• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When the Suns miss the playoffs...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my prediction and you can scold me if I'm wrong.

1) If we trade one of Thomas or Bledsoe before the offseason then I give him a 90 percent chance of coming back.

2) If we keep both with him heading to Free Agency then it probably becomes 50/50 depending on how much other teams offer him, what our plans are, etc.

Interesting stat- Suns are 11-6 when all three guards play. So maybe it's too early to write the three PG idea off depending on how the rest of the season shakes out.

I agree with Mecca. I think the Suns are going to have to decide which 2 they want and then trade one of them or risk losing Dragic to free agency.

I agree that if they trade Thomas or Bledsoe, Dragic is a virtual lock to come back. Point guards are like quarterbacks. They operate best when you pick one and go with him.

Also, you aren't advancing very far in the playoffs with a lineup that small. They can get away with it in the regular season because it's one game and move on. In the playoffs, the game slows and becomes more physical. When that happens, the speed advantage that works for them in the regular season, becomes a size disadvantage in the playoffs.

If I'm the Suns, I'm looking to move Thomas or Bledsoe for a serviceable big man.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my prediction and you can scold me if I'm wrong.

1) If we trade one of Thomas or Bledsoe before the offseason then I give him a 90 percent chance of coming back.

2) If we keep both with him heading to Free Agency then it probably becomes 50/50 depending on how much other teams offer him, what our plans are, etc.

Interesting stat- Suns are 11-6 when all three guards play. So maybe it's too early to write the three PG idea off depending on how the rest of the season shakes out.

I agree that their chances are better if they thin the backcourt.

But, unless the Clips, Mavs, Rox, Warriors have a catastrophic injury, the Suns have little hope of making the playoffs if the Spurs, Thunder are healthy.

They could not only finish 9th..But, could conceivably fall behind the Pelicans and Kings if they land Williams.

That would not bode well.

TF12 is correct.

They need to trade one of the Thundercats for a big.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you both. But the reason they play the entire season is because you KNOW there will be at least one more major injury coming from one of those 8 teams, and if the Suns can stay healthy, make a run and catch some breaks who knows..... Not rooting for an injury, but it happens every year.

Look at us losing Bledsoe for nearly half of last season. That's all it takes to slip.

I wonder if they would even get a good return on Thomas, though. After seeing what Rondo went for I may hesitate to pull the trigger in some desperation move. Yes, he does have 3 years of control on his contract after this year at a reasonable price unlike Rondo, but he probably won't fetch too much more.

Bledsoe on the other hand-- does it make sense to deal him? He is playing like a borderline elite guard this year. Unless they get a REAL nice return I wouldn't move him. That leaves Dragic. The best player on the team... as the most likely to get dealt. But again, I don't see any good trade partners out there really.

Last edited by a moderator:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a package surrounding J-Hill for Dragic? Maybe you'd like some Sacre thrown on there (lol) or Booze.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a package surrounding J-Hill for Dragic? Maybe you'd like some Sacre thrown on there (lol) or Booze.

4519-uh-no.jpg

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you both. But the reason they play the entire season is because you KNOW there will be at least one more major injury coming from one of those 8 teams, and if the Suns can stay healthy, make a run and catch some breaks who knows..... Not rooting for an injury, but it happens every year.

Look at us losing Bledsoe for nearly half of last season. That's all it takes to slip.

I wonder if they would even get a good return on Thomas, though. After seeing what Rondo went for I may hesitate to pull the trigger in some desperation move. Yes, he does have 3 years of control on his contract after this year at a reasonable price unlike Rondo, but he probably won't fetch too much more.

Bledsoe on the other hand-- does it make sense to deal him? He is playing like a borderline elite guard this year. Unless they get a REAL nice return I wouldn't move him. That leaves Dragic. The best player on the team... as the most likely to get dealt. But again, I don't see any good trade partners out there really.

It might actually make more sense to move Bledsoe. Like you said, he's playing like borderline elite guard. This means that if he were on a team where he is the undisputed starting PG, he will likely play like an elite guard. Other teams know this too, so he probably brings your best return.

Bledsoe knows how good he is and he's not going to want to be in a backup type role much longer. He's going to want to get paid like an elite guard and the Suns are already going to have to pay Dragic a max deal or close to it to keep him. I doubt they're going to want to tie up that much money in 2 PG's.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While it doesn't necessarily need to be to the Lakers. The Suns should look to move Bledsoe (or Dragic if they decide they's rather keep Bledsoe) for a player like Jordan Hill. He is young, athletic, has shown improvement year over year, doesn't need the ball and isn't a very big cap hit. He, or a player like him would be an upgrade over what the Suns currently have.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the Suns up to?

* thinks Brook Lopez *

Paul Coro: The #Suns traded Anthony Tolliver to Detroit for Tony Mitchell, who they are expected to waive. Their cap space will increase to $6.1M. Twitter @paulcoro

Marc Stein: By making this trade to shed Anthony Tolliver's contract, Suns go from $4.21 million under the salary cap to $6.39 million under Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the Suns up to?

* thinks Brook Lopez *

Paul Coro: The #Suns traded Anthony Tolliver to Detroit for Tony Mitchell, who they are expected to waive. Their cap space will increase to $6.1M. Twitter @paulcoro

Marc Stein: By making this trade to shed Anthony Tolliver's contract, Suns go from $4.21 million under the salary cap to $6.39 million under Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

No reason to hang onto Brooke Lopez when you have Mason Plumlee ready to become a starter. Nets should jump on a trade to the Suns.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason to hang onto Brooke Lopez when you have Mason Plumlee ready to become a starter. Nets should jump on a trade to the Suns.

Yep.

I have a sinking feeling that Danny Boy might help facilitate a Lopez to the Cavs trade.

So, I'd much rather see him with the Suns.

Plumlee is beasting...no wonder Sacto has been hot and heavy for him.

The Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo didn’t just net Brandan Wright, Jameer Nelson, Jae Crowder, a first-round pick and a second-round pick.

Boston also got a $12,909,090 trade exception.

The Cavaliers have sure taken notice.

Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein of ESPN:

Report: Cavaliers talking with Celtics about facilitating three-team trade | ProBasketballTalk

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

I have a sinking feeling that Danny Boy might help facilitate a Lopez to the Cavs trade.

So, I'd much rather see him with the Suns.

Plumlee is beasting...no wonder Sacto has been hot and heavy for him.

The Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo didn’t just net Brandan Wright, Jameer Nelson, Jae Crowder, a first-round pick and a second-round pick.

Boston also got a $12,909,090 trade exception.

The Cavaliers have sure taken notice.

Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein of ESPN:

Report: Cavaliers talking with Celtics about facilitating three-team trade | ProBasketballTalk

I agree with that, it's a testament to the amount of Centers who are emerging in the league this year. Really a huge difference compared to a few years ago.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's Dragic's incentive to stay if they miss the playoffs? He seems set on at least testing the market after this year, the Suns may have to take what they can get if things are looking bad for them around the trade deadline.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are playing their best basketball right now and have a 13-6 record with all 3 PG's playing. Now that they are all healthy, I want to give this thing a chance.

They lost 2 games at the buzzer on very, very lucky bounces (Blake Griffin 3 & Kris Middleton mid-range fader) during that losing streak. They could easily be 18-12 right now if those took a different bounce. Crazy how the game works.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are playing their best basketball right now and have a 13-6 record with all 3 PG's playing. Now that they are all healthy, I want to give this thing a chance.

They lost 2 games at the buzzer on very, very lucky bounces (Blake Griffin 3 & Kris Middleton mid-range fader) during that losing streak. They could easily be 18-12 right now if those took a different bounce. Crazy how the game works.

Doesn't matter how well the 3 are playing. The Suns need a big. At this point, the best you can hope for is to be the D'Antoni/Nash Suns v.2. If they get a serviceable big who can score down low and defend the paint, they could make some real noise in the West.

The problem is, they will likely have to give up one of those PG's to get the big they need.