• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz or Mayfield: who would you rather have?

who would you rather have?

• Wentz

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Mayfield

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Potato salad

Votes: 12 12.9%

• Total voters

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not really what he said (the bad play not his fault aspect).

So the Beacon Journal's Marla Ridenour, who's been covering the team for a while now (I remember her from before I left NE Ohio more than 16 years ago) got it all wrong?

So she got away with making up quotes BM didn't say? Because if that's not what he really said then she's lying. Not sure I buy that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Beacon Journal's Marla Ridenour, who's been covering the team for a while now (I remember her from before I left NE Ohio more than 16 years ago) got it all wrong?

So she got away with making up quotes BM didn't say? Because if that's not what he really said then she's lying. Not sure I buy that.
No. I think you got it wrong. Part I recall was not about Baker not being accountable as he did hold himself accountable.....but, yes, he did mention teammates not being motivated and that should not have been said. Foolish.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think you got it wrong. Part I recall was not about Baker not being accountable as he did hold himself accountable.....-->but, yes, he did mention teammates not being motivated and that should not have been said. Foolish.<--

What have I gotten wrong? In one comment you say things were overblown and he was joking around. Then in another comment you acknowledge he badmouthed his teammates and said he shouldn't have said that.

I mean, I saw the podcast and it was -->a bit overblown.<-- A couple things he shouldn't have said but was mostly guys -->joking around<-- and most of his comments about the Browns were positive.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What have I gotten wrong? In one comment you say things were overblown and he was joking around. Then in another comment you acknowledge he badmouthed his teammates and said he shouldn't have said that.
Try and follow please.....the entire podcast was overblown IMO as the vast majority was guys joking around and most of his comments about the Browns were positive. Yes, in the entire podcast he made one (maybe even a couple) comments he should not have made where he questioned some teammates.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try and follow please.....the entire podcast was overblown IMO as the vast majority was guys joking around and most of his comments about the Browns were positive. Yes, in the entire podcast he made one (maybe even a couple) comments he should not have made where he questioned some teammates.

Of course it was overblown.

Okay time to move on.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More I think about it, the Panthers did a great job on this trade. Forced Mayfield to take a pay reduction (so that he can repair his image... which needs repairing), only counts $5M against the cap (if Mayfield ends up starting that's a HUGE win), gave up a 5th/4th rd pick. Not bad if (and that's a big IF) they've finally found their permanent starter.

Of course, Mayfield needs to perform - and the running game, overall weapons and o-line aren't following him from Cleveland.

I predict fairly mediocre results. IMO, Mayfields confidence level doesn't match his skillset and he doesn't appear to be a "locker room" guy. Maturity is an issue, and he's gonna need a lot of it to manage life in Carolina.

Not rooting against him... hope it works out. But also think he could have handled himself a lot better these last 12 months. Time will tell if he's learned anything from it.

BTW - Cleveland, if you're looking for a solid "locker room" guy while you wait for the Watson storm to blow over, Jimmy G is over here waiting to find a new home... Would hate for Seattle to pick him up if we have to cut him at the end of training camp! It'll only cost you a 3rd :D

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would hate for Seattle to pick him up if we have to cut him at the end of training camp!
Seahawks would not be interested in another QB AFTER training camp. Pretty certain of that, don't even think they are interested in another QB BEFORE training camp. Depending on the outcome of the Watson hearing the Cleveland could be Jimmys new home.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks would not be interested in another QB AFTER training camp. Pretty certain of that, don't even think they are interested in another QB BEFORE training camp. Depending on the outcome of the Watson hearing the Cleveland could be Jimmys new home.
Yeah... I know what Pete and the FO are saying. But these teams have a history of snatching up each other's players (mostly SEA snatching up SF players), and I have a feeling SEA is playing the waiting game since JG announced his surgery. Could certainly be wrong, but wouldn't be surprised at all. Geno and Lock aren't scaring anyone in the division (JG wouldn't either), but at least they'd end up with a guy that spent 4+ yrs inside of Shanahan's playbook with a ton of professionalism who could bridge them to next year's draft and potentially a year beyond. JG > Geno/Lock isn't he?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... I know what Pete and the FO are saying. But these teams have a history of snatching up each other's players (mostly SEA snatching up SF players), and I have a feeling SEA is playing the waiting game since JG announced his surgery. Could certainly be wrong, but wouldn't be surprised at all. Geno and Lock aren't scaring anyone in the division (JG wouldn't either), but at least they'd end up with a guy that spent 4+ yrs inside of Shanahan's playbook with a ton of professionalism who could bridge them to next year's draft and potentially a year beyond. JG > Geno/Lock isn't he?
Well we will see, but I think your dead wrong. For one thing teams would want a new QB to be in camp to learn the plays, the offense and the system and get familiar with the players he needs chemistry with. After camp Jimmy values drops like a rock except as insurance as a backup IMO.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we will see, but I think your dead wrong. For one thing teams would want a new QB to be in camp to learn the plays, the offense and the system and get familiar with the players he needs chemistry with. After camp Jimmy values drops like a rock except as insurance as a backup IMO.
All things being equal, I would agree with you. But these are the 9ers and Seahawks. Sacrificing 3-4 weeks on the front end of the schedule while JG gets up to speed wouldn't be that outlandish for a Seattle team that is basically in tank mode. I have to imagine that keeping the locker room together next year will be somewhat of a priority for them. There are 51 players not named Geno/Lock that will want to make some sort of showing.

I think we know who Geno is at this point in his career. Lock could surprise and be enough to bridge. Just a hunch... not something I'm taking to the bank.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things being equal, I would agree with you. But these are the 9ers and Seahawks. Sacrificing 3-4 weeks on the front end of the schedule while JG gets up to speed wouldn't be that outlandish for a Seattle team that is basically in tank mode. I have to imagine that keeping the locker room together next year will be somewhat of a priority for them. There are 51 players not named Geno/Lock that will want to make some sort of showing.

