• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who to Root For?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seattle Seahawks stun Packers, head to Super Bowl XLIX to see Patriots | The MMQB with Peter King

I found Wilson afterward, and asked him about the four picks, and going from the worst game of his life to the most exhilarating in the span of eight minutes of game time.

“That’s God setting it up, to make it so dramatic, so rewarding, so special,” he said, alone for a moment in the locker room before heading out for the night. “I’ve been through a lot in life, and had some ups and downs. It’s what’s led me to this day.”

How can anyone root for this guy?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care for Sherman's antics on and off the field, but I respect his skills. He's got a loud mouth, but his play backs that up. That's what so frustrating for us Niners' fan.

I could care less about players who can back up being jackasses with their play. I prefer ones that are not jackasses whether they are good or not.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting how "fans" will hold grudges against certain players or teams or take events more personal, more so than the actual players. When the game is done some of those guys are in the clubs together regardless of the outcome, train in the off-season together, or have real life friendships. It's all sports man, best man wins, he who has more points when the final gun sounds did what they needed to do more so than the guy or team who did not-Thats my philosophy. I have no issues with Sherman or Wilson, I have no issue with them eating on the logo as we shouldn't have lost, (I'm sure most Niner fans had no issue when Owens ran to the Dallas star) I certainly respect their front office, I love the way Beast mode plays the game I think his interview antics are unprofessional but what he gives between the stripes is phenomenal. Seattle is a good ball club and right now they have the juice, and I respect that-

Well, if you want to root for players simply because they are the most talented that is your prerogative. In order to me to actually root for a player or team that is not my home team, there has to be something other than talent that will get me to root for them. I tend not to root for players who are bad sports and talk trash about our own fan base and players and just about anyone else he can't get along with. Arizona could have beaten us twice this year and I still would have rooted for them to win the Super Bowl as players like Larry Fitzgerald are easy to root for

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather drink liquid draino that root for them. I don't know how any 49er fan could possibly root for Sherman

You have to give credit to Seattle, the team. It is not about Sherman.
Pete built his vision the old way, with D. Granted he does push the envelope, but so does BB.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Joe Cool is still the GOAT, no matter what Brady does this Sunday or for the rest of his career for that matter. A 4-0 SB record is better than 3-2. Or whatever Brady's career SB record is once he hangs up his cleats.

I agree, but Russell looks like a young Joe Cool.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to give credit to Seattle, the team. It is not about Sherman.
Pete built his vision the old way, with D. Granted he does push the envelope, but so does BB.

They are a great team but this is not about how good they are. This about who we as 49er fans are going to root for this weekend. Sherman is on the team so how he conducts himself matters on how most 49er fans feel about the team. There is a small percentage who will root for Seattle but most won't

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't expect a lot of love from 49ers fans, after all we are bitter rivals. Just want to give a thumbs ups to the few that could get past part of being rivals and are rooting for the Seahawks.

:thumb:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get caught up in the melodramatics of the female soap operas, it's sports, teams win and teams lose, some guys that happen to not play for the team one supports are still phenomenal.

Acknowledging someone's talent is not the same as rooting for their team. Seattle wouldn't be in the super bowl if they weren't a talented team. I'm just not rooting for my rival to win and have their fan base rant on about it for another year. That's silly.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seattle Seahawks stun Packers, head to Super Bowl XLIX to see Patriots | The MMQB with Peter King

I found Wilson afterward, and asked him about the four picks, and going from the worst game of his life to the most exhilarating in the span of eight minutes of game time.

“That’s God setting it up, to make it so dramatic, so rewarding, so special,” he said, alone for a moment in the locker room before heading out for the night. “I’ve been through a lot in life, and had some ups and downs. It’s what’s led me to this day.”

How can anyone root for this guy?

