• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which 49ers in a contract year?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If I had to chose one of Ice or PBJ.... I'd pick Sopz since he does have an impact role in our defense while RJF hasn't met the expectations(at least from my end).... Not sure what $ would either command but I would hope Ice gives us a discount while RJF would probably go elsewhere to a bigger pay off if offered. If not, I could see him staying true to the red and gold.

Not afraid on Whitner, if he bolts, he bolts... Crabtree, well he would have to earn his stay by that time.

What were your expectations? He was a 6th or 7th round pick. I don't think we've seen enough of RJF to have a strong feeling for him, but it took Sop years to hit his stride, and even McDonald didn't look all that good until last year. Not saying I give RJF the nod, but he's much younger and is more versatile. I'll be interested to see what we do.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Every time I think of the McDonald signing I smile. That was such a great signing...

I agree that Bowman will probably walk. Maybe the Niners can tag him for one year, but one is probably it.

The guy I'm most concerned about signing long term is Iupati. He has 2 more years left. I think Davis is more replaceable than he, and Bowman would tie up way too much money at ILB.

Some lesser FAs I'd like to keep long term are Miller, Culliver & RJF (in that order).

I'm pretty ambivolent about Walker, Kyle Williams, Crabby, Davis & Goldson.

I'm not optimistic about re-signing Soap. He should command some serious d'oh! That's why I was so huge on drafting a NT. Depth on the DL is still a big issue IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Every time I think of the McDonald signing I smile. That was such a great signing...

I agree that Bowman will probably walk. Maybe the Niners can tag him for one year, but one is probably it.

The guy I'm most concerned about signing long term is Iupati. He has 2 more years left. I think Davis is more replaceable than he, and Bowman would tie up way too much money at ILB.

Some lesser FAs I'd like to keep long term are Miller, Culliver & RJF (in that order).

I'm not optimistic about re-signing Soap. He should command some serious d'oh! That's why I was so huge on drafting a NT. Depth on the DL is still a big issue IMO.

Sop is a valuable player no doubt, but he doesn't play every down either. he also isn't that young, so will he command "serious dough" next off season?

Anthony Davis may surprise us with a solid year, isn't this his third season? he did come out early so maybe this is when his talent takes two steps up?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'd be surprised if Crabtree stuck around. He's going to want to get paid, as he has absolutely no self-awareness and somehow believes he is a younger version of Randy Moss. I don't think he'll get what he wants anywhere, but he'll probably get more than we'll be willing to pay.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That said, losing Crabtree, Williams, and Walker within a short period would hurt the receiving corps pretty badly. I suppose it depends what happens with Manningham, Jenkins, and the UDFAs.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sop is a valuable player no doubt, but he doesn't play every down either. he also isn't that young, so will he command "serious dough" next off season?

Anthony Davis may surprise us with a solid year, isn't this his third season? he did come out early so maybe this is when his talent takes two steps up?

I'll step out on a ledge for AD and say he will make the pro-bowl this year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Oh I agree that Davis may (and I think will) have a solid year. He's turning into a good RT. However, I think his production will be much easier to replace than Sopoaga's or Iupati's. If he signed for the right price, I'd love to have him stick around long term. Anyone who gives as dirty a look to Kyle Williams as he did is ok in my book.

anthonydaviskylewilliam.jpg

Sopoaga isn't worth Vince Wilfork kind of money, but I think he's worth a LOT more than he's been making the last couple of seasons. He could start for quite a few other 3-4 defenses IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if Crabtree stuck around. He's going to want to get paid, as he has absolutely no self-awareness and somehow believes he is a younger version of Randy Moss. I don't think he'll get what he wants anywhere, but he'll probably get more than we'll be willing to pay.

We own CTree until 2015, so depending on Crabtree's production and possibly our cap situation, he just might be too cheap to release...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree that Davis will may (and I think will) have a solid year. He's turning into a good RT. However, I think his production will be much easier to replace than Sopoaga's or Iupati's. If he signed for the right price, I'd love to have him stick around long term. Anyone who gives as dirty a look to Kyle Williams as he did is ok in my book.

