• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the 2nd most important position in football after QB?

Most important position after QB?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I can hide a weak singular position on a line if the others around him are good. You can't hide a weak MLB.

Yes you can. Thats the pinnacle position of a player being protected by there DLine. I watched Kiko Alonzo go from DROY to bum cause he didn't get protected. MLB is supposed to be the easiest position on the D if you have a good DLine.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we just pretending like Maurkice Pouncey, the best center in football, wasn't drafted in the first round number 18 overall? He's started 62 games since being drafted in 2010.

Nick Mangold, another top 5 center, was drafted in the first round in 2006. He's started 152 games since being drafted.

Travis Frederick... also drafted in the first round... also a top 5 center in the league. Starting 47 games since being drafted in 2011.

Alex Mack, first round. 2009.

There's 4 in the last decade, and that's just out of a top 10 list made by scouts.com

Travis was 30 or 31 though, not top 20. I agree with your points though.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we just pretending like Maurkice Pouncey, the best center in football, wasn't drafted in the first round number 18 overall? He's started 62 games since being drafted in 2010.

Nick Mangold, another top 5 center, was drafted in the first round in 2006. He's started 152 games since being drafted.

Travis Frederick... also drafted in the first round... also a top 5 center in the league. Starting 47 games since being drafted in 2011.

There's 4 in the last decade, and that's just out of a top 10 list made by scouts.com

And they all went late. None in the first half of round 1.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you can. Thats the pinnacle position of a player being protected by there DLine. I watched Kiko Alonzo go from DROY to bum cause he didn't get protected. MLB is supposed to be the easiest position on the D if you have a good DLine.

Agree to disagree then. After watching years of MLB's that couldn't shed a block or figure out where the OL was trying to make a hole, I value a stud MLB who is also smart enough to be the signal caller over most other defensive positions.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You proved my point. The best two Centers in the league went 18 and 30. No where close to the critical top 5 picks which are alwaus QBS and LT.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left or right tackle, depending on the QB's blind side.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You proved my point. The best two Centers in the league went 18 and 30. No where close to the critical top 5 picks which are alwaus QBS and LT.

Just because they aren't going top 5 doesn't mean they're not critical. How's that top 5 quarterback going to do if he can't trust the guy in front of him to make the right line calls? Locate the blitzers? How's that LT going to do if he's fed the wrong protection by the center?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree then. After watching years of MLB's that couldn't shed a block or figure out where the OL was trying to make a hole, I value a stud MLB who is also smart enough to be the signal caller over most other defensive positions.

Deal but look at all the star MLBs. Everyone has a great DLINE in front and I can list 30 excellent ILBS and about 3 excellent LT or CB.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because they aren't going top 5 doesn't mean they're not critical. How's that top 5 quarterback going to do if he can't trust the guy in front of him to make the right line calls? Locate the blitzers? How's that LT going to do if he's fed the wrong protection by the center?

Every position is important. Chain is only as strong as it weakest link. But there's are reason Centers never ever go in the top 15 and rarely in the 1st round.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal but look at all the star MLBs. Everyone has a great DLINE in front and I can list 30 excellent ILBS and about 3 excellent LT or CB.

Lee has nothing for a line in front of him. That's why he gets so many tackles. A poor Mike will mean more tackles for the safeties.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every position is important. Chain is only as strong as it weakest link. But there's are reason Centers never ever go in the top 15 and rarely in the 1st round.
I'd also be interested to see the career length of a position tied to their draft position. Seems like Centers are rarely getting hurt and retiring. I know Pouncey is hurt recently, but it seems like a pretty stable position. Perhaps that is why there isn't so much draft need. You need one, and you have him for 5+ years. You need three starting CB's.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee has nothing for a line in front of him. That's why he gets so many tackles. A poor Mike will mean more tackles for the safeties.

True. ILB is different than a true 4-3 MLB though. There are just loads of excellent ILB. The Eagle D is awful but have 3 pro bowl quality ILBS and a 4th who was DROY. 3-4 ILB is waaaaaay down on the list
A 4-3 MLB is much more important

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers have had a good history with centers (Mike Webster, Dermonnti Dawson, Jeff Hartings, Justin Hartwig, & Markice Pouncey) and I think the most important role they serve is that of leadership on the offensive line. Seems to be more about attitude than it is about talent. Not sure if I would go for a center early on unless I was satisfied with the rest of my team first.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense to anyone who played center BTW, I'm sure you guys were real badasses en sech. I just think that position is based on intangible talent more than anything else. You're basically the glue that holds the offensive line together, but you're also the most easy to replace.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went with free safety, because it seems like the QB of the defense, is certainly the last line of defense, and is the one who who most makes or breaks the passing defense. A great FS effects coverages that can be played, helps make the CBs better, all of which allowing for sending the SS into the box to help in run support, and can himself make a strong contribution to run support.

I may be overestimating the position because of Earl Thomas-- but I think Thomas is the most (and maybe only) indispensable piece of the Seahawks defense.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O Line and D Line all the way around.

But D Line and CB's are pretty close on that side of the ball.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, for defense, I'd rate the most important positions maybe like this:

FS-- explained in the previous post
DT-- an elite pass-rushing DT is in my opinion even better than the same at DE. Getting pressure up the middle can get to the QB most quickly of all, and crucially can prevent QBs from stepping up into the pocket (which can make even sub-great DEs more effective). Add to this the importance of Great DTs in stopping the run, and it changes the way an offense must attack a defense. QBs like Brady for example perform at their worst when they're prevented from stepping up into the pocket because they're getting intense pressure from the interior of the trenches.
MLB
CB
DE
SS
OLB

And on offense:
LT
LG
TE
RT
RG
C
RB
WR

I guess ....

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys, once again, are falling into a logical hole...
There are two ways to answer this question.

What is the most important position?
1. "OVERALL" - making an analysis of what that position player does, how much he affects the game, etc.
But there is another way to answer that question that is just as valid:
2. "KEY" - How much more of an impact to winning does an elite player make compared to the others at that position.

A quarterback could be the most important position "overall," but if all the other QBs are almost as good, then it is not "key" to get the right guy in that position.

It seems we've been casually equivocating on these two definitions. Baseball fans understand this, and use the WAR stat to make this distinction.

Definition#2 is the more essential definition, btw.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am running a 3-4? NT.

I think it takes a very special talent to play all 3 downs as a 3-4 NT in this era of the NFL...might be as hard to find as a franchise QB...KC is fortunate to have one of those guys, but #2?

I think the old adage still holds true...1...QB, 2...blindside protector, 3...pass rusher

Teams are in nickel 60% of the snaps these days...I might even put slot CB as #6 after the two outside CBs.