• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Cavs go from here?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe.....i could see them being better or worse record wise than any of those teams. Remember, in both Miami and Cleveland it took time for the teams to gel, and that was with Love/Irving and Bosh/Wade.

Now LeBron has a bunch of kids and a bunch of psychopaths and pretty much no one who can reliably drain a 3. I saw the numbers you quoted on Kuzma, KCP etc...but none of those guys is a pure volume 3 pt shooter. Ingram made less than 0.7 3-pointers a game last year. Before last year KCP's best 3pt percentage in his career was 35%--- at least he is SOMEWHAT of a volume guy with about 2 makes a game. Hart made 40% of his 3's but took less than 200 on the season.

They need a Channing Frye or Kyle Korver or something like that- a volume shooter who can reliaby hit about 40%. they actually need about 3 of those guys if you ask me.

Nobody that can hit the 3? I would have added a designated shooter but that's not really true, Wiggy.....

Ingram made 39% o his 3's.

Kuzma made 37%.

KCP made 38%.

Hart made 40%.

Rondo made 42% in the playoffs so he's certainly capable.

And James made 37%.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats 19 attempts. lol....he made 0.8 three's per game in the postseason. He was left wide open on them because hes not a three point shooter. thats a shot teams want him to take.

You harp on Ball's FT shooting, he only attempted 1.4 per game.

#Hypocriosybeconsistent

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that he understands his chance of winning a title next year was worse then any chance since he first joined Miami.

So, why stay with the Cavs?
Why risk not even coming out of the East?

This is truly the first time I’d say he isn’t in a title or bust season since 2010.
because i think that the streak meant something to him...he could have done 9 in a row----- but its irrelevant now i suppose.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody that can hit the 3? I would have added a designated shooter but that's not really true, Wiggy.....

Kuzma made 37%.

KCP made 38%.

Hart made 40%.

And James made 37%.
when you make 0.7 three's a game your percentage is irrelevant. Its not material.

Rondo made 42% on 19 shots. Again, thats a totally irrelevant sample size. Even considering that, he only made 0.8 three's per game. He played 9 playoff games last year and made a total of 8 three's. Thats just not relevant.

KCP I will somewhat give to you since he at least made about 2 three's a game, which is pretty solid in today's NBA, but he did shoot 38%, which is by far the best of his career, but considering he was in and out of jail quite a bit, its a good sign i guess.

Kuzma is the one that is a little bit intriguing becuase it shows that he might have some stretch 4 possibilities going on.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isnt it surprising to you that LeBron would throw away one of the last great years of his career? Its what i still cant get over.

He was going to throw it away whether he stayed in Cleveland, or went to Philly or the Lakers.

Lebron isn't stupid. He knew he wasn't going to be getting back to the finals if he stayed in Cleveland and he knows he's not going back to the finals with the Lakers this season. He had a shot if he went to Philly, but even that was no guarantee and even if they made it, likely end up with their asses kicked by the Warriors anyway.

At least with the Lakers, he's with a team that has the ability to significantly improve the roster around him to possibly get another title before he retires, while also setting himself up for life after basketball.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kuzma can turn into a legit- Ryan-Anderosn like 3 pt shooter and hit over 36% that certainly helps quite a bit. Dude doesnt play a lick of defense but thats a problem with almost all young players.

Kuzma hitting almost 37% while shooting a fairly high volume is interesting. That is one thing I will definitely be watching. Can Kuzma establish himself as guy that NEEDS to be covered in the corner. If he can that definitely helps quite a bit.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was going to throw it away whether he stayed in Cleveland, or went to Philly or the Lakers.

Lebron isn't stupid. He knew he wasn't going to be getting back to the finals if he stayed in Cleveland and he knows he's not going back to the finals with the Lakers this season. He had a shot if he went to Philly, but even that was no guarantee and even if they made it, likely end up with their asses kicked by the Warriors anyway.

At least with the Lakers, he's with a team that has the ability to significantly improve the roster around him to possibly get another title before he retires, while also setting himself up for life after basketball.
if he went to Philly you can practically GUARANTEE a Finals appearance and that means something. If he stayed in Cleveland i would have given him at least a 50/50 shot of making the Finals if they made a couple moves which they always do.