Score! That was the look of a beast!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after the 2013 season, wouldn't Terrell Brown be a bigger concern than Whitner? just asking...........

Probably, he is the younger guy. I kinda figured it wouldn't be an issue because Rogers would be going on 34 and they'd probably cut him to keep Brown if his play merits keeping him.

Not related to this topic... but don't want to make another post.

I think I know where Bowman will end up if the 49ers aren't able to extend him.... Baltimore is going to be in need of a MLB when Ray Lewis retires and John is probably going to swipe him from Jim.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably, he is the younger guy. I kinda figured it wouldn't be an issue because Rogers would be going on 34 and they'd probably cut him to keep Brown if his play merits keeping him.

Not related to this topic... but don't want to make another post.

I think I know where Bowman will end up if the 49ers aren't able to extend him.... Baltimore is going to be in need of a MLB when Ray Lewis retires and John is probably going to swipe him from Jim.

Great point - If we are to lose NaVorro that deal will be done over Thanksgiving...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That said, losing Crabtree, Williams, and Walker within a short period would hurt the receiving corps pretty badly. I suppose it depends what happens with Manningham, Jenkins, and the UDFAs.

it'll hurt but not so sure its "pretty badly"?

the bulk of the TE reps will go to Vernon Davis anyway. we'd lose a little versatility in Walker, but this loss still isn't 'pretty badly'.

at WR, Crabtree leaving would hurt, but thats where AJ comes in. after a full season, he should be where Crabtree is now (or close to it). so again, it'll hurt yes, but hurt 'pretty badly'....not so sure.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i'm staying short of that, but still feel this could be a solid year for him? "solid" meaning he not only takes a step up, but plays consistently all season.

granted there will be a new RG that could affect his play, but still....individually his time is now.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm staying short of that, but still feel this could be a solid year for him? "solid" meaning he not only takes a step up, but plays consistently all season.

granted there will be a new RG that could affect his play, but still....individually his time is now.

Haha, I'm sure few will follow my lead on that prediction, but if he can improve at the same rate in year three as he did in year two over year one - then I like his chances. He is very close on run blocking already, he just needs to shore-up his pass pro and he should get an invite.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't know. It's tough for RTs to make the pro bowl. Though Peters is already out, and he pretty much had one spot locked up.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We own CTree until 2015, so depending on Crabtree's production and possibly our cap situation, he just might be too cheap to release...

I think he plays out his contract, but then I think he departs unless he suddenly starts playing at a considerably higher level. He's been ok to date. I suspect he'll need to be great on the field for us to offer what he'll want.

Honestly, I'm not sure he returns after his contract regardless. If he starts putting up 1,000+ yards and 10+ TDs, he'll probably want Calvin Johnson money.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it'll hurt but not so sure its "pretty badly"?

the bulk of the TE reps will go to Vernon Davis anyway. we'd lose a little versatility in Walker, but this loss still isn't 'pretty badly'.

at WR, Crabtree leaving would hurt, but thats where AJ comes in. after a full season, he should be where Crabtree is now (or close to it). so again, it'll hurt yes, but hurt 'pretty badly'....not so sure.

That's fair. None of these guys is irreplaceable by any means. But we could use a little consistency at the position after years of turnover.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he plays out his contract, but then I think he departs unless he suddenly starts playing at a considerably higher level. He's been ok to date. I suspect he'll need to be great on the field for us to offer what he'll want.

Honestly, I'm not sure he returns after his contract regardless. If he starts putting up 1,000+ yards and 10+ TDs, he'll probably want Calvin Johnson money.

I laughed at that, but then I remembered the Redskins and realized he has a chance to get that type of money.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. It's tough for RTs to make the pro bowl. Though Peters is already out, and he pretty much had one spot locked up.

I hear ya, I wish they would fix that ridiculous voting flaw...IMO, the O'Line should be repped by 10, two at each position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haha, I'm sure few will follow my lead on that prediction, but if he can improve at the same rate in year three as he did in year two over year one - then I like his chances. He is very close on run blocking already, he just needs to shore-up his pass pro and he should get an invite.

ok yeah, its not so far fetched.

if our offensive UNIT improves as much as we anticipate, then everyone will look better. this should elevate Davis too.