• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When people laughed about Romos contract

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont think there is a time to rebuild when you have a good qb. Last yr at this time our starting Dline was Ware, Hatcher, Ratliffe, and Spencer. We had a 2nd yr 6th pick of the draft playing 1 CB and a 50 million dollar man at the other one. The sad thing is the slot CB has been better than both. Mix that in with Lee, Carter, and Durant- thats a pretty good group IMO. The injuries cut into the 8-8 record. Now this yr on paper it doesnt look near as good on that side but the offense looks the same if not better.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont think there is a time to rebuild when you have a good qb. Last yr at this time our starting Dline was Ware, Hatcher, Ratliffe, and Spencer. We had a 2nd yr 6th pick of the draft playing 1 CB and a 50 million dollar man at the other one. The sad thing is the slot CB has been better than both. Mix that in with Lee, Carter, and Durant- thats a pretty good group IMO. The injuries cut into the 8-8 record. Now this yr on paper it doesnt look near as good on that side but the offense looks the same if not better.

If the cap wasn't fucked every year, Dallas would be able to afford to have some decent depth behind it's starters. Every team suffers injuries in the NFL, the season is itself a battle of attrition. Dallas just never has enough horses to finish the race these past few years. It would be real nice to have actual NFL caliber football players in backup positions in case of the eventual injury to a key player. We haven't had that for a while. Dallas won't have it again until the cap gets fixed - or Dallas has a phenomenal run drafting players. They have been drafting better, however, minus these last few trades.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont think there is a time to rebuild when you have a good qb.

I agree with this in 2014. The ideal time to do it would have been 2011,2012. Those teams were fringe playoff contenders at best, and were not capable of winning anything important. It would have been nice to blow the team up there and clean out all the bad contracts.

But like you said, there is no time to do it anymore, Romo is 34 and has an offense that can compete with anyone. Gotta roll the dice now. Too bad the defense isn't NFL caliber.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this in 2014. The ideal time to do it would have been 2011,2012. Those teams were fringe playoff contenders at best, and were not capable of winning anything important. It would have been nice to blow the team up there and clean out all the bad contracts.

But like you said, there is no time to do it anymore, Romo is 34 and has an offense that can compete with anyone. Gotta roll the dice now. Too bad the defense isn't NFL caliber.

I think as fans you hope for better than average health, the offense being all that and a defense that ranks somewhere between 18-23. In this division, that competes.....IMO

for years I've said it's about playoff advancement. That's still the case but you gotta get in and I think we're in the best division for that

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the extension. I was quoting him.

$5M??? way off from what I saw. I thought it was over $12M. Also, Portraying it as if it is better because it is a year he won't be on the team is sugar coating. To me it's worse. I'd rather incur a guy's cap hit while I am getting something out of him. Dead money is the worst kind of cap hit to have IMO unless it's done to save cap space after cutting a player.

Sorry didn't catch that you we're quoting that, but it didn't come off as "since" by either of you. No big deal.

As for the 5M in dead money that was just off the top of my head on the amount of his guaranteed that was pushed into 2018. I don't think he sees the final two years of the deal. If he's released prior to 2018 it is simply dead money sooner. Hopefully there is no more redoing his contract going forward.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's no secret I'm a Romo fan but two years ago we redid multiple contracts to sign Romo. I went on record then we should teaser every aging vet for Draft picks and rebuild. It was the right time. As soon as they restructured the contracts to resign Romo the rebuild idea was a dead issue.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as fans you hope for better than average health, the offense being all that and a defense that ranks somewhere between 18-23. In this division, that competes.....IMO

for years I've said it's about playoff advancement. That's still the case but you gotta get in and I think we're in the best division for that

I think that is the absolute best case scenario for this defense. I hope it can be a middle of the pack unit, but for that to happen Dallas will need a lot of things to go their way. Melton will have to be what he was pre-injury, he has big shoes to fill; need Claiborne to finally show the fuck up; WIlcox will have to be able to lock down FS position; Lawrence will have to be a legitimate pass rush threat; need to find a legit MLB. Lot's of question marks for a defense that was as bad as any I have ever seen. I would be ecstatic with a top 20 defense. Here's hoping :yahoo:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is the absolute best case scenario for this defense. I hope it can be a middle of the pack unit, but for that to happen Dallas will need a lot of things to go their way. Melton will have to be what he was pre-injury, he has big shoes to fill; need Claiborne to finally show the fuck up; WIlcox will have to be able to lock down FS position; Lawrence will have to be a legitimate pass rush threat; need to find a legit MLB. Lot's of question marks for a defense that was as bad as any I have ever seen. I would be ecstatic with a top 20 defense. Here's hoping :yahoo:

Full of hope ... as most of us are

Lawrence has already been declared a 3rd down "situational" guy ...... might wanna hold the faith back on that one
Melton off ACL ... only seen one do it and that was AP ... and he took a huge numbers drop just to be on the field

If we arent the worst defense in the league this year .... Rod is one of if not the greatest defensive coaches of all time ............ That's reality

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lawrence has already been declared a 3rd down "situational" guy ...... might wanna hold the faith back on that one
Melton off ACL ... only seen one do it and that was AP ... and he took a huge numbers drop just to be on the field

