• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Driver do you hit?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to spend $400 on a new driver

I bought a Callaway SR16 a few years ago that I like. I hit it straighter than I did my Taylormade R1.

I hate all the gimmicks TM comes out with. I am trying to stay away from them.

I’m with you. But it’s Father’s Day coming up and I need an upgrade and the TM 4 is $299. Flex face seems to be pretty cutting edge new tech

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but these players are not going to hit a driver they don’t like either. Tiger doesn’t need a couple extra million from TM, he wants majors

Yeah, agree but these guys are so good they could shoot even par with my bag or your bag. I still think that baseline equipment check means a lot for the lessor players and that's one reason TM is in so many bags.

Not saying the equipment is not up to par (pardon the pun) but they like being in the #1 Driver position from the tour and consumer marketing standpoint and they're willing to pay to stay in that position.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still use the driver that came in my set almost 20 years ago.

Fuck...I'm old.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m with you. But it’s Father’s Day coming up and I need an upgrade and the TM 4 is $299. Flex face seems to be pretty cutting edge new tech
ahh gotcha

well do what you want to do

I have a buddy who buys the newest TM every other year...I don't see how it improves his game, but he does it anyways.

then another friend who buys his old one.

it's a stupid cycle.

I'm a Callaway man now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to spend $400 on a new driver

I bought a Callaway SR16 a few years ago that I like. I hit it straighter than I did my Taylormade R1.

I hate all the gimmicks TM comes out with. I am trying to stay away from them.

The key to these new drivers I've been told numerous times (and yet to heed this myself)...to get the most out of these drivers...get it fitted.

I have kept mine in neutral since I bought it....I prefer to do the fitting outside at the range and have missed both opportunities to get it done for free with Titleist.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key to these new drivers I've been told numerous times (and yet to heed this myself)...to get the most out of these drivers...get it fitted.

I have kept mine in neutral since I bought it....I prefer to do the fitting outside at the range and have missed both opportunities to get it done for free with Titleist.
I hit my newest at Dicks for a while and had the guy there help me adjust it to best hit my drives. It helped.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Driver do you hit?

Does my wife count?

Last one a really hit about 10 years ago was a $50 no name solid steel driver I bought at Golf & Ski. Like swinging a weighted 1 iron. I was finally hitting drives straight for 285-295 yards. Just as I started to get my game under control, my legs went out of control. No more golf.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the correct shaft is more important then the club head.

The shaft is still the engine...the more consistent your swing is, the more you can benefit from a fitting...that's why the touring pros can get so dialed in. The avg Joe...if you have the same ball flight 80% of the time, they can tweak the face angles to get the max distance from your swing as well.

It's that player that's a 50/50 left/right miss...need lessons more than a driver.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still use the driver that came in my set almost 20 years ago.

Fuck...I'm old.

Similar...I'm using an old Orlimar driver from the late 90's. And I use a very flexible shaft and a higher degree of loft. I don't have a 100-MPH swing speed, so a 9.5-10.5 degree loft with a super stiff shaft (woooOOOO!) isn't going to get me down the fairway

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a buddy who buys the newest TM every other year...I don't see how it improves his game, but he does it anyways.

then another friend who buys his old one.

LOL...I don't get some of these guys. They're NEVER going to get much better than they are without some lessons (and maybe even not then), but every time there's a new driver out, they go waste big money on it... while the one they bought last year, which didn't noticeably improve their game, collects dust in the basement or gets sold off for pennies. "Yeah, that one didn't work out...but THIS one...!?!"

I'm like your second friend, I'm more likely to buy a 2-3 year old model off of somebody else who has upgraded. But I'm so used to my sticks...they all have the loft and shaft stiffness I like. Even if I bought a used one, I'd have to spend more money to get it re-fitted, and I'm just not that serious a duffer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit my newest at Dicks for a while and had the guy there help me adjust it to best hit my drives. It helped.

We did some basic fitting, shaft flex, weight, grip size, but no clubface adjustment in the store...I've played around with it at the range on my own, but have always left it neutral.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar...I'm using an old Orlimar driver from the late 90's. And I use a very flexible shaft and a higher degree of loft. I don't have a 100-MPH swing speed, so a 9.5-10.5 degree loft with a super stiff shaft (woooOOOO!) isn't going to get me down the fairway

Oh I remember ole Jesse Ortiz...lol.

Had a 3w...the low profile driver never worked for me, but I was nailing that 3w until I broke the shaft.

What I've found interesting is if you started playing golf in your 30s like I did, or later most of us weekend golfers are destined to be playing in the 80s or 90s for life whether you had lessons or not.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I remember ole Jesse Ortiz...lol.

Had a 3w...the low profile driver never worked for me, but I was nailing that 3w until I broke the shaft.

What I've found interesting is if you started playing golf in your 30s like I did, or later most of us weekend golfers are destined to be playing in the 80s or 90s for life whether you had lessons or not.

I hear ya...I only got interested in golf in my late 20's, but I never really played until after 40. I bought a ton of old/used equipment, got a copy of Bantam Ben's book, and started going to the range every weekend. Back then, I would hit ANYTHING, including a set of wooden MacGregors...I figured out which shafts I liked best, that I preferred blades to cavities -- and that I was going to suck at it for the rest of my life.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...I don't get some of these guys. They're NEVER going to get much better than they are without some lessons (and maybe even not then), but every time there's a new driver out, they go waste big money on it... while the one they bought last year, which didn't noticeably improve their game, collects dust in the basement or gets sold off for pennies. "Yeah, that one didn't work out...but THIS one...!?!"

I'm like your second friend, I'm more likely to buy a 2-3 year old model off of somebody else who has upgraded. But I'm so used to my sticks...they all have the loft and shaft stiffness I like. Even if I bought a used one, I'd have to spend more money to get it re-fitted, and I'm just not that serious a duffer.
I mean, he's a better golfer than I am and he hits the ball a mile...but he is too reliant on his tools instead of going out and working to shave off those strokes

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya...I only got interested in golf in my late 20's, but I never really played until after 40. I bought a ton of old/used equipment, got a copy of Bantam Ben's book, and started going to the range every weekend. Back then, I would hit ANYTHING, including a set of wooden MacGregors...I figured out which shafts I liked best, that I preferred blades to cavities -- and that I was going to suck at it for the rest of my life.

I was 35-36 when I started playing...got a set of clubs, bag and lessons for fathers day. Back when I was running my own biz, I was able to practice often and played two, sometimes three times a week and got my game down to an 8.4 index...then the bottom fell out of the economy...had to put my sticks down for a couple of yrs and get a real job....:nod:

When I started back, I got a whole new bag, I think my old 4H is the only club remaining....it's been a long ride back...no where close to my low index, but I'm a proud weekend hack...lol