• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the 2nd most important position in football after QB?

Most important position after QB?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd most important position is MLB. I don't care where they are drafted, they are the brains of the defense as many others have said. They are more often than not the signal caller on defense and that is key.

Sorry brother but not even close. If they were important they'd get drafted high and they NEVER go in the top 10. There hasn't been one drafted in the top 5 in decades.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 QB
#2 OL
#3 DL
#4 WR
#5 TE
#6 K

That's how I would build a team in today's NFL.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guard. The best guard in the league can dominate and open up lanes that an average back can run through. There's a reason O line makes more money than RBs do. It's because they are worth more.

Then why do guards make 1/4 of what LTS make. Guard is waaaaaay down on any GMS list. They are a dime a dozen. LTS arent. Evan Mathis was all pro and got cut and didn't get picked up for months. Then he got 2 mill per from Denver. If an all pro LT got cut every team would throw 10 million at him the same day.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why do guards make 1/4 of what LTS make. Guard is waaaaaay down on any GMS list. They are a dime a dozen. LTS arent. Evan Mathis was all pro and got cut and didn't get picked up for months. Then he got 2 mill per from Denver. If an all pro LT got cut every team would throw 10 million at him the same day.

Again, we're not talking about LT. He was asking me would I rather have a guard or a RB.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry brother but not even close. If they were important they'd get drafted high and they NEVER go in the top 10. There hasn't been one drafted in the top 5 in decades.
I don't really equate draft position to importance. If that were the case no one would ever need a kicker or punter. No one drafts for ST, but don't put any on the field and you are going to lose every game.

The most important players IMO are the ones that have the most impact on the entire team. leadership positions.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fullback is a lost art, and I respect every fullback left in the league highly. They are risking a hell of a lot more than anyone else on the starting 22, because guarantee you they make the least, and they have to stick their head in there and make key blocks. Though I'm not sure if half of the teams even field a FB anymore.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fullback is a lost art, and I respect every fullback left in the league highly. They are risking a hell of a lot more than anyone else on the starting 22, because guarantee you they make the least, and they have to stick their head in there and make key blocks. Though I'm not sure if half of the teams even field a FB anymore.
I remember the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers having a guy named Mike Alstott. He's supposed to be the last superstar fullyback. I remember dominating with him in Madden (3 yards guaranteed every single time).

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really equate draft position to importance. If that were the case no one would ever need a kicker or punter. No one drafts for ST, but don't put any on the field and you are going to lose every game.

The most important players IMO are the ones that have the most impact on the entire team. leadership positions.

Why does every GM in the league disagree with you then? ST players don't go in the 1st cause there are more important positions. MLB don't go in the top 10 cause there are more important position. JIMMY JOHNSON said it himself. "Never ever ever resign ILB FA. Use that money for OLINE and DLine."

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe 10+ years ago, IDK about anymore.

IMO you can have the top 4 DL in the league, but if you can't make the QB hold the ball long enough to get to him it won't matter. Vice-versa you can have the best secondary in the league, but if the QB can stand back and gets 6 seconds to throw every time he drops back...no one can cover cleanly that long.

So secondary and DL are key, but they are dependent on each other. You can hide a weak OL with schemes, slants and screens. But you can't hide a disorganized defense. You need someone that can recognize and make adjustments on the field for the defense, call audibles. Dallas defense is noticeably different when Sean Lee is off the field.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers having a guy named Mike Alstott. He's supposed to be the last superstar fullyback. I remember dominating with him in Madden (3 yards guaranteed every single time).

Moose

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO you can have the top 4 DL in the league, but if you can't make the QB hold the ball long enough to get to him it won't matter. Vice-versa you can have the best secondary in the league, but if the QB can stand back and gets 6 seconds to throw every time he drops back...no one can cover cleanly that long.

So secondary and DL are key, but they are dependent on each other. You can hide a weak OL with schemes, slants and screens. But you can't hide a disorganized defense. You need someone that can recognize and make adjustments on the field for the defense, call audibles. Dallas defense is noticeably different when Sean Lee is off the field.
Idealistically, you got 4 studs rushing the passer and drop back into nickel coverage every time and you got them. I'm not worried about rushing plays anymore.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does every GM in the league disagree with you then? ST players don't go in the 1st cause there are more important positions. MLB don't go in the top 10 cause there are more important position. JIMMY JOHNSON said it himself. "Never ever ever resign ILB FA. Use that money for OLINE and DLine."

Because I can hide a weak singular position on a line if the others around him are good. You can't hide a weak MLB.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you don't get pressure on the QB then it doesn't matter who you have back there anymore. Maybe CB or LB but IDK which one.

Watch two CBS go in the top 5 this year and 3 in the top 10. Then you'll see what GMS thing of DBs.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 people voted Center? Jesus. I can think of one Center drafted in the first round in the last decade and he went in the late 20s. If that was the 2nd most important position Centers would be the first pick in the draft and I doubt there's been a Center drafted in the top 20 in the last 1/4 century.

Are we just pretending like Maurkice Pouncey, the best center in football, wasn't drafted in the first round number 18 overall? He's started 62 games since being drafted in 2010.

Nick Mangold, another top 5 center, was drafted in the first round in 2006. He's started 152 games since being drafted.

Travis Frederick... also drafted in the first round... also a top 5 center in the league. Starting 47 games since being drafted in 2011.

Alex Mack, first round. 2009.

There's 4 in the last decade, and that's just out of a top 10 list made by scouts.com