• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the plan for Jon Allen if Newton flashes?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a passing league now and WRs have become the second most important position in the game, supplanting LT. Teams can no longer get by with one, and the trend is towards having at least two top-end guys but preferably three. I am not counting TEs, so here's a sampling.

Miami... Tyreek Hill, Jayden Waddle, Odell Beckham Jr.
Seattle... DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett
N.Y. Jets... Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams
Minnesota Vikings... Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison
Detroit Lions...Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jameson Williams (Donovan Peoples-Jones)
S.F 49ers... Deebo Samuels and Brandon Aiyuk ( Ricky Pearsall)
Cincinnati Bengals...Jamarr Chase and Tee Higgins
Cleveland Browns... Amari Cooper, Elijah Moore, Jerry Jeudy
L.A. Rams... Puka Nacua, Cooper Kupp, Demarcus Robinson, Tutu Atwell
Tennessee Titans... DeAndre Hopkins, Calvin Ridley, Treylon Burks, Tyler Boyd
Tampa Bay... Mike Evans, Chris Godwin
Philadelphia Eagles... AJ Brown, DeVonta Smith
Houston Texans... Nico Collins, Stefon Diggs, Tank Dell
Chicago Bears... DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, (Rome Odunze)

Does that lead to success though? KC, Baltimore, and Dallas were among the best or the best in the league last season.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This roster remake has gotten down to the more difficult calls going forward. I believe that somewhere close to half if not more of last years team is gone and if you guys are looking at Allen being moved, the next big name, high dollar veteran who's a virtual lock to be playing elsewhere in 2025 is Terry McLaurin.
I believe it is up to half. Nine draft picks, a bunch of promising UDFA, at least 10 free agent signings………the roster is primed for turnover in the new regime, and I think we can all think of at least 10 Rivera-draft picks that could be out next year if the new coaching staff can’t figure out how to turn them around Into productive players.

It’s an indictment into how bad things were when you have that much turnover in Year One of a new coach/front office. Even worse when we went through the same thing four years ago.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRs are becoming a dime a dozen so paying terry big money is a no go. If we are contenders this year we keep them both , if not then we wont
While WRs are important now I have been thinking along the same lines as you that WRs are on their way to RB status. Because today's NFL is more of a passing league guys are going to have better stats and draw the type of attention that used to be given to RBs.

TEs are not far behind.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While WRs are important now I have been thinking along the same lines as you that WRs are on their way to RB status. Because today's NFL is more of a passing league guys are going to have better stats and draw the type of attention that used to be given to RBs.

TEs are not far behind.
I actually think that TE’s, especially if more come in the mold of Brock Bowers, might become your pre-eminent threat and the players who are getting paid the most money.

At some point, the WR bubble is going to pop as far as pay goes. Because as passing usage and yards conitinues to go up for offenses, so too do individual stats. The focus on paying some of these players is going to go away, as the ‘next man up’ philosophy is sure to take hold especially when we are talking about the slot.

The emphasis on getting players who can actually line up anywhere on the field- like Bowers, CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson- is going to take priority over position.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i forget his name,but peters brought in a well traveled dt in yesterday to try out.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that lead to success though? KC, Baltimore, and Dallas were among the best or the best in the league last season.
It's a copycat league, and success is relative, The greatest example of that can be seen on this board when there are already predictions that a successful season is a doubling of last year's wins! For us, a team like Houston had a successful last season, but I'll bet that despite the good fortune in the W/L column few if any within that organization are happy with the results not ending with an SB title.

Btw; when organizations are paying QBs the rising costs that they are, cuts elsewhere have to be the result and greater reliance upon what he does is the focal point. Who takes the hit, well, running backs, who were once heralded as the heart and souls of the game.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think that TE’s, especially if more come in the mold of Brock Bowers, might become your pre-eminent threat and the players who are getting paid the most money.

At some point, the WR bubble is going to pop as far as pay goes. Because as passing usage and yards conitinues to go up for offenses, so too do individual stats. The focus on paying some of these players is going to go away, as the ‘next man up’ philosophy is sure to take hold especially when we are talking about the slot.

The emphasis on getting players who can actually line up anywhere on the field- like Bowers, CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson- is going to take priority over position.
I don't think so, the TE trend has already had its day, and although still important the game becomes ruined if you're paying your running backs, TEs, and WRs discounted prices simply because your QB is commanding the lion's share of the salary cap. There is a better way and it has been discussed by team owners, put aside but will be resurrected at some point soon.

Report: NFL owners discussed QB salary cap amid booming market

Jun 23, 2024 · The booming quarterback market appears to have raised red flags among NFL owners, with some discussing the possibility of a salary cap at the position, NFL Media's Tom Pelissero told Rich...

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so, the TE trend has already had its day, and although still important the game becomes ruined if you're paying your running backs, TEs, and WRs discounted prices simply because your QB is commanding the lion's share of the salary cap. There is a better way and it has been discussed by team owners, put aside but will be resurrected at some point soon.

Report: NFL owners discussed QB salary cap amid booming market

Jun 23, 2024 · The booming quarterback market appears to have raised red flags among NFL owners, with some discussing the possibility of a salary cap at the position, NFL Media's Tom Pelissero told Rich...
it will be hard to do that for one position.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will be hard to do that for one position.
Agreed, but not impossible.
As quiet as it's kept, there's a salary cap on RBs right now all done with no formal announcements, no fanfare, and little opposition.

There are two QB stories that I'm monitoring right now to see how they are handled.

Dak Prescott in Dallas and Brock Purdy in San Francisco.

Here's what I can see happening in both instances. (don't hold me to it... it's speculative)

1. Dallas allowing Dak to find employment elsewhere with few takers at the 55-60M+ going rate. Plenty of teams will want him but few will be willing to crash their salary caps for his services, and/or at the expense of weakening their teams. The team owners probably have already talked about this and will use his situation as fodder for getting the cap under control.

2. San Francisco low-balling Brock Purdy under the notion that he's replaceable and not worth the going rate of 50 to 60M+ per and the further cost of disbanding what amounts to an all-star team. (At least offensively)

Jordan Love in Green Bay is another but historically the Packers are very creative when signing young QBs who had to sit before becoming their starter.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t plan using outliers , I plan on an expected projectory based on historical data . I hope for the b best but I don’t plan for the best . The Texans are the Texans not the commanders or anyone else . I believe we are trending in the right direction . But it has to show up on the field

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Dotson bounces back and has a huge year and I'm high on Luke McCaffrey and this may be our best Tightend room in years

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Dotson bounces back and has a huge year and I'm high on Luke McCaffrey and this may be our best Tightend room in years
Let's say that you're right on everything. Dotson bounces back and McCaffrey becomes something very useful. They would still have a WR2 in the WR1 spot (TM) a slot guy in the WR2 spot (JD) and a bit of redundancy with slot guys if the rookie comes through.

I think that I'm going to make a prediction now... Washington will get another receiver before the start of the season via trade, or free agency (cuts).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3