• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz or Mayfield: who would you rather have?

who would you rather have?

• Wentz

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Mayfield

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Potato salad

Votes: 12 12.9%

• Total voters

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns want to go after him, they are much better off waiting for him to be cut. There really isn't a market for JG right now.
while not a 49er fan so don't follow them would think they would think the same as I did abot Baker here.....no reason to cut him and potentially pay nearly his entire salary to beat you. Unless 49ers need the cap space?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His seat isnt as hot as you probably think. A 7-9 team and he probably sticks around simply because of the ridiculous contract that that Panthers gave him.

The bigger part of the trade is that the Panthers are eating only $5m of his contract and the Browns are on the hook for $10.5M.

Terrible trade for Cleveland. But at least they are done.
The Carolina owner isn't very happy and when the owner isn't happy.....the coach is on the hot seat.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while not a 49er fan so don't follow them would think they would think the same as I did abot Baker here.....no reason to cut him and potentially pay nearly his entire salary to beat you. Unless 49ers need the cap space?
They need to pay some of their players soon.

Mainly Bosa.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't want Jimmy G looming over the development of Lance longer than you have to. Niners did the bit to build up Jimmy's trade value and it didn't work out for a variety of reasons. Cap is always an opportunity cost as well.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfair ending for the qb that led them to their first playoff win in a zillion years.

Hate the trade for Watson. Hate this trade.
Cannot say I'm a fan of it and would really question this FO if Watson gets a long suspension and JB is the starter for the season.

short suspension or a deal for JG.....?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, the Browns signed away their future on a QB that won't play for them this season. Then kicked the QB that played through his injury for them to the curb.
The browns may not make .500 this season.
Or Watson plays half the season or more and the Browns improve on the 8-9 season they had with an awful/injured Baker?

But, sure, deal could bite us.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot say I'm a fan of it and would really question this FO if Watson gets a long suspension and JB is the starter for the season.

short suspension or a deal for JG.....?

I just think they didn't do their homework on his pending suspension. I was convinced they had a good handle on what he'd get.

Reckless deal when they've made so many good decisions.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand this.

Clearly Baker wanted to do what is best for him, and that was to be in Cleveland for the next year while Watson is suspended. Clearly the best way forward for the Browns was to keep Baker and have him in the drivers' seat for 2022 with a roster set to compete. I mean - this was clear as day to at least one very persistent poster....I just don't understand....

On a serious note - as I think most on here have said - Cleveland ends up eating most of his salary (about 2/3 after the reduction) and gets a 5th rounder. Conditional 4th works, as if Baker wins with Carolina - it's a win win. Either way, a 4th/5th for 5M and Mayfield ain't bad at all. Winners all the way around for Mayfield and Carolina.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do.... already had to restructure 3 players to keep him past the March deadline. Now they need to deal with Deebo. JG's surgery really threw a monkey wrench in their offseason plans.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to pay some of their players soon.

Mainly Bosa.
Prolly Deebo before Bosa. Local word is that Bosa is gonna be focused on tearing up the league during his final year under contract to max out his payday in 2024.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think they didn't do their homework on his pending suspension. I was convinced they had a good handle on what he'd get.

Reckless deal when they've made so many good decisions.
I mean if he gets a long suspension, sure, but if it's a short one could certainly argue they had a good idea it would not be as long as many have speculated.

As we've discussed (and think we agree) even if worse case of a full year we still get Watson for half a decade and a shit ton of cap room next season. Now if Baker balls out and/or Watson cannot be what he was it's definitely fair to rip the FO.....and, sure, fair to rip them now though things could end up as they planned.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't see the point of releasing him. If you're stuck with him, you're stuck with him. He's not abjectly awful. Idk what Cleveland's cap situation is and how long Watson is suspended, but if there is a way to make that work...
they save 25 mil by releasing jimmy g or have a 26 mil back up

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe... but they probably don't "have" to. They can most likely wait until he's released, then bid for his services against the Seahawks. If they have >$40M of cap space, they can overpay for one year compared to Seattle.

Who knows... maybe they do it just to make sure he doesn't hit the market? Unless there's an injury, I just can't see too many teams vying for JG's services right now.
Yeah but if you lose him you're rolling with Brissett or some other scrub all year and wasting the entire season. Id rather give up the 5th. If SF wants more tell them to kick rocks but it doesn't hurt to try

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand this.

Clearly Baker wanted to do what is best for him, and that was to be in Cleveland for the next year while Watson is suspended. Clearly the best way forward for the Browns was to keep Baker and have him in the drivers' seat for 2022 with a roster set to compete. I mean - this was clear as day to at least one very persistent poster....I just don't understand....

On a serious note - as I think most on here have said - Cleveland ends up eating most of his salary (about 2/3 after the reduction) and gets a 5th rounder. Conditional 4th works, as if Baker wins with Carolina - it's a win win. Either way, a 4th/5th for 5M and Mayfield ain't bad at all. Winners all the way around for Mayfield and Carolina.
I mean, the persistent poster you refer to never said what is best for Baker is staying here. In fact, said if Watson wont be missing the season and gets a short suspension there is almost zero chance he stays. Also said best thing for Browns is Watson gets a short suspension or no suspension and they ride it out with JB. If you want to make it up/lie, please be more creative.

I guess you forgot that many (maybe even most) at one time said Baker will be released when the persistent poster said there is almost zero chance that would happen.

Does that help you understand?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, the Browns signed away their future on a QB that won't play for them this season. Then kicked the QB that played through his injury for them to the curb.
The browns may not make .500 this season.

Maybe not, but I think that they sold their souls and no matter what ownership is going to see this through. So I think that both the coach and GM are likely safe no matter how bad it gets for them in 22'.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but if you lose him you're rolling with Brissett or some other scrub all year and wasting the entire season. Id rather give up the 5th. If SF wants more tell them to kick rocks but it doesn't hurt to try
Makes sense, given the Brown's cap space. I'd say a 5th, maybe a 4th is the most that the 9ers could hope for in that trade.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not, but I think that they sold their souls and no matter what ownership is going to see this through. So I think that both the coach and GM are likely safe no matter how bad it gets for them in 22'.
Have said since he was acquired I liked it but could bite us. However, even if the guy misses an entire season we still have him for half a decade and a shit ton of cap space saved for next season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have said since he was acquired I liked it but could bite us. However, even if the guy misses an entire season we still have him for half a decade and a shit ton of cap space saved for next season.

You think at some point the Browns will have a Mayfield appreciation day at the stadium?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prolly Deebo before Bosa. Local word is that Bosa is gonna be focused on tearing up the league during his final year under contract to max out his payday in 2024.
Him too.

If they don't trade him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's Carolina.
Other than a select few, everyone that knew anything about Baker knew he wasn't ever playing another down for Cleveland