The more I think about this, the more it irritates the hell out of me. Hey Russell, go talk to Patrick Willis about a lot of ups and downs in life. Tell him why God didn't want him to win a super bowl.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you want to root for players simply because they are the most talented that is your prerogative. In order to me to actually root for a player or team that is not my home team, there has to be something other than talent that will get me to root for them. I tend not to root for players who are bad sports and talk trash about our own fan base and players and just about anyone else he can't get along with. Arizona could have beaten us twice this year and I still would have rooted for them to win the Super Bowl as players like Larry Fitzgerald are easy to root for

Like I said man, to you and the other guy Robotics, you guys aren't getting paid nor am I, you guys don't get rings for Super bowls nor do I, some of these dudes have lost championship games competing against each other and kicked it together the same night. At the end of the day, it's sports and competition, I leave the melodramatics to the females. When Seattle plays San Fran it's no question, but San Fran isn't playing New England this weekend, Seattle is. All this "this player trash talked, or this player said X about the fan base" LOL cmon man, it's not that serious. These dudes you choose not to "root for" have no clue who you are, it's all sports, competition, and entertainment-

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was absolutely classless when TO ran to the star to celebrate. I probably laughed about it at the time, but TO is hardly a guy to cite when talking about class acts.

I dislike the Seahawks. Part of it is because they're division rivals and we see a lot of them. Part of it is because several guys on the team don't play or win with class. Part of it is because I lived in Seattle for almost six years and had to deal with their "fans" claiming to be so dedicated when they can only name Wilson, Lynch, and Sherman, and had never been to a game before the team got good. A big part of it is that I really dislike Carroll. And part of it is that Wilson rubs me the wrong way; I think he's phony.

At this point, they're my least favorite team in the NFL and I want to see them lose. They're great on the field, but I still want them to lose. Same as the Cowboys of the '80s and the Packers of the '90s.

And the Seattle "fans" probably laughed about Thanksgiving at the time as well. I do agree that certain "fans" can make it easy to dislike a team especially when said team is winning but that is rather trivial, I often find myself enjoying the suffering of the "fan" of said team than I actually do the team when a struggle or hardship is the current course. But again, it's all personal preference, some teams some "fans" either love or Hate, the Miami Heat were recently of the fame, it is what it is, to each man his own

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And the Seattle "fans" probably laughed about Thanksgiving at the time as well. I do agree that certain "fans" can make it easy to dislike a team especially when said team is winning but that is rather trivial, I often find myself enjoying the suffering of the "fan" of said team than I actually do the team when a struggle or hardship is the current course. But again, it's all personal preference, some teams some "fans" either love or Hate, the Miami Heat were recently of the fame, it is what it is, to each man his own

Yes, but again, TO basically defined poor sport. Wilson basically did the same thing and then tried to pass it off as not being a jab at the Niners and their fanbase. Again, at least Sherman was honest about it.

But maybe God told him to do it.

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dislike the Seahawks. Part of it is because they're division rivals and we see a lot of them. Part of it is because several guys on the team don't play or win with class...

Can we all agree to stop this idiotic "Win with Class" rhetoric? Winning teams in professional sports do what they can within the rules and outside the rules until they get stopped by penalties, rule changes, or someone figures out a way around it.

Lets not be naive. Walsh was regarded as a cheat amongst his peers.

Why, because they couldn't beat him. Do a quick google search and you'll find things like Disabling communication between the booth and the field We all know about the 9ers cut blocking... they changed the rules because of it. There were countless reports of bounties in Walsh's system.

We loved him because he revolutionized the game, but more importantly, he won us championships.

Bottom line is if we had Sherman or Lynch on our team, you would probably love them. The same excuses of, Sherman is a Stanford grad and is just putting on a show, or Lynch just understands the media aspect of the game and choses not to interact would be coming out of your mouth and the Seahawks fans would hate them just as much as we hate them now.

An example I'll give you is Whitner vs Bathea. Everyone used to make excuses about Whitner not head-hunting and called out the game as the reason he was getting penalties called. He left, we brought in Bathea and we see that the game can be played effectively without taking someones head off. Had Whitner been a Ram or a Seahawks, we'd all hate him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we all agree to stop this idiotic "Win with Class" rhetoric? Winning teams in professional sports do what they can within the rules and outside the rules until they get stopped by penalties, rule changes, or someone figures out a way around it.