I think we know who Geno is at this point in his career. Lock could surprise and be enough to bridge. Just a hunch... not something I'm taking to the bank.
Seahawks have other teams in the division to worry about. Don't see Jimmy doing well behind a OL which is a work in progress and hitting receivers deep down field isn't his strong point. Pete is following the plan he used when he first became HC for the Seahawks which is first build a strong roster , THEN worry about finding a franchise QB. This season is about building a core group and developing them, adding another bridge QB is counter productive because the assets wasted could/would be used on players that could improve the core. Just how much difference would Jimmy make against teams like the Rams,49ers, Chiefs, Chargers ect? Hardly any as the Seahawks don't yet have the roster to beat those teams. Next year with plentiful draft capitol and cap space hopefully that changes. Jimmy isn't going to the Seahawks, you can bank on that.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks have other teams in the division to worry about. Don't see Jimmy doing well behind a OL which is a work in progress and hitting receivers deep down field isn't his strong point. Pete is following the plan he used when he first became HC for the Seahawks which is first build a strong roster , THEN worry about finding a franchise QB. This season is about building a core group and developing them, adding another bridge QB is counter productive because the assets wasted could/would be used on players that could improve the core. Just how much difference would Jimmy make against teams like the Rams,49ers, Chiefs, Chargers ect? Hardly any as the Seahawks don't yet have the roster to beat those teams. Next year with plentiful draft capitol and cap space hopefully that changes. Jimmy isn't going to the Seahawks, you can bank on that.
Isn't my intention to go down a rat hole here, but Seattle has more than enough cap room in 2023 to take care of DK and sign a professional bridge QB. Pete's plan was bailed out by drafting a generational talent in Wilson. I hear what you're saying, but it seems to me that they are leaving themselves with a ton of flexibility. And it isn't about whether JG actually wins those games - it's about how he deals with the locker room, FO and media when they lose those games.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't my intention to go down a rat hole here, but Seattle has more than enough cap room in 2023 to take care of DK and sign a professional bridge QB. Pete's plan was bailed out by drafting a generational talent in Wilson. I hear what you're saying, but it seems to me that they are leaving themselves with a ton of flexibility. And it isn't about whether JG actually wins those games - it's about how he deals with the locker room, FO and media when they lose those games.
Enough space maybe, but they can use that space on core players. Seahawks Superbowl run was fueled by the strong roster Pete built, Wilson was just a cog doing his part and his part wasn't anything like say Mahomes part in the Chiefs Super Bowl run. Strong defense, strong running game and RW not screwing things up by turning over the ball and making the occasional completion when asked to. That Super Bowl belongs to Pete not RW.
Pete has no problem talking to the press after a lost, don't need Jimmy for that.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough space maybe, but they can use that space on core players. Seahawks Superbowl run was fueled by the strong roster Pete built, Wilson was just a cog doing his part and his part wasn't anything like say Mahomes part in the Chiefs Super Bowl run. Strong defense, strong running game and RW not screwing things up by turning over the ball and making the occasional completion when asked to. That Super Bowl belongs to Pete not RW.
Pete has no problem talking to the press after a lost, don't need Jimmy for that.
Man, you've been spoiled having RW for the last decade. Pete's a good coach and built a fantastic defense. RW helped the organization take it to the next level. Everything else sounds like post-hoc rationalization. Seattle doesn't need Jimmy - but if he's cut, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they try to pick him up.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, you've been spoiled having RW for the last decade. Pete's a good coach and built a fantastic defense. RW helped the organization take it to the next level. Everything else sounds like post-hoc rationalization. Seattle doesn't need Jimmy - but if he's cut, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they try to pick him up.
Yes was a blessing having RW, but all good things come to an end and the time had arrived. Pete knows how to build a contender and yes finding a franchise QB is on the need list, but it doesn't have to be the next Patrick Mahomes, just need say a Dak Presscott type. Someone with enough skills and that should be possible although not a sure thing or an easy thing to find. I like the rebuild so far, in fact think this was the best draft since say 2012 for the Seahawks. Next years draft is going to be crucial. In the meantime I got to say this has been a very exciting time to be a Seahawk fan, football is so much more fun then it's been in years. Now I just have to hope it works out.:hope:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@dtgold88 @Shanemansj13 @Stakesarehigh

Browns' Baker Mayfield era ends: too short, too slow, too cocky (from the akron beacon journal)

Some parts of the article.

After last season, Browns players spoke out, saying their unity and brotherhood were not tight enough.

Mayfield, seeking a new team after the Watsons trade and the singings of QB's J. Brissett & J. Dobbs, did himself no favors in terms of convincing potential employers he could be a team-building leader with his comments "Ya never know: You know what I mean?" podcast.

His comments are stunning bullshit and proof he's way too arrogant and takes no accountability for his own bad play.

"It's a huge battle within the locker room in my position being a QB. Some of these guys don't play the game because they love it, they're playing it to get a retirement fund. They're making tons of a million dollars and they don't care about winning."

"How can I get the best out of people that are making a shit-ton of money? I could always motivate people when we weren't making money. That was easy. I can get in their face; I can do all that...You're trying to get to that level"

What a jackass.
This can't be true?

dt has told us on multiple occassions these and other comments were only rumors. Heck, one or even two players came out and said something nice about BM. I'm throwing the bs flag on this one.

LOL

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gave up way too much for this guy. Though it does set up an anti-elite competition between Sam and Baker best labeled "battle of the busts".
You got a steal. A one year starter for 5M and a 5th.

He likely isn't your long term answer but he is better than Darnold.