• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your Expectations for Joe Burrow in the NFL his Rookie Year?

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be a Kirk Cousins type quarterback. 70% completion percentage but won't wow you with much.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't foresee a Mahomes like start for Burrow, but in a couple of years he will settle in to what he's going to be as a pro. The Bengals prefer to build thru the draft which is good, but it takes time. He will have his #11 overall LT back next year. Solid RB, and you mentioned the WRs...se shall see.
I wouldn't say a 'Mahomes like' start but Burrow should come out of the gates starting day 1. Burrow is two years older than your average prospect.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you factor in that Mahomes sat for a year and joined a playoff quality team with multiple quality targets, he could be Mahomes-ish but without all the wins. Burrow simply won't be starting off with as much talent around him as Mahomes did (and was able to sit and learn for a year).

You could be right, but remember this Mahomes kid put up 5k/50td/12INTs in his 1st full year as a starter. I don't see Burrow really being that kind of good in year one....almost unrealistic to consider it when you look at the talent around him and coaching.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say a 'Mahomes like' start but Burrow should come out of the gates starting day 1. Burrow is two years older than your average prospect.

Considering what CIN has at QB now and JB's draft position...I'd say it's highly likely that he starts week one in CIN if that's where he indeed ends up.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will have a career that mirrors his fellow LSU Tiger brother: JaMarcus Russell

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to be a very good 1. I can see him being among the top 10-15 QB's in the NFL for most of his career.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has a similar skill set as Tony Romo... Same kinda QB mold imo...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right, but remember this Mahomes kid put up 5k/50td/12INTs in his 1st full year as a starter. I don't see Burrow really being that kind of good in year one....almost unrealistic to consider it when you look at the talent around him and coaching.

There is plenty of talent still when healthy. Need some more offensive line.

Then you speak of coaching, but have only seen one year of Taylor. Shanahan of the 49ers went 4-12 the year before, had the #2 overall draft pick, and then turned it around with a 13 win season. So then you talk about talent.

Cincinnati with Burrow still has:

Joe Mixon at HB
Tyler Eifert at TE (possibly - year and half removed from injury and stayed healthy all year)
AJ Green, if he comes back (has at least two good years left in him if he can stay healthy)
Tyler Boyd (back to back 1000 yard seasons)
John Ross (can be very dynamic when healthy)
Plus, I am actually liking what I am seeing from Auden Tate at WR.

Jonah Williams will be coming back healthy for next year, our 1st round pick from this last year at LT.
We picked up a huge kid from Pittsburgh who played LT for us the last couple games and in 82 offensive plays didn't allow a sack, a pressure, a QB hit. Small sample size. Hopkins has done really well as a center also. We need to work on guards, but Michael Jordan started playing better down the stretch also in his rookie campaign.

I can see some offensive line help needed, and I could even agree with maybe a WR to help offset the amount of injuries our players go through. But that is not a sleeper offense with the right QB running the show.

Defense, that is a different story. We really need to infuse our LB core with more talent. The young DB's are starting to come around, like Phillips and Bates.

DL..still have a few good players in Atkins, Dunlap and Hubbard. Can use a little more there for rotation, but the core is solid at least for another year or two. Special teams, maybe a new field goal kicker, but we have good special teams play.

Once again, the teams in the NFL are only a few players, injuries away from going 12-4 from a 4-12 season. That is why parity in the NFL is so fantastic. Any given season, any given game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is plenty of talent still when healthy. Need some more offensive line.

Then you speak of coaching, but have only seen one year of Taylor. Shanahan of the 49ers went 4-12 the year before, had the #2 overall draft pick, and then turned it around with a 13 win season. So then you talk about talent.

Cincinnati with Burrow still has:

Joe Mixon at HB
Tyler Eifert at TE (possibly - year and half removed from injury and stayed healthy all year)
AJ Green, if he comes back (has at least two good years left in him if he can stay healthy)
Tyler Boyd (back to back 1000 yard seasons)
John Ross (can be very dynamic when healthy)
Plus, I am actually liking what I am seeing from Auden Tate at WR.

Jonah Williams will be coming back healthy for next year, our 1st round pick from this last year at LT.
We picked up a huge kid from Pittsburgh who played LT for us the last couple games and in 82 offensive plays didn't allow a sack, a pressure, a QB hit. Small sample size. Hopkins has done really well as a center also. We need to work on guards, but Michael Jordan started playing better down the stretch also in his rookie campaign.

I can see some offensive line help needed, and I could even agree with maybe a WR to help offset the amount of injuries our players go through. But that is not a sleeper offense with the right QB running the show.

Defense, that is a different story. We really need to infuse our LB core with more talent. The young DB's are starting to come around, like Phillips and Bates.

DL..still have a few good players in Atkins, Dunlap and Hubbard. Can use a little more there for rotation, but the core is solid at least for another year or two. Special teams, maybe a new field goal kicker, but we have good special teams play.

Once again, the teams in the NFL are only a few players, injuries away from going 12-4 from a 4-12 season. That is why parity in the NFL is so fantastic. Any given season, any given game.

That all sounds good Crash and not much push back from me on what possibly could happen, but we're talking about monumental numbers by Mahomes LY...if Mahomes was a 1st yr starter again, I wouldn't project or expect those number from him even so no slight on Burrow. That's a very high bar.

CIN...being in DIV, we know the CIN talent pretty well and you're right they still do have some talent.

Coaching...yeah, we don't know what Taylor will do in yr 2, but mentioning Shanny, a bit more established as an offensive mind imo...had the Falcons on an unreal OFC run in 2016 before taking over in SF. And obviously Reid in KC is known as an OFC guru to some degree.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this made me laugh

81958173_136636251130616_8168830267151089664_n.jpg

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all sounds good Crash and not much push back from me on what possibly could happen, but we're talking about monumental numbers by Mahomes LY...if Mahomes was a 1st yr starter again, I wouldn't project or expect those number from him even so no slight on Burrow. That's a very high bar.

CIN...being in DIV, we know the CIN talent pretty well and you're right they still do have some talent.

Coaching...yeah, we don't know what Taylor will do in yr 2, but mentioning Shanny, a bit more established as an offensive mind imo...had the Falcons on an unreal OFC run in 2016 before taking over in SF. And obviously Reid in KC is known as an OFC guru to some degree.

I was never going to compare him to Mahomes. The season Mahomes had was other worldly. Never expect that kind of season from greats more less a guy that has never taken a snap in the NFL.

I can see Burrow maybe doing:

68% completion / 4,100 yards / 25 TD's / 10 INT's

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he’ll be a stud.

He can make all the throws, has excellent field vision, is mobile and tough to bring down

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never going to compare him to Mahomes. The season Mahomes had was other worldly. Never expect that kind of season from greats more less a guy that has never taken a snap in the NFL.

I can see Burrow maybe doing:

68% completion / 4,100 yards / 25 TD's / 10 INT's

Okay...we're on the same page there.

As for your expectations...feasible but iffy imo...that would probably be a lock for ROTY.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's my point though. He could flash similar ability to Mahomes, but the stats are unlikely to match up because of the team he's going to.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point though. He could flash similar ability to Mahomes, but the stats are unlikely to match up because of the team he's going to.

True, we'll have to wait and see. imo projecting Mahomes like (stats or even arm talent) is something I'm not prepared to do based on seeing him play a handful of games at the college level.