In LA its arguably 50/50 he even gets to the 2nd round. Its what i just cant get over. It boggles my mind.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets look at some facts here

Kyrie, Love, Smith, TT where all starters on a team that beat a 73 win GS in the finals...Somebody had to play defense and score the other 75 points per game...

They still have Love, Smith, TT and added a lottery pick. Plus Boston gave them 2 young players, plus Hill and hood with clarkson and nance....If they pick up a vet or 2 they are a top 6 team in the east...easily

Now last year lebron had to play nearly every minute just to get the cavs towards the playoffs in the EAST. He is surrounded by who now? Rondo? Stevenson? Ball? Not one player even as good as Love, let alone Irving. Lebron is now on a worse team in a harder conference...I honestly don't see them making the playoffs...sorry but those are the facts kiddo

Yeah.

Kyrie had 40 of them and he ain't there.

And I would take Ingram all day over Love. He isn't as good offensively, but he is much more versatile defensivley. And you are glossing over the fact that Smith is completely cooked.

Clarkson and Hood are probably the best 2 wings on the roster.

I don't like the fit at all for some of the pieces LA added. That said, I will bet you anything you want that LA finishes the year with a better record than Cleveland. Avi bet, Vcash, real cash, bet your house, whatever.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kuzma made 37%.

KCP made 38%.

Hart made 40%.

And James made 37%.
some of it is just common sense, and history, volume, shooting percentage...everything...you have to look at the total package.

Like on the Cavs- Clarkson shot 41% from 3 last year...he had 3.9 attempts per game and 1.6 shots per game. Thats pretty solid- not a HUGE volume, but at least statistically significant. He shot better than Greg Hill did from 3 for the Cavs (only 35%)

having said all that- I know for a fact that Hill is a better 3 pt shooter than Clarkson. I think the whole NBA does. You have to apply some common sense to it.

Does Ingram having a pure 3 pt shooting percentage of 39% something thats good? absolutely. It is encouraging. The fact that he only took 1.8 three's per game and only made 0.7 three's per game makes it fairly irrelevant htough. If the lakers played 4 games in a week that means Ingram made about 3 3's the entire week. A guy like a Frye (who the Lakers had) or a Korver can make that in a quarter.

As i said though- Kuzma is interesting. He took 5.6 three's per game and made 2.1 three's per game for a 36.6%. For a rookie, and a PF, thats intriguing. thats a guy i feel might be a solid fit with LeBron. If you can run some pick and roll with him and put him in a corner, thats a guy that could be a good fit with LeBron if you ask me.

the only problem with Kuzma is that you are giving one of your front court spots to a guy that cnat play D- the other front court spot should be a player that is at least a good defensive player- kind of like the Cavs with Love and Thompson.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.

Kyrie had 40 of them and he ain't there.

And I would take Ingram all day over Love. He isn't as good offensively, but he is much more versatile defensivley. And you are glossing over the fact that Smith is completely cooked.

Clarkson and Hood are probably the best 2 wings on the roster.

I don't like the fit at all for some of the pieces LA added. That said, I will bet you anything you want that LA finishes the year with a better record than Cleveland. Avi bet, Vcash, real cash, bet your house, whatever.

Yeah, Ingram's upside trumps what Love is IMO.

Ingram could make that jump next season to elite player.

He improved all across the board in his 2nd season and could be poised for a breakout year, especially with passers like James and Rondo. Rondo was huge in the Pelicans advancing as far as they did in the playoffs.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kuzma can turn into a legit- Ryan-Anderosn like 3 pt shooter and hit over 36% that certainly helps quite a bit. Dude doesnt play a lick of defense but thats a problem with almost all young players.

Kuzma hitting almost 37% while shooting a fairly high volume is interesting. That is one thing I will definitely be watching. Can Kuzma establish himself as guy that NEEDS to be covered in the corner. If he can that definitely helps quite a bit.

Kuzma did that last seaosn.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of it is just common sense, and history, volume, shooting percentage...everything...you have to look at the total package.

Like on the Cavs- Clarkson shot 41% from 3 last year...he had 3.9 attempts per game and 1.6 shots per game. Thats pretty solid- not a HUGE volume, but at least statistically significant. He shot better than Greg Hill did from 3 for the Cavs (only 35%)

having said all that- I know for a fact that Hill is a better 3 pt shooter than Clarkson. I think the whole NBA does. You have to apply some common sense to it.

