• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MVP 2019

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MVP has become more than just the best player on the best team in recent years. A player needs 2 things in order to have a legitimate chance to win it. They need to post a nasty stat line on a winning team, and they need to have a compelling narrative.

2 years ago, Westbrook won because he was the first player in over 40 years to average a triple double. Last year, he repeated the same feat, his team won 1 more game, yet he finished a distant 5th because his narrative just wasn't as strong and his team struggled with consistency. That, and it was Harden's turn to win.

Without further ado, let's look at the top candidates for 2019:

1) Anthony Davis: 35%- Davis has the narrative on his side. He is the best player never to have won MVP and most pundits are expecting the Pelicans to be 8-10 out West. If Davis is able to stay healthy, post his usual absurd stat lines and lead the Pelicans to 50+ wins, he is your likely MVP.

2) LeBron James: 30%- LeBron finally has a compelling narrative again! If he is able to lead his current cast of misfits to a top 4 seed in the West with another dominant statistical season, I think only AD has the firepower to top him.

3) James Harden: 10%- It is really hard to repeat as MVP. For Harden to have a chance, both his stat line and the Rockets' win total need to be really close to where they were last year. I don't think that is super likely.

4) Russell Westbrook: 7.5%- This one is more about the Thunder than it is about Russ. Yes, he will need to get close to another triple double season because that is where he has set the bar, but more importantly the Thunder need to separate from the pack and clearly establish themselves as a top 3 team in the West.

5) Kevin Durant: 7.5%- KD is going to need some help from some of the folks mentioned above. He will also need the Warriors to flirt with the regular season wins record without a significant contribution from Cousins.

6) Kawhi Leonard: 5%- Kawhi will need to play at 2017 levels, but he will also need to lead the Raptors to the best record in the East and demonstrate they are substantially better with him than they were with DeRozan.

7) Giannis Antetokounmpo: 4%- I don't think the Bucks will be good enough, but his upside is unlimited. He has to be on the list in case he breaks out this season.

8) Kyrie Irving: 0.02% I wanted to list him because I have seen people talk about Kyrie as an MVP candidate. He is likely to finish top 5 ahead of some listed here. But, his stats are not going to be on the same level and the Celtics are probably a 60 win team without him. Kyrie may get close, but he will not win it.

Dark Horse candidates: < 1%- Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, Steph Curry, Victor Oladipo, Donovan Mitchell, Karl Anthony Towns, Nikola Jokic

Let me know if you think I missed somebody!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give Giannis and Joel Embiid much higher chances and drop down James and Harden.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give Giannis and Joel Embiid much higher chances and drop down James and Harden.

I think Embiid and Simmons will cancel each other out.

Of course, I also thought that about Harden last year. 1 would have to emerge as the dominant catalyst though (probably Embiid) and the 6ers would have to win a lot of games.

As for Giannis, you might be right. I just can't see the Bucks being better than a 4 seed, and they will need to be for Giannis to be a realistic contender. That is why I have him so low.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I think you are really underestimating the power of the James to LA narrative. If the Lakers are good, he will be top 2 again for sure.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo and LiAngelo Ball will be co-MVP's after the Lakers realize their mistake and sign Gelo. - Lavar

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think you are really underestimating the power of the James to LA narrative. If the Lakers are good, he will be top 2 again for sure.

Maybe. But I would say that the Lakers would need to wind up being a top 3 team for James to be considered a legit MVP contender.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. I think we all agree to some extent that Lebron could/maybe should, win the MVP every season. The reason he hasn't has been blamed a lot on "Lebron fatigue" (all of that social media crap is truly a double edged sword).

Lebron going to a storied franchise like the Lakers, that has been going through the worst stretch in their history and getting them to a 4 seed would likely be the biggest story in the NBA. Not that it necessarily should be, but it's the Lakers and it's Lebron. So, it almost certainly will be. Especially since he didn't sign with another superstar or 2.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD...

book it, mofo's...

I could see KD winning another finals MVP. But unless the Warriors lose 2 of their other stars and KD leads them to a top 2 record in the West...he ain't getting the regular season MVP. I don't think any of the Warriors star players will. They are viewed as too stacked.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I think we all agree to some extent that Lebron could/maybe should, win the MVP every season. The reason he hasn't has been blamed a lot on "Lebron fatigue" (all of that social media crap is truly a double edged sword).

Lebron going to a storied franchise like the Lakers, that has been going through the worst stretch in their history and getting them to a 4 seed would likely be the biggest story in the NBA. Not that it necessarily should be, but it's the Lakers and it's Lebron. So, it almost certainly will be. Especially since he didn't sign with another superstar or 2.

Agreed.

It will also depend on LeBron's outlook for this year.

If he wants to invest more in long term growth, he will still be great, but he will allow the kids to carry more of the load and grow.

If he wants to go for MVP though, he can absolutely have another season like last year. And if he does, I think he probably gets it.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think everyone is underestimating the Lakers. They have the same core, the same great coach, they were playing a hell of a basketball game at the end of the season. This is after losing like 17 straight earlier in the season. It shows growth, it shows coaching, it shows toughness, and now you add Lebron with his talent and leadership. Plop a bunch of skilled veterans on the bench. The Lakers can win 50 games, and the odds are imo favorable that they can, and maybe even win more than that. I play close attention the league and my lakers, im not playing. IM DONE PLAYING WITCH YALL!!!L!>>!

Lebron will probably win.The Lakers can win 15 more games with Lebron easy.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If LeBron gets the Lakers anywhere near 50 wins, he's the MVP.

My dark horse will be Kawhi.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on where they are in the standings, like last years Cavs.

Anyone thinking he’s playing all 82 again?
No.

Distasteful as it may sound for some Lakers fans, @LAD was right.

LeBron won't take the year off so to speak. But, he and everyone with half a brain knows he's not winning a championship this year unless there are several major injuries elsewhere.

Why add extra, unnecessary miles by trying to play 82?

It's way more important to preserve his health.

If LeBron blows a knee, after inking a 4 year max deal, the Lakers are completely Fucked and will be right back where they started when they gave a one legged Kobe that big contract.

What max guy gonna want to sign there next Summer with a 35 year old broken Lebron?

No way Magic risks that.

No way.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thread, @tlance ....

Nice to have something different to debate.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think this is true. I think we would need 55+ for Lebron to win MVP.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

LeBron won't take the year off so to speak. But, he and everyone with half a brain knows he's not winning a championship this year unless there are several major injuries elsewhere.

If LeBron blows a knee, after inking a 4 year max deal, the Lakers are completely Fucked and will be right back where they started when they gave a one legged Kobe that big contract.

What max guy gonna want to sign there next Summer with a 35 year old broken Lebron?

No way Magic risks that.

No way.

I think you are probably right.

But, there is another possibility.

He wasn't going to win this year anyway. He recognized that he gained ground in the GOAT debate last season carrying a team that had almost no shot to beat GS. Maybe he is trying to replicate that in LA?

Carry the Lakers to 50+ wins, post ridiculous numbers, win MVP #5, lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs and enjoy the summer off.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

No way Magic risks that.

No way.

i'm ok with that. less i see him, the better...

#justsayin

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. The Lakers roster is not that bad where a 47 win and 6th seeded lakers team gets Lebron the mvp. They need to win 50+ and a top 4 seed imo