• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 MVP will be

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 was a very interesting year. Typically the MVP goes to the best player on the best team, but the video game numbers from Harden and Westbrook coupled with the pairing of KD and Steph made them impossible to deny. With star players arriving in both Houston and OKC, however, I think 2018 plays out much differently.

Here are my favorites, the percentage chance I give each player to win and what they need to happen to get there.

1: Kevin Durant- 35%: he wasn't going to win last year, no matter what. Now, he has firmly established himself as the Warriors' best player and greatly improved his defense. For KD to win, he needs to repeat last year's stats, play at least 70 games and the Warriors must again flirt with 70 wins.

2: Kawhi Leonard- 30%: Kawhi needs to continue to do Kawhi things and lead the Spurs to a 2 or 3 seed in the West, while hoping Curry plays well enough to cast some doubt on who the Warrior's MVP really is.

3: LeBron James- 25%: LeBron is still the best, but the gap is as narrow as it has ever Been. Cleveland's normal regular season malaise has prevented him from being a serious MVP candidate the last couple years, but the Kyrie drama might actually help him on this front. Cleveland is considered to be in such a bad spot currently that if LeBron can lead them to 57+ wins and a number 1 seed with his usual numbers, the trophy could return to The Land.

4: Russell Westbrook- 5%: for a player to win back to back MVPs, he generally has to produce on at least the same level that he did the prior year. Westbrook' numbers are going to decline with the addition of Paul George. If he is able to post 25-7-10 while leading the Thunder to 55+ wins though, he will be in the conversation.

5: Steph Curry- 2%: Steph won't be a realistic candidate unless he somehow comes close to his numbers from 2016. That isn't likely unless KD misses a significant number of games.

6: James Harden- 1%: his numbers are going to fall with CP3 in town. I don't see him doing enough. For him to have any chance, he needs to contend for the scoring title and the Rockets need to finish 2nd in the West.

7: John Wall- 1%: outside of Leonard and James, nobody is more important to their team's success. If the Wizards have a magical season, win 55 + and finish first in the East, Wall just might find himself in the top 3. This is a regular season award after all.

Rest of the Field- 1%: Giannis, KAT, Jimmy Butler, Isaiah Thomas, Nikola Jokic and Blake Griffin are others I could see putting themselves in the discussion.

Clearly I think 1 of the big 3 wins this year. What do you all think? Discuss.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say KD

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go outside the box.

Chris Paul.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go outside the box.

Chris Paul.

I think there might be too much drama in Houston this year for CP3 or Harden to get an MVP.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there might be too much drama in Houston this year for CP3 or Harden to get an MVP.

I think they will get along fine, but superstar pairings almost never yield immediate results in terms of MVP caliber numbers.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's Kawhi's time or Westbrook will repeat.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to see a surprise next season.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

Way to go off on a limb and narrowing it down lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kawhi. I would say Lebron but it kinda depends when or if Kyrie get traded

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JaVale McGee

Just kidding....Swaggy P

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring changes to rosters I would say that I would pick Kawhi. The Warriors are going to run rough shod over the league again but they have so many all stars it is hard for one player to rise up. Westbrook will now split duty with PG. And the Cavs have all the makings of a basket case that I believe will once again coast to about 50 wins.
All of that may change depending on what the Cavs do with Kyrie though.

I would add that the dark horse is if one of the young up and coming teams(Bucks, Sixers, Twolves) really steps it up I could see an outside of Embiid, Giannis, or KAT/Butler getting significant consideration.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring changes to rosters I would say that I would pick Kawhi. The Warriors are going to run rough shod over the league again but they have so many all stars it is hard for one player to rise up. Westbrook will now split duty with PG. And the Cavs have all the makings of a basket case that I believe will once again coast to about 50 wins.
All of that may change depending on what the Cavs do with Kyrie though.

I would add that the dark horse is if one of the young up and coming teams(Bucks, Sixers, Twolves) really steps it up I could see an outside of Embiid, Giannis, or KAT/Butler getting significant consideration.

As great as he is, I would not be surprised if Kawhi finishes top 3 in the MVP race for the next 5 years without ever actually winning one. His personality is so quiet and unassuming I think that counts against him when pitted against players who get significantly more attention.

He is deserving though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As great as he is, I would not be surprised if Kawhi finishes top 3 in the MVP race for the next 5 years without ever actually winning one. His personality is so quiet and unassuming I think that counts against him when pitted against players who get significantly more attention.

He is deserving though.

I think this could be the best chance for him because he will be the unquestioned start of his team whereas all of the other notable contenders will be splitting duties with other all-nba equivalent players

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is deserving though.

It's weird with that franchise, to go from Duncan, the quietest, most selfless superstar ever, to Kawhi who looks to be exactly the same type of guy. I believe both were 4 year in college players too, and both went to schools that aren't exactly powerhouses.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo Ball will be the MVP. I'm gonna speak it into existence. - Lavar