Why, because they couldn't beat him. Do a quick google search and you'll find things like Disabling communication between the booth and the field We all know about the 9ers cut blocking... they changed the rules because of it. There were countless reports of bounties in Walsh's system.

We loved him because he revolutionized the game, but more importantly, he won us championships.

Bottom line is if we had Sherman or Lynch on our team, you would probably love them. The same excuses of, Sherman is a Stanford grad and is just putting on a show, or Lynch just understands the media aspect of the game and choses not to interact would be coming out of your mouth and the Seahawks fans would hate them just as much as we hate them now.

An example I'll give you is Whitner vs Bathea. Everyone used to make excuses about Whitner not head-hunting and called out the game as the reason he was getting penalties called. He left, we brought in Bathea and we see that the game can be played effectively without taking someones head off. Had Whitner been a Ram or a Seahawks, we'd all hate him.

No sure what Walsh has to do about it or this winning with class crap. In regards to Sherman. Don't assume we would love him. I would like to have someone of his talent but don't want that kind of antics on any team I support. Don't have an issue with Lynch so I am not sure why you even brought him up

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said man, to you and the other guy Robotics, you guys aren't getting paid nor am I, you guys don't get rings for Super bowls nor do I, some of these dudes have lost championship games competing against each other and kicked it together the same night. At the end of the day, it's sports and competition, I leave the melodramatics to the females. When Seattle plays San Fran it's no question, but San Fran isn't playing New England this weekend, Seattle is. All this "this player trash talked, or this player said X about the fan base" LOL cmon man, it's not that serious. These dudes you choose not to "root for" have no clue who you are, it's all sports, competition, and entertainment-

Not sure where you are going with this, None of the players who I root for on any team know who I am so I am not sure what this has to do with anything. You can root for or against players and not being fanatical about it. Howard, who is a Seahawks fan understands most 49er fans are not going to root for their bitter rivals. I don't know how that is so diffficult to understand,

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I didn't even realize I was using the "winning with class" line. I don't think I'm using it the same way Jed is. Just like there are poor losers, there are poor winners. Many of the Hawks are poor winners. They rub it in. They pound their chests. They talk about how God wanted them to win - and caused their poor play (???). They are entitled to do that, but it makes them assholes in my book. I don't like that sort of behavior, whoever does it. I wouldn't want my team to disrespect another team's logo, or go on national media calling out players on the losing team. It's bullying behavior.

Re: Whitner and Bethea, I think they are both good players. The issue with Whitner was that he was hitting people legally, but was still getting hammered by the officials. I don't know that he was ever fined (was once, but I believe he successfully appealed). He would lead with the shoulder and contact the body, and still get penalized. It was bad officiating. Whitner plays the way Chancellor does, and I love that. It's physical and it's within the rules.

I like Chancellor (as a player, anyway, don't know much about him as a guy). I like Lynch - though not playing against him. I even kind of like that he refuses to speak to the media. I think Michael Bennett is a real character and I have found him very funny and engaging when interviewed. Brandon Mebane is an incredible, understated player who doesn't get nearly the praise he deserves. These are all guys I like a lot. Earl Thomas is almost certainly the best FS in the league and I would love to have him on our team (wanted him over Anthony Davis), but the fact that GB got flagged for talking in the NFCCG and Thomas hasn't ever to my knowledge is a joke. Hell, I think Richard Sherman is a phenomenal corner and an incredibly smart football player. But I don't like his persona when he's off the field - or after plays. I don't like Wilson off the field one bit, all the more so because of his God BS following the NFCCG. I don't like Baldwin off the field. And currently, these guys are the primary mouthpieces of the organization along with Carroll, who I also have tremendous respect for as a coach, but don't like.

And as far as this thread goes, I don't like NE one bit, either. I think Brady is an arrogant asshole, and Belichick is an unprincipled dick. I don't want them to win. I just want Seattle to lose.