• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will be cut after the 2013 draft?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
we already saw the effects of miscommunication in the play-offs (Julio Jones). between these two i'll stick with Whitner.

That wasn't miscommunication IMO. That was just Brown making a couple of bonehead plays & breaking off coverage on one of 'em. He played terribly that game.

Rolle has been in the league a long time. If he were cut, I would have no problem putting him in there as the FS. He'd have minicamps & preseason to get used to the defense; he'd be fine.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Damnit.. I meant to quote something.. Dumb smart phone..

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That wasn't miscommunication IMO. That was just Brown making a couple of bonehead plays & breaking off coverage on one of 'em. He played terribly that game.

Rolle has been in the league a long time. If he were cut, I would have no problem putting him in there as the FS. He'd have minicamps & preseason to get used to the defense; he'd be fine.

ok, not a problem.

as an NFL veteran yes, Rolle shouldn't take a LONG time to get it. i'll still go with Whitner.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Other peoples garbage always looks better than your garbage?

Is that in reference to signing a player who gets cut?

If a player is cut it doesn't necessarily mean he's garbage. It could mean he signed a contract with a huge salary at the back end and the team can't afford it. Or they could be re-building & cap-strapped so they want to go with a younger, cheaper guy.

It's not looking like Antrel Rolle will be cut anyway. :( It seems like a few decent players usually get cut around this time of year though.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reference to cutting Whitner to sign Rolle. Whitner has his issues but I'd keep him over Rolle.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In reference to cutting Whitner to sign Rolle. Whitner has his issues but I'd keep him over Rolle.

You don't think Rolle is leaps & bounds better in coverage than Whitner? It's not even close for me.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better in coverage By A bit. Niners are hard up against the cap. Also need to think about the future with a lot of talent to resign. Rolle is not enough of an upgrade for the cost he will likely command. With the Smith wrecking crew back and healthy and our corners looking decent I'm ok with Whitner this year and finding his replacement next year I. The draft and having younger and cheaper.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
maybe they can remove Whitner on obvious passing downs? doesn't have to be every single down, but TRY someone better at coverage?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe they can remove Whitner on obvious passing downs? doesn't have to be every single down, but TRY someone better at coverage?

So, what would be considered obvious passing downs? 2nd/3rd and Long? If teams scout the defense and play call to our weaknesses, then they will take advantage of whitner in coverage on not so obvious passing downs, right?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, what would be considered obvious passing downs? 2nd/3rd and Long? If teams scout the defense and play call to our weaknesses, then they will take advantage of whitner in coverage on not so obvious passing downs, right?

yeah, there is no set distance defining a passing down, so not saying we should do it EVERY single 'passing down'. but 3rd and longs are typically considered the 'passing down'.

now if a team wants to attack Whitner by throwing 'long' on 1st and 2nd downs, go ahead and try? the Smiths will be back healthy and we've improved pass rushing depth.

Whitner isn't the best coverage Safety, but don't think he's a big liability either?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, there is no set distance defining a passing down, so not saying we should do it EVERY single 'passing down'. but 3rd and longs are typically considered the 'passing down'.

now if a team wants to attack Whitner by throwing 'long' on 1st and 2nd downs, go ahead and try? the Smiths will be back healthy and we've improved pass rushing depth.

Whitner isn't the best coverage Safety, but don't think he's a big liability either?

I hope you are right but last year he got beat often. Being that he is declining/aging we can assume this year will be more challenging? I hope we do actually have a solid rotation on the line and guys dont have to cover for 5+ seconds

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope you are right but last year he got beat often. Being that he is declining/aging we can assume this year will be more challenging? I hope we do actually have a solid rotation on the line and guys dont have to cover for 5+ seconds

yeah, agree Whitner is declining/aging, and it'll likely get worse than better?

if our rush doesn't get better as the season progresses, we'll struggle against most opponents. worse, we'll have a really hard time in the play-offs against a team like Atlanta.