the best teammates. :lol:

Trout shouldn't win MVP because... the Angels had a 4.24 ERA, 11th in the AL (89 ERA+). :rollseyes:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should add a poll to this or make a thread with a poll.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added a poll as requested. Unfortunately I did it on my phone and yadier got auto corrected to tastier. Kind of funny but very annoying.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think kershaw was the mvp in the national league.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think kershaw was the mvp in the national league.

No chance does he deserve the MVP!!! The dodgers were 19-14 in games that he pithced... and he only had 16 wins... 16 wins is just not enough for a pitcher to win an award that is generally given to offensive players...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to go by the old "remove from the team and see how they do" standpoint...well, the Pirates would've crumpled without Cutch. Being fair, all those teams would've been in much worse shape. Still, even in this flood of stats, my biased opinion says Cutch. The only advantage Goldschmidt has on Cutch is power. Molina probably would've run away with this if he hadn't gotten injured in August for a bit.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we will find out in 10 minutes, Goldschmidt certainly has the numbers, but I dont think its going to be real close.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutch got 28/30 first place votes, Molina got the other 2.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to say that suggesting McCutchen only got the award over Goldschmidt because the Pirates made the playoffs and/or because the Pirates were this year's "media darlings" really cheapens what McCutchen accomplished this season as an all-around baseball player. The fact of the matter is that McCutchen hit almost as well as Goldschmidt in a very pitcher-friendly ballpark (by park factors), while also contributing a great deal more on the bases and in the field (gold glove for Goldy or no, McCutchen was excellent at a much more demanding defensive position). He deserved the award simply because of the season he had, not for any other reason.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CF with .317/.401/.508, 158 OPS+, good defense and good baserunning
1B with .302/.401/.551, 160 OPS+, good defense and OK baserunning

Average NL CF in 2013: .260/.329/.393, 106 tOPS+
Average NL 1B in 2013: .264/.342/.427, 119 tOPS+

Yea, I'll take Cutch.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think a replacement player is, exactly?

I know this wasn't directed at me. But... Im going to pretend it was. I have no idea what a replacement player is, means, or does. I dont know where they hit in the order, how long they were in the minors or where they grewup. I don't get it. I don't understand it. I have no idea where it comes from or how it's quantified. There are replacement players for players who haven't missed games in years. There are replacement players for utility players whom I consider replacement players. That makes no sense to me. It hurts my old fuddy duddy brain. Im not asking for an explanation. Im just aimlessly throwing my ignorance on the issue out there. Tbh, I don't want to understand. What I want is to slap a + next to WAR so I can stick to my morals and completely dismiss it. Congratulations to McCutchen, helluva player.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this wasn't directed at me. But... Im going to pretend it was. I have no idea what a replacement player is, means, or does. I dont know where they hit in the order, how long they were in the minors or where they grewup. I don't get it. I don't understand it. I have no idea where it comes from or how it's quantified. There are replacement players for players who haven't missed games in years. There are replacement players for utility players whom I consider replacement players. That makes no sense to me. It hurts my old fuddy duddy brain. Im not asking for an explanation. Im just aimlessly throwing my ignorance on the issue out there. Tbh, I don't want to understand. What I want is to slap a + next to WAR so I can stick to my morals and completely dismiss it. Congratulations to McCutchen, helluva player.

The way I understand it, it's a construct used to represent some baseline performance every year. A team of replacement players would win something like 47 games, I think, in some recent year.

It's used to compare players across the league because it's relative to some baseline which is consistent for the whole league. Basically, it provides a value, in wins, which a player adds to his team over what could be considered a typical replacement player, thus eliminating the strength of a team's bench from that evaluation.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to say that suggesting McCutchen only got the award over Goldschmidt because the Pirates made the playoffs and/or because the Pirates were this year's "media darlings" really cheapens what McCutchen accomplished this season as an all-around baseball player. The fact of the matter is that McCutchen hit almost as well as Goldschmidt in a very pitcher-friendly ballpark (by park factors), while also contributing a great deal more on the bases and in the field (gold glove for Goldy or no, McCutchen was excellent at a much more demanding defensive position). He deserved the award simply because of the season he had, not for any other reason.

Nobody is saying that mcCutchen doesnt or didnt deserve it... When 2 players are very close then the small things matter... the fact he made the playoffs is a stat just like the others and should be a factor... "team" stats are also very important and to dismiss them is just flat out wrong...

Congrats to McCutchen, he deserved it!!!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is saying that mcCutchen doesnt or didnt deserve it... When 2 players are very close then the small things matter... the fact he made the playoffs is a stat just like the others and should be a factor... "team" stats are also very important and to dismiss them is just flat out wrong...

Congrats to McCutchen, he deserved it!!!

Not really you this is directed at I assume. The guys on the online MLB feed were visibly disappointed...to the point it was really annoying actually. *rabble rabble* "But his team won *sigh*" *rabble rabble*