• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabbatical Recommendations (Baseball Stadiums)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is quite doable if you pick a region To focus on.
Yep they were all northeast and midwest. Don't remember the order or every city but it was like Boston, NY, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago (first and last, Cubs and Sox), St Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnatti, Milwaukee and the like

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last of 20 games tonight, Marlins at Rangers at Globe Life Field. This is day 46 on the road. Will be returning home on Tuesday, my 50th day on the road. Some really good memories and loads of pictures to sort through. I had been to the Kingdome but not the new Seattle stadium, so I may make an overnight trip for a game I two weeks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last of 20 games tonight, Marlins at Rangers at Globe Life Field. This is day 46 on the road. Will be returning home on Tuesday, my 50th day on the road. Some really good memories and loads of pictures to sort through. I had been to the Kingdome but not the new Seattle stadium, so I may make an overnight trip for a game I two weeks.
GREAT bucket trip!

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that has been quite the sabbatical for you! Hope you have gotten some rest for your return to the church.

Speaking of Mariners, I went to an Angels' game last night (for the first time in probably 8 years!) and has the stadium experience changed! They dimmed the lights on the entire stadium for the entrance of their closer (who proceeded to walk the 1st 2 batters, allow a single, get a K and then give up a grand slam. We should be thankful we have Doval, although their closer, Estevez, has been having a good year). I couldn't help but think that 10 years ago it would have been practically impossible to turn off and then on the stadium lights like that. Man, has technology been advancing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, fellas, I am now home. Flew in from Dallas this morning. And I don't know what time zone I am in. :D

50 days of traveling. 20 games in 17 different ballparks.
That would have worn me out 30 years ago. Today, I would simply incapable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started thinking that maybe I had bitten off more than I could chew. On Day 10. :D
My dad took me on a 3 week trip to Europe when he was 56. No idea how he did it. I was a pain in the ass 16 year old (I took hammer and chisel to The Wall on my 16th bday)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, fellas, I am now home. Flew in from Dallas this morning. And I don't know what time zone I am in. :D

50 days of traveling. 20 games in 17 different ballparks.
Glad you made it back. Do you have a 200 picture powerpoint presentation that you will show to all guests at your house?

By the way, I am quite impressed at the fact you could pull off a trip like that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad took me on a 3 week trip to Europe when he was 56. No idea how he did it. I was a pain in the ass 16 year old (I took hammer and chisel to The Wall on my 16th bday)
For some reason, I thought you and I are about the same age. However, being 16 and chiseling the Wall makes me wonder if you've got a couple of years on me or if you were just there a few years after it came down (or both).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason, I thought you and I are about the same age. However, being 16 and chiseling the Wall makes me wonder if you've got a couple of years on me or if you were just there a few years after it came down (or both).
I was born in ’74. the Wall was freshly “down” when I was there. It was still physically there and there was a distinct difference between the west and the east. The west was clean with wide streets and street cafes while the East was dirty with broken windows. It was a shockingly stark contrast.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born in ’74. the Wall was freshly “down” when I was there. It was still physically there and there was a distinct difference between the west and the east. The west was clean with wide streets and street cafes while the East was dirty with broken windows. It was a shockingly stark contrast.
I also read that the west was colorful and the East was color-less and drab.

I graduated HS in ‘74 btw.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so you are 3 years older than me. I was born in '77.

That must have been a crazy experience to see that kind of contrast. Do you still have a piece of the Wall?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to go to Michaels and buy a nice frame for it, actually. I always know where it is, but I don’t display it…

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I completed my baseball stadium odyssey last night in Seattle. I had been to the Kingdome back in the day (Randy Johnson's last game pitched as a Mariner!), so felt compelled to visit the "new" stadium now called T-Mobile Park. Was not disappointed.

The stadium is easily accessible by light rail, although it did not seem like the trains ran any more frequently before or after the game. The stadium itself has a roof, but being relatively mild, the roof was open last night. It is much like Milwaukee, Houston and Texas as the roof slides open.

Both the Mariners and Royals are playing good baseball, and it was an entertaining game, though long, with a spectacular fireworks show after the game.

The Mariners hit the first pitch they saw for a home run, and the scoring continued through the evening. Looked like the Royals were going to get steamrolled, then they came back to make it close. (not a tzill approved game, much fecal matter on the mound)

The crowd (45,000+?) was electric. Since the M's have won 17 of their last 21 games, the crowd was amped up, loudly and enthusiastically cheering everything the M's did well.

Now onto the next bucket list!

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I completed my baseball stadium odyssey last night in Seattle. I had been to the Kingdome back in the day (Randy Johnson's last game pitched as a Mariner!), so felt compelled to visit the "new" stadium now called T-Mobile Park. Was not disappointed.

The stadium is easily accessible by light rail, although it did not seem like the trains ran any more frequently before or after the game. The stadium itself has a roof, but being relatively mild, the roof was open last night. It is much like Milwaukee, Houston and Texas as the roof slides open.

Both the Mariners and Royals are playing good baseball, and it was an entertaining game, though long, with a spectacular fireworks show after the game.

The Mariners hit the first pitch they saw for a home run, and the scoring continued through the evening. Looked like the Royals were going to get steamrolled, then they came back to make it close. (not a tzill approved game, much fecal matter on the mound)

The crowd (45,000+?) was electric. Since the M's have won 17 of their last 21 games, the crowd was amped up, loudly and enthusiastically cheering everything the M's did well.

Now onto the next bucket list!
I am curious, what is next on your list?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious, what is next on your list?

Sleep! :D

I have two more domestic bucket lists:

1) National Parks (63): already visited (27) Arches, Badlands, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Crater Lake, Death Valley, Denali, Gateway Arch, Glacier, Glacier Bay, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Great Basin, Isle Royale, Joshua Tree, Kings Canyon, Mammoth Cave, Mount Rainier, North Cascades, Olympic, Pinnacles, Redwood, Sequoia, Teddy Roosevelt, Voyageurs, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Zion.

Will most likely not make it to American Samoa, nor the ones in Hawaii, nor the Florida parks (Everglades, Dry Tortugas, etc.) though I skirted the north edge of the Everglades driving from Tampa to Miami and almost was tempted to take an airboat ride. Almost.

2) Presidential Libraries/Museums: have already visited the Carter Center and FDR Museum. Alas, all my time in SoCal and never visited Nixon nor Reagan Libraries.