• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which 49ers in a contract year?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So the biggest 49er (figuratively and literally) in a contract year this season, whom I can remember, is Sopoaga. Who are some others?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the biggest 49er (figuratively and literally) in a contract year this season, whom I can remember, is Sopoaga. Who are some others?

Has Goldson signed?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sop and RJF, Walker, Ginn, Brock, Jacobs, Gooden and Grant. Those are the "big" ones. Not many though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sop and RJF, Walker, Ginn, Brock, Jacobs, Gooden and Grant. Those are the "big" ones. Not many though.

yeah, if this is it then not bad at all.

don't know who's up the following season, but i'd think they'll continue to seek extensions with players such as Bowman and Macdonald? Iupati?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, if this is it then not bad at all.

don't know who's up the following season, but i'd think they'll continue to seek extensions with players such as Bowman and Macdonald? Iupati?

McDonald just signed last year for five years. Bowman is signed through 2013, but might be too expensive for us to re-sign given what we already spend at the position. He'd be a prime candidate for a franchise tag, though, I'd think. Or to extend this year as he's making peanuts, and might agree to a semi-reasonable extension in exchange for money this year and next, and the financial security.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 is going to be a windfall for MLB's as Matthews & Cushing are also due to become UFA's. If we plan to keep Bowman I would rather set the market than follow it with those two looking for extensions between now and next season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McDonald just signed last year for five years. Bowman is signed through 2013, but might be too expensive for us to re-sign given what we already spend at the position. He'd be a prime candidate for a franchise tag, though, I'd think. Or to extend this year as he's making peanuts, and might agree to a semi-reasonable extension in exchange for money this year and next, and the financial security.

oh ok, so its good that we're set with Macdonald. yeah, guess Bowman will likely seek BIG money...can't blame him.

but maybe this allows us to sign Grant who filled in well for Willis.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2014 is going to be a windfall for MLB's as Matthews & Cushing are also due to become UFA's. If we plan to keep Bowman I would rather set the market than follow it with those two looking for extensions between now and next season.

it does make sense we can't give both Willis and Bowman (MLB's) big contracts. so don't think we'll "set the market" on MLB's?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it does make sense we can't give both Willis and Bowman (MLB's) big contracts. so don't think we'll "set the market" on MLB's?

I don't think you understood my post - either way, you need to keep in mind we do not have a franchise QB salary & cap hit to worry about, so re-signing Bowman is not as far out of the question as you seem to be implying.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think you understood my post - either way, you need to keep in mind we do not have a franchise QB salary & cap hit to worry about, so re-signing Bowman is not as far out of the question as you seem to be implying.

yes, we'll have the cap ability to sign Bowman if we really want to, but do we really want to? is it wise to sink two big contracts on MLB's? for example, Grant played well in Willis' absence, so we could sign him to a smaller contract for more value. this isn't saying don't even try, but i'd think the limit would be whatever Willis is getting? pretty sure Bowman said he's seeking a BIG contract?

what happens when we need to re-sign or tag other key positions? we won't need to sign key positions right away, but we should maintain a good cap situation going forward.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, we'll have the cap ability to sign Bowman if we really want to, but do we really want to? is it wise to sink two big contracts on MLB's? for example, Grant played well in Willis' absence, so we could sign him to a smaller contract for more value. this isn't saying don't even try, but i'd think the limit would be whatever Willis is getting? pretty sure Bowman said he's seeking a BIG contract?

what happens when we need to re-sign or tag other key positions? we won't need to sign key positions right away, but we should maintain a good cap situation going forward.

Some thoughts - If Bowman plays this year as he did last year, then I guarantee we will make Bowman an extension offer, and yes, we would really want to. I also guarantee you Bowman never said he was seeking a BIG contract, I think you are attributing statements made by writers to Bowman.

Also, it seems you, like too many, are looking only at the dollars of a contract and not the structure of the contract, which is by far more important; Willis' contract was brilliantly constructed and I would expect Bowman's would be as well.

Finally, we WILL lose some key players come 2014 and beyond that is the nature of the business; however, a good cap situation is defined much more by winning than by how much room you have.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it will probably be too expensive to realistically resign Bowman, but it is nice to dream.

On a semi related note, I wish the NFL was more trade friendly during the season. Even though I like the NFL more than the NBA in almost every facet, the number of trades in the NBA, especially close to the deadline, makes the basketball season more interesting. I know that the Niners get comp picks for players lost to FA, but picks to be named later are boring, while trades on the other hand are wild and interesting.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pain in re-signing Bowman will come from the lack of increase in the salary cap over the next few years. There is zero question that we will try to extend him in 2012, but I agree it could be difficult. One thing that may help us re-sign Bowman is how we structured Willis' contract. I for one think we'll get it done.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as we luv what Bowman did in yr 2(yr 1 as a starter) let's see what his 3rd (2nd) will do in terms of contract extension.

A Willis/Bowman duo is very nice in a defense.

Goldson is gone after this year one way or the other IMO.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers - NFL Team Contracts - Rotoworld.com

Having both Soap and RJF as Free Agents seems to be the biggest concern going into 2013, unless Tomsula continues to be great and coaches up Dobbs, Tukuafu, or Williams into a position where they are ready to take over in 2013.

As it has already been said, 2014 is going to be the rough off-season that could lead to sweeping changes. Mostly because Justin Smith becomes a Free Agent, and I believe under the new CBA Aldon Smith will be able to negotiate a new contract before he becomes a free agent in 2015. If he keeps getting 10+ sacks, I'd sure expect a hold-out in 2014 if the 49ers don't give him a new deal before then... just the nature of the business if he has that type of success. Crabtree also has 2014 as a voidable year, but I think it has been reported that it is impossible for him to reach the stats needed to void that year. Whitner is another 2014 FA.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having both Soap and RJF as Free Agents seems to be the biggest concern going into 2013, unless Tomsula continues to be great and coaches up Dobbs, Tukuafu, or Williams into a position where they are ready to take over in 2013.

As it has already been said, 2014 is going to be the rough off-season that could lead to sweeping changes. Mostly because Justin Smith becomes a Free Agent, and I believe under the new CBA Aldon Smith will be able to negotiate a new contract before he becomes a free agent in 2015. If he keeps getting 10+ sacks, I'd sure expect a hold-out in 2014 if the 49ers don't give him a new deal before then... just the nature of the business if he has that type of success. Crabtree also has 2014 as a voidable year, but I think it has been reported that it is impossible for him to reach the stats needed to void that year. Whitner is another 2014 FA.

This is 100% correct!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I had to chose one of Ice or PBJ.... I'd pick Sopz since he does have an impact role in our defense while RJF hasn't met the expectations(at least from my end).... Not sure what $ would either command but I would hope Ice gives us a discount while RJF would probably go elsewhere to a bigger pay off if offered. If not, I could see him staying true to the red and gold.

Not afraid on Whitner, if he bolts, he bolts... Crabtree, well he would have to earn his stay by that time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

after the 2013 season, wouldn't Terrell Brown be a bigger concern than Whitner? just asking...........

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to chose one of Ice or PBJ.... I'd pick Sopz since he does have an impact role in our defense while RJF hasn't met the expectations(at least from my end).... Not sure what $ would either command but I would hope Ice gives us a discount while RJF would probably go elsewhere to a bigger pay off if offered. If not, I could see him staying true to the red and gold.

Not afraid on Whitner, if he bolts, he bolts... Crabtree, well he would have to earn his stay by that time.

If I had to chose one of Ice or PBJ.... it would depend on if I was drinking milk or coke. PBJ definitely goes better with milk. :drum::L:burt: