• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabbatical Recommendations (Baseball Stadiums)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been granted a sabbatical at work, most of July and August.

For the sabbatical I am planning on a week in the Rocky Mountains, a family reunion in Nebraska over the July 4 weekend, and then a 30 day tour of baseball stadiums (with games) that I have not visited. And visiting friends along the way. The plan now is Milwaukee, Chicago (White Sox), Detroit, Cleveland, (All Star Break) maybe the Toledo (Mudhens), Cooperstown, Niagara Falls, (After All Star Break) Toronto, Pittsburgh (Giants), Cincinnati (Giants), St. Louis, Kansas City, Arlington Texas (Rangers), Houston, Tampa Bay, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle (I have been to the old Kingdome, but not the new stadium), and home. That leaves the only stadiums I have not visited are in New York (Mets and Yankees) and Philadelphia. I couldn't make those work this time. I have friends in the bolded cities.

Might you have any recommendations about any of those stadiums/cities? I have been looking into driving, taking the train, and flying between several of those cities. Thanks!

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a very packed but very fun sabbatical! I have not attended any games in those cities so I'd be of no help there. Hope you find your time restful.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a very packed but very fun sabbatical! I have not attended any games in those cities so I'd be of no help there. Hope you find your time restful.

Thanks. I am doing some rethinking of this. It's a lot of travel. And there is quite a bit of game-fly-game-fly-game-drive. It is exciting to plan, but I am thinking about the ability to enjoy myself rather than "I gotta get to the airport for the next city". So we will see.

I may cut out Miami/Tampa, and maybe NYC/Philly. Still, it should be some fun. If I survive. :D

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I am doing some rethinking of this. It's a lot of travel. And there is quite a bit of game-fly-game-fly-game-drive. It is exciting to plan, but I am thinking about the ability to enjoy myself rather than "I gotta get to the airport for the next city". So we will see.

I may cut out Miami/Tampa, and maybe NYC/Philly. Still, it should be some fun. If I survive. :D
Yeah, I understand that. Its fun to see how much you can pack into a trip but can be less fun to actually do it. Glad you have the sense to reevaluate.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well gents (and Moxie), I am 25 days into a 50 day roadie. I have seen games in St. Louis, KC, Milwaukee, Chicago (White Sox), Detroit, Cleveland, and tonight Toronto. Tomorrow is Pittsburgh (a lengthy drive). So far so good. I think I am stalking the Blue Jays because of the 9 games I have seen (two in Chicago were a double header), five of them have been the Jays.

I took a picture of the Rogers Centre scoreboard tonight and it just hit me wrong.

1689392385988.png

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well gents (and Moxie), I am 25 days into a 50 day roadie. I have seen games in St. Louis, KC, Milwaukee, Chicago (White Sox), Detroit, Cleveland, and tonight Toronto. Tomorrow is Pittsburgh (a lengthy drive). So far so good. I think I am stalking the Blue Jays because of the 9 games I have seen (two in Chicago were a double header), five of them have been the Jays.

I took a picture of the Rogers Centre scoreboard tonight and it just hit me wrong.

View attachment 334317
@calsnowskier 's favorite player!

Stokes, I've been wondering how your trip is going. Good to hear from you! Sounds like you are having fun. Hope you are getting some time to relax in between all those stops (well, I guess not watching the Giants can be relaxing).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@calsnowskier 's favorite player!

Stokes, I've been wondering how your trip is going. Good to hear from you! Sounds like you are having fun. Hope you are getting some time to relax in between all those stops (well, I guess not watching the Giants can be relaxing).
Pittsburgh will be my 12th city in 12 days. That gets old. FWP. Will be in Cincinnati for four days, so get to settle in a little. Should have done this as a younger man!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh will be my 12th city in 12 days. That gets old. FWP. Will be in Cincinnati for four days, so get to settle in a little. Should have done this as a younger man!
My dad and his childhood friend did this a while back, maybe their mid 60s. I think 12 games in 2 weeks

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 334317
That is so phuking awesome Stoksie. That's my dream vacation.

(The wife is NOT on board).

Have fun!!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have fun!!
Go with your buddy like my dad did

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife:

Cool, cool. You can pick up the divorce papers when you get back.
That's a little uptight of her. You aren't allowed to take a vacation with your buddy?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have fun!!
My wife grew up in SF, going to Giants/49ers game with her dad (Kezar and the Stick), and Warriors games at the Cow Palace. She was with me for the first 17 days (seeing friends, a family reunion, then games). She saw games in St. Louis, KC, Milwaukee and Chicago. We will meet up in Dallas and see the Rangers there. Overall, it has been great. Except the traveling. Per usual, I bit off more than I could chew. It might have been more enjoyable to do more games in fewer cities, get to explore the area. Still, I will be in Cincinnati for four days, New York City for three days, Houston for three days, and Dallas for four days (with stops in Philly, Tampa, Miami and the ATL in between). I must say, the ticket prices are insane. I guess I haven't been to many MLB games lately. Cheap seats and Yankee Stadium are $81, but cheaper on resellers. Just bought a ticket for SF-PIT for $20, but it had a $12 fee tacked on. My plan was more games, but I am adjusting to fewer games but better seats.

Last bit for now, go with someone. I loved having my wife along to at least talk to. Baseball is about chatter, like the board. Going to a game and not knowing anyone and having no one to talk to (being an introvert) is less optimal than sharing a game with a friend. Just my 2 cents.

If you get a chance to do something like this, do it! And if you want to chat about my experience (once it is over), I'd love to do it. There is a book I bought on Amazon that detailed all stadiums, and the history and surrounding area, what to see, where to stay, etc. I has been helpful.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you've already been there, it seems like a hole in the plans to go to Chicago as a baseball purist on a baseball sabbatical and not fit in a game at Wrigley.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you've already been there, it seems like a hole in the plans to go to Chicago as a baseball purist on a baseball sabbatical and not fit in a game at Wrigley.

the plan was to visit stadiums I have not been to. I have been to Wrigley, Fenway, Camden Yards, Nationals, Target Field, Petco, Chavez Ravine, Angels, A’s, Rockies, Arizona, Seattle (Kingdome), Giants. Now add the aforementioned stadiums, with more to come.

with the new scheduling, I just could not make it work with the Cubs and White Sox in town at the same time. Almost true in NY where the Mets end a home stand and the Yanks begin one the next day. I am on version 12 of the itinerary and tried to make it work. I’d have preferred a Cubs game in Chicago.