Does Ingram having a pure 3 pt shooting percentage of 39% something thats good? absolutely. It is encouraging. The fact that he only took 1.8 three's per game and only made 0.7 three's per game makes it fairly irrelevant htough. If the lakers played 4 games in a week that means Ingram made about 3 3's the entire week. A guy like a Frye (who the Lakers had) or a Korver can make that in a quarter.

As i said though- Kuzma is interesting. He took 5.6 three's per game and made 2.1 three's per game for a 36.6%. For a rookie, and a PF, thats intriguing. thats a guy i feel might be a solid fit with LeBron. If you can run some pick and roll with him and put him in a corner, thats a guy that could be a good fit with LeBron if you ask me.

the only problem with Kuzma is that you are giving one of your front court spots to a guy that cnat play D- the other front court spot should be a player that is at least a good defensive player- kind of like the Cavs with Love and Thompson.

Who is Greg Hill?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he went to Philly you can practically GUARANTEE a Finals appearance and that means something. If he stayed in Cleveland i would have given him at least a 50/50 shot of making the Finals if they made a couple moves which they always do.

In LA its arguably 50/50 he even gets to the 2nd round. Its what i just cant get over. It boggles my mind.

Consider though, his age and milage.
Multiply that by playing into mid June every year with nothing but a longshot to win.

End of the day, losing is losing.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Ingram's upside trumps what Love is IMO.

Ingram could make that jump next season to elite player.

He improved all across the board in his 2nd season and could be poised for a breakout year, especially with passers like James and Rondo. Rondo was huge in the Pelicans advancing as far as they did in the playoffs.
i would def take Ingram over Love for the next 5 years- but just this year i would much rather have Love and i dont think its particularly close. Dude went for like 18 and 9 and was an all star that shot over 40% from 3 with a huge volume- one of the best big man passers and shooters in the league- and one of the leagues best rebounders.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider though, his age and milage.
Multiply that by playing into mid June every year with nothing but a longshot to win.

End of the day, losing is losing.
see i dont agree with "losing is losing"

id say there is a huge difference between, say losing in the first round, and say getting to the Finals, hitting some crazy game winners, putting up half a dozen 40 pt games etc. the latter without a doubt enhances your legacy while the former hurts it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he went to Philly you can practically GUARANTEE a Finals appearance and that means something.

I disagree. I think a healthy Celtics takes them down. I don't think just making the finals again meant as much to Lebron as it did to fans.

If he stayed in Cleveland i would have given him at least a 50/50 shot of making the Finals if they made a couple moves which they always do.

Disagree again. I assume you're talking about Kemba. I don't see Kemba Walker being enough to get the Cavs past the Sixers, let alone a healthy Celtics.

The Celtics took the Cavs to 7 games in the ECF without Kyrie and Hayward. Adding Kyrie and Hayward to the Celtics is a bigger improvement than adding Walker to the Cavs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I think a healthy Celtics takes them down. I don't think just making the finals again meant as much to Lebron as it did to fans.

Disagree again. I assume you're talking about Kemba. I don't see Kemba Walker being enough to get the Cavs past the Sixers, let alone a healthy Celtics.

The Celtics took the Cavs to 7 games in the ECF without Kyrie and Hayward. Adding Kyrie and Hayward to the Celtics is a bigger improvement than adding Walker to the Cavs.
you think if LeBron went to Philly that Philly would have lost to Boston?

Also- the Cavs having time to get some continuity, and actually integrating Clarkson, Hood, Nance Jr., and hill would have helped quite a bit- in addition to Kemba

I agree that it was definitely not a "sure thing"- but if LeBron is in Philly or Cleveland I think he is at least 50/50 to get to the Finals- while like i said- i think in LA, right now wwith no Kawhi trade at least, hes 50/50 to get to the 2nd round.

but enough going down the rabbit hole.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imo, Lebron's presence can only help that. Kuzma shot it pretty well last year, especially in the 2nd half of the season. Lebron on the team should mean a lot more open looks for everyone.

I think we'll see Ingram looking better too because of Lebron. One thing about an all time player like Lebron is that his presence on the floor makes other players better because of the attention he attracts from the defense.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now THAT is some quality stat parsing. Let's ignore his entire career and focus solely on the 18 3 point attempts he made in the playoffs THIS YEAR!!! LOL.