If we arent the worst defense in the league this year .... Rod is one of if not the greatest defensive coaches of all time ............ That's reality

I'm honestly not that hopeful. I see Dallas finishing in the bottom 5 of the league in defense again. I think Marinelli will help some, but I don't think he has enough tools to work with this year. Losing Sean Lee was HUGE, with him in the lineup I could honestly see a top 20 defense. Without Lee the prospects are pretty bleak IMO. Wilcox is still a year away from being a solid Safety I think, too steep of a learning curve to have it figured out after 1 year. Melton is reportedly behind schedule in his rehab. And I don't have any faith in Claiborne, I think he is a bust. I think Lawrence can contribute this year, not as a 3 down player, but he will see plenty of opportunities to rush the passer. This defense is at least another year and another good draft away from being respectable.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The exact point I've made all offseason. Just who is it in this division that is so unbeatable? I think Philly played over their talent level last year. I expect a huge drop off for Foles. I like him, but come on...he isn't Joe Montana, but he played like him last year. People here complain about our WRs. Look at Philly's. I think our OL will be very good, I think our DL has added depth and will be good except for possibly rushing the passer which concerns me greatly and is why I think Lawrence was a good pick (not the trade). If Lee was healthy I don't see a team better than us in this division even with our flaws. Without Lee I certainly don't see winning the division as likely, but I sure think its possible and I think we will be in the mix like we have been the last few years. Like I said the other day. I am going to enjoy the ride either way and can't wait for the season to start. I think all the whining on here this offseason is just that, especially about the draft which I still think was OK. I think if Romo is basically healthy the team that is starting this year is better than the team that finished last year and that team was a win from the playoffs.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our starting roster on both sides of the ball rated 18th best out of 32. The ratings were done by ESPN. They had Philly at 5. The Giants were about 20th and Skins late 20s. We had 4 high quality starters on offense and 3 more considered good, whereas on defense the only good one was Melton. Everyone else was average or below

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our starting roster on both sides of the ball rated 18th best out of 32. The ratings were done by ESPN. They had Philly at 5. The Giants were about 20th and Skins late 20s. We had 4 high quality starters on offense and 3 more considered good, whereas on defense the only good one was Melton. Everyone else was average or below

The ratings were done by ESPN.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sadly, this is reality. Our offense should be so strong this year(provided Romo is OK), that the talk of us winning 3-4 is absurd. However, our defense is going to suck at an Epic level, so anything past 8-8 to 9-7 would be straight luck. I am going to be sick over this year's draft class till proven otherwise. Calvin Pryor over Zach Martin in the first round, though it's hard to rip that pick, as Martin IS going to be an excellent player. The next four rounds....disgusting.... I am no player director, but Jerry and company netted Lawrence, Hitchens and Street the next 3 rounds....with better players sitting there....all he had to do was take them. IMO, Pryor(or Martin), Ealy, Nix, Bradford and Huff will blow away our draft. As they say, we shall see

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are more than on record how you feel about this draft. One would think after a month....well, guess not

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, this is reality. Our offense should be so strong this year(provided Romo is OK), that the talk of us winning 3-4 is absurd. However, our defense is going to suck at an Epic level, so anything past 8-8 to 9-7 would be straight luck. I am going to be sick over this year's draft class till proven otherwise. Calvin Pryor over Zach Martin in the first round, though it's hard to rip that pick, as Martin IS going to be an excellent player. The next four rounds....disgusting.... I am no player director, but Jerry and company netted Lawrence, Hitchens and Street the next 3 rounds....with better players sitting there....all he had to do was take them. IMO, Pryor(or Martin), Ealy, Nix, Bradford and Huff will blow away our draft. As they say, we shall see

We could not have gotten Huff in the 5th. Josh Huff that is

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are more than on record how you feel about this draft. One would think after a month....well, guess not

Yep, and I'll be ripping the 2nd-4th rounds for the next couple of years so deal with it

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and I'll be ripping the 2nd-4th rounds for the next couple of years

That makes 2 of us ......... That said I'll admit I'm wrong IF PROVEN .... got no hopes of that happening though ..... I think we pissed away a draft .... not just a draft the deepest draft in history

and saw the same optimism .... after the Roy Williams trade when we drafted for special teams ....

fine line between the doom and gloom guys ... and the optimist guys .... the ones in the middle are usually right

3 straight 8-8 seasons prove that

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes 2 of us ......... That said I'll admit I'm wrong IF PROVEN .... got no hopes of that happening though ..... I think we pissed away a draft .... not just a draft the deepest draft in history

and saw the same optimism .... after the Roy Williams trade when we drafted for special teams ....

fine line between the doom and gloom guys ... and the optimist guys .... the ones in the middle are usually right

3 straight 8-8 seasons prove that

Agreed, I hope we are both wrong, and that Jerry Jones, after 25 years as GM, with an entire college scouting department and millions of dollars at his disposal could do better than a couple of fans posting on a forum. Sadly, I think the guys we would have picked in rounds 2-5 will blow away the picks he made, and that is truly sad.