• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's wrong with our defense ?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because he built the championship defense, which Pete did, that doesn't mean he makes the play call's during the game... That's what a DC is for ... That's the same as saying Pete runs the offense and not Bevell ... clearly Bevell runs the show there.. Pete can over-ride anything if he thinks it's not working, but so far I see the same strategy I"ve seen since day 1 of Richards debut ... Cover 2 can leave safeties 1 on 1 deep... That's not a great strategy if there hurt ... Look I hope we improve, but some serious changes are needed... We need to get back to what were good at ... Losing Max did not alter this defense that much, we still have enough talent to be better than what we are right now...

And you really think that Carroll has just laid back in the cut and allowed him to alter the defense away from what has been so successful, for 11 games, with no interventio? That just doesn't seem as logical as, they're not right and the defense has to try to compensate for it.

Last edited:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you really think that Carroll has just laid back in the cut and allowed him to alter the defense away from what has been so successful, for 11 games, with no interventio? That just doesn't seem as logical as, they're not right and the defense has to try to compensate for it.

Depends how far the intervention goes... Obviously Pete's talked to him and there communicating but I think on game-day the DC makes the call's ... Otherwise Pete might as well just take over...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cover 1 and cover 3 require more range from your safeties than cover 2. Because we've had that range the past few years, it's why the Hawks have used it so much. Now, possibly they feel like that elite range isn't there, so they send two safeties deep to try and keep the play in front of them.

True ... But how has Earl lost a step ? He hurt his shoulder not his legs... He's only 26 years old .. I"m still seeing him fly around, sure he's missed some play's but he's still moving...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there have been some of those plays where there was some kind of breakdown (Winning TD vs Carolina), but those aren't what I'm talking about, I'm talking about a d-back in perfect trail position, but the QB simply makes the perfect throw anyway.

I can live with that... As long as someone is there challenging the play... It's the breakdowns that have just killed us early on this season...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't recall our safeties being one on one deep very often. Seems to always be a corner one on one ( where's the help?) and getting beat.

I think were getting hit underneath with passes before we see it most of the time ... The cover 2 that is.. Last year we were man to man or cover 3 almost exclusively ... This year were definitely seeing different stuff.. I have noticed Earl on one side of the field more than usual .. Which tell's me it's most likely a man 2 safeties deep or a cover 2 ... I"m seeing a lot of zone coverages though, seem's like more cover 2 than we've seen in a long time... It's tough to notice though if we get hit with a quick pass... But it's obviously a zone of some sort ..

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends how far the intervention goes... Obviously Pete's talked to him and there communicating but I think on game-day the DC makes the call's ... Otherwise Pete might as well just take over...

If this week three, maybe I can see it. But at this point, with how much they've used c-2, I have to believe that Carroll is fine with how much they're using it, even if the fans aren't

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True ... But how has Earl lost a step ? He hurt his shoulder not his legs... He's only 26 years old .. I"m still seeing him fly around, sure he's missed some play's but he's still moving...

It doesn't need to be a knee injury to lose range. We've seen missed tackles and bad angles, both of which could be due to him favoring a side of his body. Earl can obviously still run, but to play that single high stuff, it's not just about running, it's just as much as about discipline because one false move when you're the ONLY guy back there and you're giving up a big play. And let's not pretend that we haven't seen that this year too. Earl is still one of the best, but he's not playing to his all world standard. And that single high stuff requires it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say why. Missing a lot of time training his body? Missing time in camp? Not reading the defense as quickly due to missed time? Hard to say exactly, but he's arriving late on coverage. He's not tackling as well. He still working his way back to being a 100%, that to me has been the difference. Kam as well. This should improve, just a matter of how long.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say why. Missing a lot of time training his body? Missing time in camp? Not reading the defense as quickly due to missed time? Hard to say exactly, but he's arriving late on coverage. He's not tackling as well. He still working his way back to being a 100%, that to me has been the difference. Kam as well. This should improve, just a matter of how long.

Man I hope we can improve down the stretch... Let's start with Minnesota....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I hope we can improve down the stretch... Let's start with Minnesota....
How can we not? It's the 31st ranked passing offense. Then we play Matt Schaub. Then the Browns at home. We'll be back in the top 5 easy after that stretch.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can we not? It's the 31st ranked passing offense. Then we play Matt Schaub. Then the Browns at home. We'll be back in the top 5 easy after that stretch.

Well, as long as we don't leave receivers WIDE open we should be fine... Any QB will find that... So let's just clean it up, and stay disciplined with our assignments...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense pitched a shut-out today and they did while holding the NFL rushing leader to only 18 yards. Great all around game against a quality team, early start, on the road.

Oh ya............................Russell's the man!!!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense pitched a shut-out today and they did while holding the NFL rushing leader to only 18 yards. Great all around game against a quality team, early start, on the road.

Yeah, amazing the difference it makes facing Bridegwater and no-name receivers vs Fat Ben and his trio of burners.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not bad, but remember that you played possible the worst offense the league and it was Turner that shut down AP...not saying he would have had a great game, but he gets better as the game goes on.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad, but remember that you played possible the worst offense the league and it was Turner that shut down AP...not saying he would have had a great game, but he gets better as the game goes on.
It was complete domination of that offense. When you're down by 5 TDs, the running game is sort of taken out of the picture unless you're just running for the sake of trying to get the guy some stats. He had 10 yards at the half, for goodness sake.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was complete domination of that offense. When you're down by 5 TDs, the running game is sort of taken out of the picture unless you're just running for the sake of trying to get the guy some stats. He had 10 yards at the half, for goodness sake.

He had five carries in the half. You're right it was complete domination...in all phases of the game including coaching. I'm just not giving you the stopping Peterson, he should have had 15 carries in the first half. I wouldn't limited his carries after going down by 7.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had five carries in the half. You're right it was complete domination...in all phases of the game including coaching. I'm just not giving you the stopping Peterson, he should have had 15 carries in the first half. I wouldn't limited his carries after going down by 7.
I hear ya. I guess I file this in the category of: if your offense can only do one thing, you're going to get clamped on against a defense as good as Seattle's. There wasn't much happening on the ground at any point.... maybe they were trying to open things up a bit by hitting some short passes?