• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Joe Alt from Notre Dame will skip Sun Bowl and enter the NFL Draft. What are your thoughts on him?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, I did a thread on the top offensive tackle prospects and there shockingly was a lot of interest. What do you guys think of Joe Alt? He's projected to be the first offensive tackle taken off the board.

Basic facts about him:
- 20 years old. Will be 21 on February 28th.
- His father, John Alt, played offensive tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs between 1984 and 1996.
- His brother, Mark Alt, is a professional Hockey player.
- Played for Notre Dame between 2021 and 2023.
- 6'8, 332 pounds
- Only gave up 1 sack within the last two seasons.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's my personal choice for OT1 over Penn State's Olu Fashanu and Alabama's JC Latham.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve watched him for years and think he’s overrated. I think he’s better suited to play RT.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is a Trent Williams in this draft class which is why I don't want my team to take a LT in the top 5 despite the obvious need. But he will be a solid plug and play guy who could be a foundation piece for a lot of years for the team that takes him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is a Trent Williams in this draft class which is why I don't want my team to take a LT in the top 5 despite the obvious need. But he will be a solid plug and play guy who could be a foundation piece for a lot of years for the team that takes him.

Washington may be in position to trade down, unless they're thinking QB to replace Howell (wouldn't be my move). I don't see the elite edge guy in the top 5 either (at least not without concerns, like Latu's health).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington may be in position to trade down, unless they're thinking QB to replace Howell (wouldn't be my move). I don't see the elite edge guy in the top 5 either (at least not without concerns, like Latu's health).

I was hoping that one of the QBs would be there and they could trade back, getting a first next season as well as the first this draft from the other team to fill the LT hole. Then roll with Howell and if it does not work use that extra 1st to trade up. But Howell's regression I'm sure has them thinking QB this draft, assuming they lose out they will get a rare top 5 pick and there is no guarantee they can pick that high next year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping that one of the QBs would be there and they could trade back, getting a first next season as well as the first this draft from the other team to fill the LT hole. Then roll with Howell and if it does not work use that extra 1st to trade up. But Howell's regression I'm sure has them thinking QB this draft, assuming they lose out they will get a rare top 5 pick and there is no guarantee they can pick that high next year.

I would give Howell another year, betting on OL improvement to stabilize and boost his performance. Giving Brissett another year would be key though, as a fall back.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give Howell another year, betting on OL improvement to stabilize and boost his performance. Giving Brissett another year would be key though, as a fall back.

That has been my thought all along, I'd like to see what he can do with even average protection because he can obviously deliver the ball. But he has really been crappy the last month and now I'm not so certain, we all know there have been a ton of young QBs who show flashes but never amount to dick.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, I did a thread on the top offensive tackle prospects and there shockingly was a lot of interest. What do you guys think of Joe Alt? He's projected to be the first offensive tackle taken off the board.

Basic facts about him:
- 20 years old. Will be 21 on February 28th.
- His father, John Alt, played offensive tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs between 1984 and 1996.
- His brother, Mark Alt, is a professional Hockey player.
- Played for Notre Dame between 2021 and 2023.
- 6'8, 332 pounds
- Only gave up 1 sack within the last two seasons.

Overrated a 1st round pick but not a top ten pick - maybe not 1st OT pick.....

"he has issues with his anchor because he is stiff and doesn’t bend well. That lack of bend is a challenging issue given how tall Alt is."

he has issues with his anchor because he is stiff and doesn’t bend well. That lack of bend is a challenging issue given how tall Alt is.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily a top 10, possibly top 5 pick. Personally, I'm not thrilled with all these super high draft picks skipping their bowl games. It gives us all a huge opportunity to see how they perform on a big time stage and most likely on national TV to boot. But I more than understand how they don't want to risk injury when they're this close to becoming high draft picks.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a QB draft Obviously with many going in the top 10 and probably 2 and maybe 3 in the top 5 depending how teams finish. So saying Alt is not a top 5 pick is not an insult. He is a big white stiff and probably needs to lose a few pounds. He is talented enough to go in the top 10 IMO though.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a QB draft Obviously with many going in the top 10 and probably 2 and maybe 3 in the top 5 depending how teams finish. So saying Alt is not a top 5 pick is not an insult. He is a big white stiff and probably needs to lose a few pounds. He is talented enough to go in the top 10 IMO though.
Agreed. He will have some "culture shock" in the NFL when he is exposed to the speed of a top pass rusher running right around him.
He is going to struggle with guys like Donald slamming into him and bending him at in his stiff stance.....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only watched 1 game of his so I'll defer to Notre Dame fans for the part. Quick on his feet, uses his length to initiate. I don't think he plays with great leverage but his length and speed affords him the ability to get pushed back at the college level. I'm reminded a little of Eric Fisher who took a couple of years to develop but once he did he was actually a solid starter against most players but really struggled against HOF level talent who had speed, power, and leverage (James Harrison and Nick Bosa to be specific). Alt is coming from Notre Dame so I don't think he'll have those initial struggles that Fisher did. I did compare Kolten Miller to Fisher coming out and I think he also took a couple of years to go from low-end starter to really solid starter. If you get that player without the 2 year development aspect then thats probably worth pick 10 but only if your team already has a top WR and QB and needs an OT.

If I'm a fan of a team that runs a lot, I think I'd rather have the Penn St and Bama OT. Honestly a good fit on the Chiefs but the Chiefs would have to miss the playoffs, find a receiver, and Alt would have to have something go wrong in the offseason for that to happen. Titans I could see.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has been my thought all along, I'd like to see what he can do with even average protection because he can obviously deliver the ball. But he has really been crappy the last month and now I'm not so certain, we all know there have been a ton of young QBs who show flashes but never amount to dick.

Yeah, his late season slide forces their hand, especially getting the #2 overall pick. QB is the move, Howell can be traded (although the return won't be great of course).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily a top 10, possibly top 5 pick. Personally, I'm not thrilled with all these super high draft picks skipping their bowl games. It gives us all a huge opportunity to see how they perform on a big time stage and most likely on national TV to boot. But I more than understand how they don't want to risk injury when they're this close to becoming high draft picks.

That exposure looked good for Bama's RT Latham until that blown play in OT on 4th down.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, his late season slide forces their hand, especially getting the #2 overall pick. QB is the move, Howell can be traded (although the return won't be great of course).
Howell is a bit of a wild card and an enigma. He can be absolutely fantastic one game and completely awful the next. Just too inconsistent but if he can eliminate even half of the dumb turnovers and not be so reckless, he could be a pretty decent QB, I think.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's going to be a top 10 pick, and should be a solid NFL player, but he doesn't seem to be in the class of guys like Laremy Tunsil who have come out in the past decade.

I'm really intrigued by JC Latham of 'Bama as an NFL RT and think he might turn out to be the best tackle in this class. But he's a RT, and LT is the premium position, so he will probably go third among the OTs as others have noted.

I would love to see Philly get Latham, and the Eagles have an extra second rounder to potentially move up with, but I think he's be gone in the top 15 and moving up from 25 may be too expensive.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of Washington, what they should do is trade down or take Marvin Harrison Jr.

What they will actually do is take Maye and suck more.